Move config from Zee S2 to S6 PRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Move config from Zee S2 to S6 PRO

I purchased a HomeTroller Zee S2 about 2 years ago and added about 70 nodes to it (HomeSeer dimmers and switches, Schlage door locks, door sensors from Monoprice, etc.). Last month I purchased a HomeTroller S6 PRO and a couple weeks ago finally got it set up and ready for me to transfer the configuration and programming from my Zee S2 (I purchased a 500GB mSATA drive and cloned the provided 32GB mSATA drive to it, upgraded the OS, opened the port for connecting to the VNC server, etc.).

I’ve spent a bunch of time looking for steps to transfer the configuration and programming and found recommendations like these:

Here are my questions:
    1. If copying the config directory is the best way to do it, how do I copy it from the Zee S2? I've tried to SSH into it and VNC into it and have been unsuccessful.
    2. If backing up the config and restoring is the best way, how do I get the Zwave config from the Zee S2? The HS3 config downloads to my machine but the Zwave config gets stored locally on the Zee S2.
    3. In what order should I perform the operations? E.g. restore HS3 config first then Zwave config, or the other way around?
    4. Tangential: Is the Zee S2 configured to allow me to VNC into it? I get an error message telling me that my request was denied (or something like that) when I try to connect with VNC Viewer on a Mac.

An important objective for me is to avoid having to go through connecting all my devices to the new system and reprogram all my events.

Thanks,
    David
    Last edited by DavidPotter; June 19, 2018, 03:15 PM.

The Zee S2 is running Linux and the Hometroller S6 Pro is running Windows 10.

Some folks here have been able to get a directory copy working.

That said it is not an easy task.

Linux to Linux is much easier as would be Linux to Windows versus Windows to Linux.

Back up both Homeseer directories before you start your endeavor.

Try an export / import first to see how that works for you.

I find using Linux file manager / Windows SCP with root / admin access to work the best.

The ZWave nodes are stored in the firmware of the ZWave controller where as your ZWave events are stored in a Homeseer 3 ZWave database.

I am sure more folks will chime in shortly.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I'm unsure how to do the following:
      • Back up both HomeSeer directories
      • Export/import
      • Use Windows SCP (I know how to use it but I don't know what to specify on the command line)

Can you give me more specific instructions?

I don't know how to connect remotely to the machine, so that's probably the place to start. As I mentioned, I tried to use SSH, but couldn't get authenticated.

Comment

Back up both HomeSeer directories and Use Windows SCP (I know how to use it but I don't know what to specify on the command line)

What OS are you most familiar with?

Are you moving Homeseer 3 from Linux to Windows?

A - make sure that Homeseer is not running
        B - you would utilize an Explorer like GUI application in Linux or Windows explorer
        C - you do not need to utilize the command line to do this.
        D - WinSCP is a utility / file explorer you run in Windows to talk to a computer that runs Linux.

Export / import functions are built in to the Homeseer 3 web interface under Tools / Set up / general tab and the set up / Homeseer Labs tab.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

The problem turned out to be that I had deleted the homeseer user (security precaution). As soon as I created it (based on reading this thread) I was able to connect using WinSCP.

Thanks,
          David

Comment

Now I'm trying to figure out where the HomeSeer software is stored on the Linux machine. I've used both Mac and Windows daily as a software developer for many years, but my linux experience is pretty minimal. I'll keep poking around on the machine, but if someone could give me a hint on where to start looking, that would be great.

Thanks,
            David

Comment

All I did when I upgraded mine from the ZeeS2 to a clean build on another Pi after loading HS3 Standard on it Was to do a Z-Wave backup then a homeseer backup on the ZeeS2 then restore that to the new system I built then did a z-wave restore and loaded all the plugins. That was pretty much it.

I then loaded a new SD card with the Z-NET image and put that in my old Zee S2, I took it's SD card and taped in inside the case so I wouldn't loose it so I now could use my ZeeS2 as a Z-NET. Best thing I ever did is have the Z-NET seperate from the HS3 system.
              HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
              Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
              Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
              3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
              4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
              3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
              SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Good news David.

HS on Linux computers (RPi) is installed in the /usr/local/HomeSeer directory.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Thanks Pete. That worked. I'm almost there. I've got my configuration, including my settings, configuration, and events showing up, but my Z-Wave controller isn't working. It's showing the following error message for the Z-Wave network:

This network has no active interfaces enabled for it, and it has no objects or
                  HomeSeer devices tied to it. If this network will not be used again, please
                  use the functions at the end to remove this network and all associated
                  network data. (Restart the plug-in after removing the interface before
                  attempting the removal.)
                  I copied the following files from the Linux machine to the Windows machine:
                  • Config/hspi_HSTouch.ini
                  • Config/settings.ini
                  • Config/users.cfg
                  • Config/Z-Wave.ini
                  • Data/HomeSeerData.hsd
                  • Data/Zwave/parameter_values.json
                  • Data/Z-Wave/Z-Wave2.hsd
                  • html/counters.json
                  • html/event_groups.json
                  • html/events.json

Hmm, I looked at the description of the HomeTroller S6 PRO on the shop.homeseer.com website and it appears that it doesn't come with a Z-Wave interface. Is there a way for me to use my Zee S2 as the Z-Wave interface? How would I set that up?

Thanks,
                  David

Comment

Good new David.

Not sure what you have for your Zee S2.

If you do not see anything then it is using an internal ZWave GPIO card.

If it has a ZWave Stick then just unplug the ZWave USB stick from your S2 and plug it in to your Windows box.

You can also just purchase a new ZWave stick and transfer your ZWave stuff easy enough.

Copying or moving the ZWave nodes is the easiest part.

BTW you are one of the first Homeseer folks to have migrated from Linux to Windows that I have read about here on the forum.
                    Last edited by Pete; June 23, 2018, 07:54 AM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                      BTW you are one of the first Homeseer folks to have migrated from Linux to Windows that I have read about here on the forum.
                      Wow! I would have never guessed.

I have a Zee S2 with an internal GPIO card. Is there a way to use that as an external Z-Wave interface?

Thanks!
                      David

Comment

Originally posted by DavidPotter View Post
                        I have a Zee S2 with an internal GPIO card. Is there a way to use that as an external Z-Wave interface?
                        This subject was discussed recently here: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=195555

Comment

I ended up just buying a Z-NET and after backing up and restoring the Z-Wave configuration, everything works well. The move from Zee S2 (Linux) to S6 PRO (Windows) is now complete. Thanks everyone.

Comment

If you have a larger house I’d convert your ZeeS2 to a ZNet so you’ll have two of them for better coverage.

I’ll likely do that once I put in outdoor lighting in the back yard.
                            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
                            Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                            Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
                            3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
                            4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
                            3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
                            SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Working...
                            X