Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I use the replacement images for conditions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I use the replacement images for conditions?

I can't stand the current trend in cartoonish "flat" weather icons.
    I looked at 8 online sites, and they've all gone that way.

I have a pack of nice full color pngs I want to use.
    I see the replacement images menu and an entry area to designate the repository folder.

I don't see this in the help files.

Is it as simple as uploading the images and they are automatically substituted?

Or do I setup the conditions for the device?

I assume they have to be named correctly.
    Is there a table of conditions names for the icons for Weather Underground?

Will HSTouch use the same icons?

Thanks
    Last edited by Desert_AIP; December 17, 2017, 05:00 PM.

On the page labeled Images, there is the textbox to enter a directory to look for replacement images. The only requirement is that it can't be the same directory that the images are currently in. /Images/weatherXML/condition is where the weatherxml images are stored. You can add a new directory under condition if it will help to keep them straight. Ex. I have mine set in /Images/weatherXML/condition/replacements.
    Place the preferred images in the replacements directory.
    Then go to the Images page. You should see a column of the current images, followed by a column of the current image name. The last column will be a dropdown of the images in your replacement directory. Select the image from the dropdown to use. Wait for the page to reload and you should see your selected image in a fourth column. They do not have to have the same name because weatherxml will replace the name of the provided image with the image name of your selected replacement.
    --
    Jeff Farmer
    HS 3, HSPhone
    My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
    Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Thank you. Another thing to tinker with!

Comment

Hmmm.

I can only get the first image to substitute.
        When I select another to swap, it reverts to the "do not use substitute" entry.

When I select the image from the drop down, it doesn't display the image at all (like it does with the first item which is "clear").
        None of the other images work.

I see that if I change them in the device itself, they revert to the default icons on the next update.

Any tips?
        Thanks
        Last edited by Desert_AIP; December 19, 2017, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Kept trying today, got two more to substitute in.
          Surprised me.
          I noticed when it worked that the page refreshed as soon as I selected the file.
          I saw the message "waiting for (my up address)" in the URL tab, then the page updated and the substitute image "took". It also still remembered yesterday's single substitution.

I've tried rebooting the server and plugin and using both tablets and windows machines to access the page, with several browsers.
          I don't know which combination is a really triggering the page to refresh.

Frustrating, but promising.

Comment

Is there a file I can just edit manually?
            Once it accepts a replacement, it saves and is using it, but I can't get any more to switch over.
            I'd like to just open a file and type in the substitutes.

Comment

OK, I found the hspi_weatherXML.ini file.

I edited it manually, but none of the edits "took".
              That's the correct file. It updates if I change the pixel size setting.
              But it doesn't accept the manual entries of replace_

It does still recognize the 3 it's already added on its own. I used those as a template but there might be a parameter elsewhere I am unaware of.

Interesting

The file substitutes the .gif extension for _gif.
              When I noticed that subtle difference the manual edits took.
              Last edited by Desert_AIP; December 21, 2017, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Sorry about the late response. I have been stuck in training the last couple of days.

The changes to the ini file won't take affect if the plugin is running. You would need to stop the plugin and then restart it. The ini files are only read on plugin startup.

Issues with the data being saved to the ini files is why I am moving as much as possible out of the ini files.
                --
                Jeff Farmer
                HS 3, HSPhone
                Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Jeff, I just started using image replacement - I have the image page figured out, and my main HS Touch displays are using the new images just fine.

But my hourly images, from the WUHourly1 xml are still using the actual WU images. They aren't being replaced. I guess these are being pulled live direct from HST?

Expected?

Comment

Originally posted by grtaylor View Post
                    Jeff, I just started using image replacement - I have the image page figured out, and my main HS Touch displays are using the new images just fine.

But my hourly images, from the WUHourly1 xml are still using the actual WU images. They aren't being replaced. I guess these are being pulled live direct from HST?

Expected?
                    The WUHourly1.xml is not imported. It is just saved on the server and displays the data.
                    The images don't follow the replacement.
                    --
                    Jeff Farmer
                    HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Thanks for confirming.

Comment

Working...
                      X