No announcement yet.

First Alert ZCOMBO-G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just received mine in the mail, I didnt get all the values that are posted on here. I removed the node, and added again and still all I get is, 0-no notification, 0-reset notifications, and a range on the notification page. 1E-06 through 255.999

Can I just add them manually or am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by cpd5899 View Post
      I just received mine in the mail, I didnt get all the values that are posted on here. I removed the node, and added again and still all I get is, 0-no notification, 0-reset notifications, and a range on the notification page. 1E-06 through 255.999

Can I just add them manually or am I missing something?
      Which version of the Z-Wave plug-in are you using? Did you get the sensor from us? If not, what is the firmware version number?
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
        Which version of the Z-Wave plug-in are you using? Did you get the sensor from us? If not, what is the firmware version number?
        I did not buy the alarm from HS...
        The version of the alarm is Version: 3.52 (ZDK 4.54.2) App: 0.5
        and I am using the updated z-wave plugin... 3.0.0.150

I did add them manually, and pressed the test button so I at least know that one works.

I did get a status change to heartbeat.... what exactly is that?

Comment

Originally posted by cpd5899 View Post
          I did not buy the alarm from HS...
          The version of the alarm is Version: 3.52 (ZDK 4.54.2) App: 0.5
          and I am using the updated z-wave plugin... 3.0.0.150

I did add them manually, and pressed the test button so I at least know that one works.

I did get a status change to heartbeat.... what exactly is that?
          Update to the latest Z-Wave plug-in (3.0.1.7) and try including it again.

Comment

Argh! I just read this thread. I bought this today at Lowes... (I should've used my gear head subscription with HomeSeer), It's the ZCOMBO and not ZCOMBO-G. I was planning on setting this up this weekend.

Some questions:

1. It sounds like the ZCOMBO might be older than the ZCOMBO-G?

2. Can anyone confirm what exactly are the differences between the ZCOMBO and ZCOMBO-G?

3. It was mentioned earlier above that the ZCOMBO has a premature battery chirping issue? But can anyone with the ZCOMBO-G confirm it doesn't have this problem?

4. Alarm batteries always come low at the most inconvenient times (e.g. 2:00 AM). Any way to use Z-Wave to silence the chirping until I get a chance to replace the batteries? :-)

What I would really like is a unit that supports A/C power but can take battery backup, and also has output that can be connected to a Mimolite. Otherwise, as long as the battery can last a year, I can deal with it.

Comment

I am not sure there is any real difference. There has been very little feedback from anyone who has the the -G version. Battery hasn't bothered me much. I would also prefer a powered unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TechFan View Post
                I am not sure there is any real difference. There has been very little feedback from anyone who has the the -G version. Battery hasn't bothered me much. I would also prefer a powered unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                So, after you did a rescan with latest 3.0.1.2 plug-in, it sounds like you have the same behavior (child devices, status text got created properly, etc.) as mentioned with the ZCOMBO-G?

I searched online, and I couldn't find anywhere that explains what, if any, are the difference between ZCOMBO and ZCOMBO-G. Maybe ZCOMBO is the Lowes/Iris version and ZCOMBO-G is the OEM version. I hate it when retailers do that. Always confusing. Like Best Buy has their own model numbers for APC UPSs and hard drives, which are different than elsewhere (but when you open the box, you get the same thing and often the "real" model number in the actual product itself).

Interesting that I couldn't even find ZCOMBO or ZCOMBO-G in First Alert's web site. Maybe BRK is the actual source of the alarm:

http://www.brkelectronics.com/product/ZCOMBO-G

Anyway, I guess I can try it and if I have issues return it (I just hate having to rip open these plastic packages that are a real pain to open, and if there's a chance I'm returning them ripped up plastic never looks good :-)).

Comment

Ok, I included the ZCOMBO into my network. I'm using HS3, plug-in version 3.0.1.2. I got 3 devices (root, Notification, Battery), and the Notification child device has the same status values that macromark mentioned. My unit was manufactured September 2014, and its firmware versions are the latest (based on what macromark mentioned earlier): Version: 3.52 (ZDK 4.54.2) Firmware: 0.5

I pressed the test button, and HS3 received the following (reverse chronological order):

May-22 11:30:39 PM Z-Wave Device: Node 104 Z-Wave Battery Set to 100
                  May-22 11:30:39 PM Z-Wave Device: Node 104 Z-Wave Notification Set to Notification OFF for Type 12
                  May-22 11:30:22 PM Z-Wave Device: Node 104 Z-Wave Notification Set to Notification ON for Type 12, Level 255

So, looks like it got added correctly. Didn't realize test would go on as long as it did... Had to run downstairs really fast so as to not wake sleeping kids!

Looks like the ZCOMBO and ZCOMBO-G are identical except for the packaging. I compared the instructions, and they're virtually identical except the ZCOMBO-G has an extra paragraph about adding it to Iris (followed by the standard paragraph for adding it to a generic controller... I guess Iris users need more hand holding :-) ).
                  Last edited by randman; May 22, 2015, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Am I supposed to see the heartbeat messages from the ZCOMBO in HS3's log? I don't see any heartbeats (whether 20 minutes or 60 minutes). I verified that pressing the ZCOMBO's test button results in HS3 log displaying 3 messages received from ZCOMBO (as indicated in my post right above). So, association and communication working okay. However, I don't see any heartbeat messages. My ZCOMBO has the latest firmware. I included the ZCOMBO with Z-Wave plug-in version 3.0.1.2 (I just upgraded to 3.0.1.7 a few minutes ago).

