Plug-in locks up with RC2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plug-in locks up with RC2000

I've had problems getting the plug in to work with HS. When HS starts up it hard locks when it tries to talk with the RC2000 thermostat. By hard lock I mean HS freezes during startup and my CPU is at 100% utilization. I have to kill hs_compatibility.exe in task manager to continue HS startup. Then the log error messages kick in, as listed below.

1/16/2010 1:00:57 PM Warning Plug-in HAI RC Thermostat not responding, #4 callbacks canceled

This repeats every few minutes. After HS starts up I find that mcsTemperature is messed up, presumably due to hs_compatibility.exe getting killed. If I disable the HAI plug and restart HS everything returns to normal, except of course no HAI thermostat control.

I'm going through a serial to Ethernet adapter (QSE-100) since the unit is too far from the PC. I can ping it and hardware manager seems OK, but I've not confirmed the full comm path.

Has anyone else seen the HAI plug-in seriously mess things up like this?

Does the plugin work if the hardware is connected directly to an onboard com port?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

The stat and PC are too far apart to try easily. I might have to rig something later for trial purposes to confirm that angle.

I really did not expect the plug-in to hang everything like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Spock View Post
        Has anyone else seen the HAI plug-in seriously mess things up like this?
        No, I have not seen this. I have seen cases (e.g., if the Tstats temporarily lose power) where the plug-in will essentially abort polling of the Tstats. When this happens, HS can still control the Tstats, but isn't aware of changes made locally at the Tstat.

I have the HAI thermo plug-in configured to poll the Tstats every minute. What poll rate have you configured?

Don

Comment

Hi Don

I only have the default settings, except for setting it for COM4. I've confirmed the serial side of my Ethernet to serial box is not working correctly, so HS can't access it.

Apparently the plug in is not stable if communication with the stat is not working.

Comment

Any more on this? So as of now a omnistat2 will not work with homeseer?

Comment

Originally posted by programmergeek View Post
              Any more on this? So as of now a omnistat2 will not work with homeseer?
              I have three omnistat2's connected via a moxa 5650 serial over IP device server. They are working fine; however I am still on an older version of HS Pro (2.4.0.6 IIRC) and waiting for the latest string of betas to stabilize before upgrading my HS box.

Don

Comment

Well, I continue to have CPU lockup issues with this plug in. I still don't have comm with the thermostat, but after a lot of effort I think I know the reason why (5V signaling, stat wants a full 12V).

However I had the HAI plug in installed anyway while I try to get this thing working. I had the plug in enabled for about 4 weeks when I suddenly got 3 days in a row of one of my two CPUs locked up at 100% due to an unhandled win32 exception in hs_compatibility.exe. When this occurs HS is non functional. Unenabling the HAI thermostat plug in seems to have restored stability.

There seems to be an error handling issue with this plug in if the comms with the stat have problems. Be warned.
                Attached Files

Comment

So I've gone through 2 of these thermostats and can't get them to communicate over RS232. Tried the serial ports of 4 different computers, laptops and desktops. Loopback plug works with serial port testing SW.

I'm now sending back #2 to get a third unit. Very frustrating! I've spent probably close to 40 hours on this problem this year. HAI tech support has been fairly helpful. We just can't get it to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Spock View Post
                    So I've gone through 2 of these thermostats and can't get them to communicate over RS232. Tried the serial ports of 4 different computers, laptops and desktops. Loopback plug works with serial port testing SW.

I'm now sending back #2 to get a third unit. Very frustrating! I've spent probably close to 40 hours on this problem this year. HAI tech support has been fairly helpful. We just can't get it to work.
                    What is the problem you have with serial connection? This publication may be helpful: http://www.cortexasystems.com/kb/OmnistatCortexa.
                    I have 8 omnistats2000 connected to HS computer via usb-serial adapter (all 8 on a single port). The communication is not perfect, sometimes a command needs to be re-tried, but it works.

Comment

Its totally mute. No communications with the stat at all. Not with Homeseer nor with a general serial port connection.

I know several people have this thermostat working, which is why I'm so frustrated.

BTW, read that link carefully. It can be easily misread as there is no RED on the thermostat back plate, only YELLOW, GREEN, BLACK, and N/C in that bottom-up order. HAI tech support tells me the correct wiring from DB9 to RC2000 back plate markings are:

1. pins 7 and 8 together. (RTS and CTS)
                      2. pins 1, 6 and 4 together (DCD, DTR and DSR)
                      3. pin 4 to the YELLOW label in the COMM block. (DTR)
                      4. pin 3 to the GREEN label in the COMM block. (TXD)
                      5. pin 2 to the BLACK label in the COMM block. (RXD)
                      6. pin 5 to the N/C label in the COMM block. (GND)

All jumpers removed. 300 baud. DTR is +V when idle.

Is this what you have?
                      Last edited by Mr Spock; December 6, 2010, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Sounds right. Did you also set Expansion Baud: 1200?

Comment

Yeah, it is by default.

Comment

Working...
                          X