No announcement yet.

Startup Error: Startup.vb: could not find library 'Scheduler.dll' - Solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Startup Error: Startup.vb: could not find library 'Scheduler.dll' - Solution

I just happened to look at my log after starting and saw this failure for Startup.vb - is this a known issue?

--------------------------------
    Dec-28 5:24:12 PM Z-Wave Starting Z-Wave Polling...
    Dec-28 5:24:03 PM Web Server Web Server authorized local login successful from: 192.168.1.72 User: default
    Dec-28 5:23:58 PM Z-Wave ************************************************************ *******************
    Dec-28 5:23:58 PM Z-Wave STARTUP COMPLETE: All configured interfaces were successfully initialized.
    Dec-28 5:23:58 PM Z-Wave ************************************************************ *******************
    Dec-28 5:23:58 PM Startup Start up complete.
    Dec-28 5:23:58 PM Startup HSSentry is disabled in Setup, sentry will not be started.
    Dec-28 5:23:58 PM Error Compiling script Startup.vb: compiler initialization failed unexpectedly: The system cannot find the file specified.
    Dec-28 5:23:58 PM Error Compiling script Startup.vb: could not find library 'Scheduler.dll'

Dec-28 5:23:57 PM Startup Running the startup script Startup.vb
    Dec-28 5:23:57 PM HSTouch Server Server started on port 10200
    Dec-28 5:23:56 PM Startup Starting DDNS service...
    Last edited by centerisland; January 5, 2014, 07:42 PM. Reason: Found Solution - NOT - Maybe?

I've had this happen quite often as well. I don't know why. I shut down and restart and sometimes it clears, sometimes it takes a few restarts.

Eventually it has always cleared.

Comment

Are you guys auto starting HomeSeer by any chance? If so how are you auto starting?
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

This was killing me - I saw mentions about problems running scripts and I didn't make the direct connection. But it meant that my events wouldn't run when in auto-running mode - and if the espresso machine doesn't turn on at 5:00am, then all hell breaks loose and the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) of my home automation "project" goes to zero.

So today - on my last day of "holiday", I had to either make HS3 work or go back to HS2 and tackle it again in the summer when perhaps a new build would change things. I tried a variety of Task startup settings, but ended up getting a different error when I tried entering a "Start in (optional)" parameter of "C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3", taken from the "Program / script" field. A short grovelling of TechNet brought me to an article titled "Windows Vista onwards scheduled tasks fail to run if the path in "Start in (Optional)" field has quotes". Removed the quoted, and it worked!

For the record I am running "Windows Server 2012 Essentials", this task is starting under my (renamed) Administrator account, it runs whether a user is logged on or not, and is configured to "Run with the highest privileges".

What you will not get is the HS3 UI window, but while you cannot kill HS3 successfully by ending the task in Task Manager.

Final Update: While HS3 starts up properly, actually running an event now fails.

Comment

Originally posted by centerisland View Post
          For the record I am running "Windows Server 2012 Essentials", this task is starting under my (renamed) Administrator account, it runs whether a user is logged on or not, and is configured to "Run with the highest privileges".

...Final Update: While HS3 starts up properly, actually running an event now fails.
          I'm not one to give up, so I dicked around with more Task Scheduler settings and appear to have a configuration that DOES work. It ran a scheduled event, the devices toggled, and the log was correct.

What changed: I removed "Run with highest priveleges" and changed the configuration to be "Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2".

If the espresso machine comes on in the morning I might stay with HS3.

Comment

For others who might hit an issue with this. I hit this issue even with the "Run with highest privileges" checked. It couldn't find Scheduler.dll. The key was to populate the "Start in (optional)" box with C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3

Comment

it's your "start in" directory

I had this happen because i was starting the app from a bat file. since my system has other apps i run on it (namely an app i wote -- netsense -- that detects if our cell phones are on the wifi, if not it arms the alarm, turns off the lights, disarms the alarm as soon as it finds one on wifi)

your problem is easily resolved by changing to the homeseer directory in your batch file prior to starting up homeseer

like this

Code:
              cd C:\data\Apps\homeseer\
              choice /t:2 /D:Y

start C:\data\Apps\homeseer\HS3.exe
              choice /t:20 /D:Y

i put a 2 second delay before starting homeseer for good measure, then 20 seconds to allow it to startup before netsense runs (which will disarm or arm the system through homeseer)

hope this helps, drove me nuts for . . . umm well . . . minutes.

Comment

thanks Michael,
                I'm running HS3 on a windows 8.1 machine, so the syntax for startup is slightly different, but doing the cd , then the HS3.exe worked for me also - no more scheduler.dll errors. I didn't even realize the errors were there until I tried another vb script and got the same error.

Comment

Thanks for this.
                  I changed the configuration type to Windows 7, Server 2008 and I added the "start in" path, so hopefully this resolves after next reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by madmax View Post
                    For others who might hit an issue with this. I hit this issue even with the "Run with highest privileges" checked. It couldn't find Scheduler.dll. The key was to populate the "Start in (optional)" box with C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3
                    I can vouch for this. Just moved my HS3 install from a very old P2V box to a new Windows 2012R2 Server box. I used the Sysinternals tool to set up auto-login (with encrypted password in the registry; the tool does this).

Scheduled Task to start HS3 was giving me grief with the "can't find Scheduler.dll" errors when running scripts.

This bit about populating the "Start in" field did it! It now starts up automatically and with no errors.

I could have had it start up without logging in first, but then you can't see the console/execution window. That's a preference, I suppose.

Thanks, madmax!!

Comment

Glad it helped!

Comment

Server 2012 update triggered error

Well, for the second or third time now in four years, HS fails with the "Error Compiling script Startup.vb: could not find library 'Scheduler.dll" in the log.

This occurred after a recent (last 5 days) update that Server 2012 installed.

I have my HS3 program installed in C:\HomeSeer HS3

What is the root cause for this?

It's hard to trust an automation application that can be randomly crippled by an OS update. This is not the first time we see this issue either.

Comment

OK, upon reviewing the Task Scheduler task in edit mode, it was missing that 'Start In' field pointing to the directory where HS3 is installed (C:\HomeSeer HS3 in my case).

As soon as I filled in that field, it launched with no errors.

Comment

I know that´s an old thread, but I´m struggling with that problem. However in my case, startup script always run fine, and at first all my scripts run fine too. Then, after some random time one or more scripts fail with the "could not find library 'Scheduler.dll'" message. When this happens, sometimes it goes back to normal by just restarting Homeseer, but most of the time I have to open the event with the failed scripts, hit the Save Script button of all the failed scripts, and then restart HS3. This problem happens regardless of how I start HS3. Even if I double click HS3.exe in HS3 folder, it still happens. Additionally, every new script I create raises the error, even if I directly type it at the HS3 editor.

HS3 it´s running on a Windows 10 machine. The logged in user under wich HS3 it´s executed it´s an administrator of the machine, and I added that user to the HS3 folder with "full control". If anyone can help me, I´ll be gratefull.

Last edited by Hans; November 7, 2018, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Any update on Hans issue? I have the exact same issue and have tried the same solutions as Hans. Windows 10 machine as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X