This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airplay Speak plug-in general information

This plug-in is designed to allow HomeSeer to send TTS annoucements to AirPlay capable devices (such as an Apple AirPort Express or an AppleTV), exactly as if those devices were HomeSeer Speaker Clients.

Features:
    • Routes Homeseer annoucements to AirPlay capable devices.
    • Streams WAV, MP3 or AIFF audio files to AirPlay capable devices.
    • Auto discovers compatible devices on your local network using Bonjour
    • Let you adjust volume for each speaker.
    • Supports AirPort Express and AppleTV as well as most of other Airplay compatible hardware or software.

Notes:

This plugin needs the Apple Bonjour service to run on your HomeSeer machine. If you have installed iTunes (or most of other Apple software), it should already be installed.
    If it isn't, you can download it from the following links:
    64bits version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0lhdxpbd19go4i/Bonjour64.msi
    32bits version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dkoi00zvlhxx2cn/Bonjour.msi

The plug-in is available for both HS2 and HS3 versions. See the HS3 User Guide or HS2 User Guide for more information.

Please give me your feedback in this forum, and let me know about any issues or additional feature requirements.

I hope you enjoy using the plug-in and find it useful.

spud

Last edited by spud; January 21, 2014, 04:33 PM.

Are there plans to make it compatible with AppleTV?

Comment

Definitely. Streaming audio to an Airport Express is almost the same thing as streaming audio to an AppleTV, except that it uses a different encryption type. So, I just need to figure out this part.

I don't have an estimated time of arrival, though.

Comment

This is really quite cool, I am keen to give it a go but have to get some Airplay devices (i think I have one laying around somewhere), What would be really cool would be to integrate this with the Music API so that each Apple Airplay device can become a zone!
        HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

This is great just what I am after. The only issue I have is none of my airplay devices are Airport Express.

I have a Philips Fidelio AD7000W, a Raspberry Pi running XBMC with Airplay and an Apple TV. Each one shows in the log as - AirplaySpeak - XXXX does not support TCP transport (UDP is not supported yet by AirplaySpeak)

I'm hoping they all work the same way as the Apple TV, are you able to confirm this?

Comment

How well does this work? I currently have squeezeboxes and there is a delay in speech as HS converts text to wav file and then plays. Is this virtually instantaneous
            or is there a delay? Also, any chance this will be able to play music as well?

Comment

Originally posted by djmilez View Post
              This is great just what I am after. The only issue I have is none of my airplay devices are Airport Express.

I have a Philips Fidelio AD7000W, a Raspberry Pi running XBMC with Airplay and an Apple TV. Each one shows in the log as - AirplaySpeak - XXXX does not support TCP transport (UDP is not supported yet by AirplaySpeak)

I'm hoping they all work the same way as the Apple TV, are you able to confirm this?
              I made good progress towards supporting AppleTV and most of other AirPlay capable devices. In 1 week or so, I hope to release a new version in which 95% of AirPlay devices will be supported. Stay tuned!

How well does this work? I currently have squeezeboxes and there is a delay in speech as HS converts text to wav file and then plays. Is this virtually instantaneous
              or is there a delay? Also, any chance this will be able to play music as well?
              This plugin uses SpeakToFile HS function to convert text to wav file, so yes there is a delay, but from my tests it's relatively small: if I manually run an event that speaks something, the time elapsed between clicking the run button and the sound starting playing on my Airport Express is less than a second.

The only way you can play music using this plugin is to set the path of a music file (instead of some text to be spoken) in your Speak action (see example here). So I can imagine you could use this feature and a script or another plugin, to play a playlist or something. Note that only .wav (with sample rate of 22050Hz or 44100Hz) and .m4a (Apple Lossless Audio codec) are supported for now.

Comment

Excellent news looking forward to this thanks.

Comment

I have four or five AirPort Express's left over from before Squeezebox and then SONOS became my music transport of choice... I'll give this a good go this week-end and report back. I also have two Apple TV's and a couple of amps and TV's that have Airplay... not sure how this will all will play into the mix but will be a fun experiment as Spud enhances the PI.

Chris

Comment

Is there a limit to how many AirPlay devices the announcements can be sent to simultaneously? (as itunes is limited to 6, not sure if that is an itunes software limitation or if its a hardware limit?)

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalAnvil View Post
                      Is there a limit to how many AirPlay devices the announcements can be sent to simultaneously? (as itunes is limited to 6, not sure if that is an itunes software limitation or if its a hardware limit?)
                      There is no such limit in the plugin. That being said I never tested with more than 3 devices.

I'm not sure why iTunes has this 6 limit, maybe because it could be challenging to perfectly synchronize music on a lot of devices.

Comment

have you ported over to HS3.... getting cautious about new plug-ins ?
                        Ubuntu on the Intel NUC ( 8i5BEK ), 32 G, 250G SSD, V4 Pro 😎

Comment

Originally posted by gearyt View Post
                          have you ported over to HS3.... getting cautious about new plug-ins ?
                          Not yet, but it's in my todo list

Hopefully it won't be too difficult as the interface between this plugin and HS is very simple (no HS devices to manage, simple configuration page, etc...)

Comment

I have posted a Beta version of this plugin here: http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=158908
                            The main change is the support for AppleTV and most other AirPlay capable devices.

Please test with as many devices as you can and report your results!

Comment

Cannot connect to Airport Express

I am getting this error in my log. I do not have a password to connect. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Emmett

3/18/2013 1:58:28 PM AirplaySpeak Found Service: 7CD1C3C81A22@Elizondo AirPlay
                              3/18/2013 1:58:28 PM AirplaySpeak Resolved Service: 7CD1C3C81A22 - Elizondo AirPlay - 10.0.0.7
                              3/18/2013 1:58:28 PM AirplaySpeak Elizondo AirPlay does not support any encryption type supported by AirplaySpeak)

Comment

Working...
                              X