Creating Events Based on Current Weather Conditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating Events Based on Current Weather Conditions

I am new to WeatherXML plug-in. I've set it up to use NOAA, and the plug-in seems to be working.

I'm hoping to use the WeatherXML plug-in to create events dependent on the current weather conditions. For example, I usually turn on my lighting at ~30 minutes before sunset... when the outside starts getting dim, but it is not completely dark. However, ideally I'd like to vary when I turn on lighting based on weather conditions. If it's overcast outside, then I want to turn on lighting earlier than 30 minutes before sunset; and if it's sunny outside, then I could wait a little later before turning on lighting.

Is this possible? If so, I would I structure an event to turn on if current weather is overcast? I tried a forecast on day (0) containing "cloud", which doesn't seem to work consistently.

Try using the condition device. On the HSTouch/Data tab select the day 0 Condition device. In the event you can comma separate the conditions you want to trigger on. Cloudy,Overcast, etc.
    --
    Jeff Farmer
    HS 3, HSPhone
    My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
    Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

I'm a tad confused as to how to do this.

When I create an event, and select the Conditions device, I don't see a way to specify "rain", for example. The only option I see is to enter a numeric range. What am I doing wrong?

Basically, if the current conditions are rain, I want to turn off a device outside.

Comment

In your event, Choose weatherXML Triggers. When the page refreshes, select Condition. The section will refresh and you can select which location. Then select Contains.
        In the textbox enter rain. If you want more than 1 then comma separate them. ex. "rain,raining,rainy" There is a checkbox it you only want the event to trigger if the condition has changed. Ex. Last check it was "rain" and the current check it is "rain" If the checkbox is selected then the even would not trigger.
        --
        Jeff Farmer
        HS 3, HSPhone
        Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Originally posted by CFGuy View Post
          In your event, Choose weatherXML Triggers. When the page refreshes, select Condition. The section will refresh and you can select which location. Then select Contains.
          In the textbox enter rain. If you want more than 1 then comma separate them. ex. "rain,raining,rainy" There is a checkbox it you only want the event to trigger if the condition has changed. Ex. Last check it was "rain" and the current check it is "rain" If the checkbox is selected then the even would not trigger.
          I have been using this and it works great. I was wondering if a comma in the contains field would mean “and” or “or”. It appears from the example above it means “or”. So it is rain or raining or rainy. Any one of them will trigger and not all are needed to trigger.

Comment

Correct, it would be an OR. That allows you to use more than one word for rain and still trigger.
            --
            Jeff Farmer
            HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Working...
            X