Comment

Originally posted by randman View Post
                      Am I supposed to see the heartbeat messages from the ZCOMBO in HS3's log? I don't see any heartbeats (whether 20 minutes or 60 minutes). I verified that pressing the ZCOMBO's test button results in HS3 log displaying 3 messages received from ZCOMBO (as indicated in my post right above). So, association and communication working okay. However, I don't see any heartbeat messages. My ZCOMBO has the latest firmware. I included the ZCOMBO with Z-Wave plug-in version 3.0.1.2 (I just upgraded to 3.0.1.7 a few minutes ago).
                      The alarm heartbeat is the status the notification device changes to as seen here.

I'm also attaching my heartbeat events. The top event sends me a notification every 30 minutes when my heartbeat timer exceeds 61 minutes. The bottom event resets the timer every time the notification device is "set to" alarm heartbeat. Be sure to use "set to", not "changes and becomes".
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by macromark; May 23, 2015, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Thanks, macromark. I'm really liking the timer feature in HS3!

Strange. I just wrote an event of type "If a device has just had its value set or changed" to monitor the Notification child device. Now, I see that it got triggered twice, one time for each of my 2 ZCOMBO's. Still too early to tell how frequently I'll be getting the heartbeat. I'll continue to observe how it behaves. So far I've read someone gets a heartbeat every 30 minutes, another person gets it every hour, and someone else gets it once a day. Funny how this hobby makes one OCD. If it weren't for the technology, I would be taking days to replace dead alarm batteries after pulling them out for chirping too loudly! But now, we worry the second we don't get a heartbeat!

Anyway, I didn't notice the heartbeats until I wrote an event. I was looking at the logs and for one of my ZCOMBOs, I noticed in the logs that my event fired, but there was no other message before that from HomeSeer saying that it got a notification. Is it because if the value doesn't actually change (since it goes from heartbeat to heartbeat), then HS3 won't bother logging a message?

Comment

Thanks, macromark. I'm really liking the timer feature in HS3!

Strange. I just wrote an event of type "If a device has just had its value set or changed" to monitor the Notification child device. Now, I see that it got triggered twice, one time for each of my 2 ZCOMBO's. Still too early to tell how frequently I'll be getting the heartbeat. I'll continue to observe how it behaves. So far I've read someone gets a heartbeat every 30 minutes, another person gets it every hour, and someone else gets it once a day. Funny how this hobby makes one OCD. If it weren't for the technology, I would be taking days to replace dead alarm batteries after pulling them out for chirping too loudly! But now, we worry the second we don't get a heartbeat!

Anyway, I didn't notice the heartbeats until I wrote an event. I was looking at the logs and for one of my ZCOMBOs, I noticed in the logs that my event fired, but there was no other message before that from HomeSeer saying that it got a notification. Is it because if the value doesn't actually change (since it goes from heartbeat to heartbeat), then HS3 won't bother logging a message?
                          if you create an event to restart a timer (as I did), you'll see that event run in the log every time the heartbeat is received. That's what I look for in the log, as opposed to log entries from the device itself.

Comment

Hm. I haven't checked to see how often those are getting set. . .I was just glad I wasn't getting a notice every 30 minutes if it isn't changing. I like the idea of getting notified if it doesn't check in. . .

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                              if you create an event to restart a timer (as I did), you'll see that event run in the log every time the heartbeat is received. That's what I look for in the log, as opposed to log entries from the device itself.
                              I can confirm that the ZCOMBO which I installed 2 days ago is now sending a heartbeat message every 61 minutes. I installed a second one yesterday. However, I've only gotten 1 heartbeat out of it yesterday, right after installing it. It installed fine. I confirmed that running the self test sends 3 messages (self test start, stop, and battery level). I also successfully ran optimize & full optimize on it. But, no heartbeat since yesterday. It's been less than 12 hours since I set it up, so still observing.

Comment

I can confirm that the ZCOMBO which I installed 2 days ago is now sending a heartbeat message every 61 minutes. I installed a second one yesterday. However, I've only gotten 1 heartbeat out of it yesterday, right after installing it. It installed fine. I confirmed that running the self test sends 3 messages (self test start, stop, and battery level). I also successfully ran optimize & full optimize on it. But, no heartbeat since yesterday. It's been less than 12 hours since I set it up, so still observing.
                                So, this morning, I still wasn't getting heartbeats from my 2nd ZCOMBO, despite everything else about it being okay. So, this morning I pressed its test button again. Later, I started getting heartbeats. For the past 8 hours or so, I've been getting heartbeats from it every 67 minutes. Not 60, but 67. My other ZCOMBO sends heartbeats every 61 minutes. Always 61. So, I have no idea how it gets these values. Probably some undocumented parameter, but wondering why it's not consistent. Oh well.

Comment

Working...
                                X