This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claude,

As you suspect, implementing Request #1 would be a challenge (one that i'm not up for just yet). Request #2 would obviously be much easier to implement but doesn't really solve your original problem.

So back to your original problem regarding the switchlinc that you shut off in the winter...how about changing the location (via a script) to move the device to 'winter disabled' location and thus the device wouldn't get polled when using the 'poll device' btn

i could probably add an action to allow you to set the Polling Interval so you could set the intervalto 0 at the same time.

then in the spring or when ever, you would run another script to reverse the settings (the location and polling interval)

what do you think
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by claude View Post
      Hi Mark,

Curious to see what's your next challenge for the plugin. How far down your list is support (via the interface vs. script) for the IRlinc receiver (2411R) ?
      I've been adding support for some new smarthome beta products that i've been testing. i have also been working on a routine to keep the link tables current. I have also thought about adding support for virtual comm ports via an ip protocol, but this is probably at the bottom of the list. That said, I still want to add the 2411R and its making its way up the list.
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
        ...how about changing the location (via a script) to move the device to 'winter disabled' location and thus the device wouldn't get polled when using the 'poll device' btn...
        After so many years I still learn something new. I tested and you're right: it seems that the 'Poll device' button will poll only devices that appear on the status page (even those that are marked hidden).

On the other hand, the HS help says: "As soon as the Poll Device button is clicked, HomeSeer will send a query to each device that's connected to it to get the device's current status. Only those devices that are capable of returning status information will respond. The information retrieved from each device is listed in this screen. The status information will also be updated in the Status screen." This would imply that all devices would get polled, contrary to what is actually happening.

My problem was that I display 'all devices' on the status page because I use 'location' to help me sort my devices on the page. So I activated 'location2' and basically defined a location2 labelled 'Active' to which I associated only those devices that I want polled.

Thanks for the trigger.

Comment

Now and then (sometimes in response to a power blip, sometimes not) the plugin will stop communicating with the PLM. When it does, it puts error messages into the log such as"
          12/13/2010 7:55:58 AM ~!~Device Control~!~Device: 1st Kitchen Overhead Light ([38) OFF
          12/13/2010 7:55:58 AM ~!~Insteon~!~** An error occurred in this plug-in. The details have been written to the log file - E:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS2\Config\Insteon Error Report.Log
          12/13/2010 7:55:58 AM ~!~Insteon~!~** To request help with this problem please post this log file to the forum along with a detailed description of what lead to this problem.
          12/13/2010 7:55:58 AM ~!~Insteon~!~** An error occurred in this plug-in. The details have been written to the log file - E:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS2\Config\Insteon Error Report.Log
          12/13/2010 7:55:58 AM ~!~Insteon~!~** To request help with this problem please post this log file to the forum along with a detailed description of what lead to this problem.
          12/13/2010 7:57:22 AM ~!~Insteon~!~** An error occurred in this plug-in. The details have been written to the log file - E:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS2\Config\Insteon Error Report.Log"

This may have to do with the USB chip in the PLM, I don't know. Anyway, I have discovered that restarting the server PC will get it to work again. Would it be possible to have a trigger event from the plugin for when it can't communicate with the PLM. With such a trigger, I could run a script to make the PC restart and thus auto correct (or work around) this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by joegr View Post
            Now and then (sometimes in response to a power blip, sometimes not) the plugin will stop communicating with the PLM. When it does, it puts error messages into the log such as"
            12/13/2010 7:55:58 AM ~!~Device Control~!~Device: 1st Kitchen Overhead Light ([38) OFF
            12/13/2010 7:57:22 AM ~!~Insteon~!~** An error occurred in this plug-in. The details have been written to the log file - E:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS2\Config\Insteon Error Report.Log"

This may have to do with the USB chip in the PLM, I don't know. Anyway, I have discovered that restarting the server PC will get it to work again. Would it be possible to have a trigger event from the plugin for when it can't communicate with the PLM. With such a trigger, I could run a script to make the PC restart and thus auto correct (or work around) this problem.

Joe,
            i think the trigger is possible. could you post the error log report
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Joe,
              i think the trigger is possible. could you post the error log report
              The Insteon Error Report.Log file has been overwritten. I'll have to recreate the issue and then I can post the file. It may be a few days before I can.

Comment

The Insteon Error Report.Log file has been overwritten. I'll have to recreate the issue and then I can post the file. It may be a few days before I can.
                Joe,

i added a trigger for when the plm interface "crashes". basically if the 'send' fails, the trigger is called.

