This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alexa commands and HAI Thermostats

When controlling HAI thermostats with Alexa, the following commands work with an RC-80 and RC-2000.

Amazon Connected Home API
    This is the built-in skill that Amazon provides for simple control of devices.
    HomeSeer provides programming to support this feature via an API within the HS software.
    This skill provides simple Alexa commands without "Tell HomeSeer to ..."
    First, name the thermostat root device to a friendly name like "Living Room"
    Alexa, set the Living Room to 75 degrees
    Alexa, set the Living Room to 58 degrees
    Alexa, lower the Living Room by 2 degrees
    Alexa, raise the Living Room by 3 degrees

If the thermostat mode is Cool, the Cooling setpoint will be set.
    If the thermostat mode is Heat, the Heating setpoint will be set.
    If the thermostat mode is Auto, HomeSeer will set both setpoints to some value, attempting to make the temperature comfortable.
    **As of this time, there are no Alexa/HomeSeer controls for Mode or Fan.

HomeSeer Amazon Echo Skill
    This is a custom skill that HomeSeer developed for more granular control of HomeSeer devices.
    For example, this skill allows device control in addition to running events, return temperature values, etc.
    This skill requires you to say "Alexa, tell HomeSeer to ...
    Alexa, tell homeseer to set the Living Room to 65 degrees
    Alexa, tell homeseer to set the Living room to 55 degrees
    Alexa, tell homeseer to lower the Living Room by 1 degree
    Alexa, tell homeseer to raise the Living Room by 2 degrees
    Alexa, tell homeseer to get the status of my Living Room

If the thermostat mode is Cool, the Cooling setpoint will be set.
    If the thermostat mode is Heat, the Heating setpoint will be set.
    If the thermostat mode is Auto, HomeSeer will set both setpoints to some value, attempting to make the temperature comfortable.
    **As of this time, there are no Alexa/HomeSeer controls for Mode or Fan.

Let me know if your experience is different than what is listed above...
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

These work too on my RC80B:

- tell homeseer to set [thermostat] mode to [off|cool|auto] --(NOT TESTED by ME)
    - tell homeseer to set [thermostat] fan mode to [auto|on]
    - tell homeseer to get the [thermostat] temperature
    - tell homeseer to get the [thermostat] status

Comment

Hello
      I have both skills active.

I can control lights and Tstats with the API.

I can only control lights with the Advanced skill.

When I issue thermostat commands I get the response "that device was not found".
      The device is in the list and responds to the API commands.

I'm using the verbiage above verbatim.

Any ideas?

Comment

I only use the API to control my lights and thermostats, so I can't help much with the homeseer skill. There is a forum just for that skill, you might try posting in there to see if others are having issues.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Desert_AIP View Post
            Hello
            I have both skills active.

I can control lights and Tstats with the API.

I can only control lights with the Advanced skill.

When I issue thermostat commands I get the response "that device was not found".
            The device is in the list and responds to the API commands.

I'm using the verbiage above verbatim.

Any ideas?
            I've run into this with a few installs and the fix was just to reboot the HomeSeer box via the System menu and let everything reconnect.

Also, what is your naming scheme like?

Comment

The three Tstats are "Upstairs", "Downstairs" and "Bath Heat".
              There are no lighting loads with those names and they work with the API.

I had tried it also with them named "Downstairs Thermostat" as well, with no luck.

I've rebooted the HS RPi multiple times.

I think I can do everything I want to do through the API, it's just weird that part of the skill isn't working.

Comment

What about the Floor and Room names? Are you using the Voice Command field?

Comment

Originally posted by bjhampe View Post
                  What about the Floor and Room names? Are you using the Voice Command field?
                  Floor and Room are set, the voice command field has the short name, i.e. "Downstairs" and the voice command box is checked.

Comment

Hmm, I haven't tried the Voice Command field yet so I don't know what that affects.

Comment

I haven't used the voice command field either. It seems a little redundant if Alexa uses the device name.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

Comment

The device name when it gets imported is the short name with the root moniker attached.
                        So it's something like DnstrsTstat Root Device.
                        I edited that to Downstairs Thermostat Root Device.
                        I don't know if its important to keep the "Root Device" portion in the description.
                        Even if I removed it "Downstairs Thermostat" is a mouthful to say everytime.

I want to keep the description as XX Thermostat so I can readily see its type from its name.
                        But in the Alexa devices that's edited down further to simply "Downstairs".
                        The Echo sees that device and controls it fine through the API.

And I can do everything I want to with the API except check status.

I just think its odd the advanced skill doesn't recognize the tstats.

Comment

Ok so there is something, I've never tried controlling the Root Device. Whenever I am controlling a thermostat I am controlling the Mode or the Cooling/Heating (or whatever you named Mode, Cooling and Heating).

"Alexa, tell HomeSeer to set the Living Room Mode to Cool."
                          "Alexa, tell HomeSeer to set the Living Room Cooling to 80 degrees."

Comment

Yeah, the way Rich explained how the Connected Home API works, is that it uses the Root Device to control and HS has the 'smarts' inside to find the child device.

And right when I posted this, Rich posted: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=192613

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                              So based on above sticky, if i want to control my Omni Thermostat in Google Home, I just need to enable voice for the one labeled "thermostat" (root) at the bottom right?
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	image_71803.png Views:	2 Size:	57.6 KB ID:	1250956

Comment

Working...
                              X