My question is should the plugin just shutdown and post the trigger? Otherwise as you have experienced, the plugin will keep going and continue to post errors and now it will continue to send the trigger unless i prevent this.

also, have you updated the ftdi chipset VCP drivers to the latest. avail here
                http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Joe,

i added a trigger for when the plm interface "crashes". basically if the 'send' fails, the trigger is called.

My question is should the plugin just shutdown and post the trigger? Otherwise as you have experienced, the plugin will keep going and continue to post errors and now it will continue to send the trigger unless i prevent this.

also, have you updated the ftdi chipset VCP drivers to the latest. avail here
                  http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
                  I think that it would be okay to keep going and continue to trigger. I think I can handle the multiple triggers while shutting the PC down.

I did update to the latest drivers, but only just after the last crash. In any event, the problem continues. Interestingly enough, the PLM I was using didn't seem to do this much, but it would sometimes loose all of its link memory and had to be restored by the program interface button. I switched it out for this one, and it seems to be more prone to the crashes. One cause is if the power goes out and then comes back quickly. (The PC is on a UPS.) I have moved the PLM to the UPS too and so far that takes care of it. (Both PLMs are dual band USB.)

Here's the crash log from a crash I caused by briefly unplugging the PLM.

I induced the crash at about 9:17pm.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I think that it would be okay to keep going and continue to trigger. I think I can handle the multiple triggers while shutting the PC down.

I did update to the latest drivers, but only just after the last crash. In any event, the problem continues. Interestingly enough, the PLM I was using didn't seem to do this much, but it would sometimes loose all of its link memory and had to be restored by the program interface button. I switched it out for this one, and it seems to be more prone to the crashes. One cause is if the power goes out and then comes back quickly. (The PC is on a UPS.) I have moved the PLM to the UPS too and so far that takes care of it. (Both PLMs are dual band USB.)

Here's the crash log from a crash I caused by briefly unplugging the PLM.

I induced the crash at about 9:17pm.
                    Joe,
                    thanks for the feedback and the pseudo error report.

Unplugging the plm actually causes a different error then what you experienced before. Note the error "The port is closed". I could probably recover from this type of error but nobody gets this error.

If you experience your previous error again you will notice the error says "access to port is denied", this is the one that requires a restart because the state of the usb and com port are really messed up.
                    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Joe,
                      thanks for the feedback and the pseudo error report.

Unplugging the plm actually causes a different error then what you experienced before. Note the error "The port is closed". I could probably recover from this type of error but nobody gets this error.

If you experience your previous error again you will notice the error says "access to port is denied", this is the one that requires a restart because the state of the usb and com port are really messed up.
                      Actually, I do get that exact error when I have a power interruption, which is what I simulated yesterday. (I unplugged the PLM from the wall, not the USB cable.) As I said, I think I have that resolved by plugging the PLM into the UPS, but I do suspect that hampers the powerline signaling.

Comment

Actually, I do get that exact error when I have a power interruption, which is what I simulated yesterday. (I unplugged the PLM from the wall, not the USB cable.) As I said, I think I have that resolved by plugging the PLM into the UPS, but I do suspect that hampers the powerline signaling.
                        Joe, thanks. I guess you are experiencing something completely different than everyone else. Most people get the error i mentioned when the usb connection gets disrupted (by noise on the PL) but the com port does not get closed or reestablished. I can not simulate this scenario by disconnecting the usb cable.

i'll see if i can reestablish the com port when it gets closed from a power blip, etc
                        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

KeypadLinc backlight dim level

On the KeypadLinc device, when clicking the "Program Op Flags", it would be nice to be able to set the backlight level (rather than just on/off). Doing it manually at the switch is very tedious. It wouldn't be a big deal if you only had to do it once, but I seem to have to do it after each power failure.

Comment

Originally posted by William9 View Post
                            On the KeypadLinc device, when clicking the "Program Op Flags", it would be nice to be able to set the backlight level (rather than just on/off). Doing it manually at the switch is very tedious. It wouldn't be a big deal if you only had to do it once, but I seem to have to do it after each power failure.
                            Well that was easy...and i don't get to say that a lot. Look for the feature in the next build.
                            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

ezsnsrf support

Native support for the simplehomenet EZ SNS RF Dakota Alert bridge would be awesome. I use this to setup reliable outdoor motion sensors from about 500' away from the house to turn on lights, ring a doorbell, etc.

http://www.simplehomenet.com/Downloa...mand%20Set.pdf

It's basically just an IO device but doesn't have any outputs, just 8 trigger inputs that go briefly ON then OFF when a wireless device is tagged.

I managed to hack together support for it in the external script awhile ago, I'd just prefer to have it be native.

Currently shows up as:

Device Type: Device Type 0705
                              Firmware Version: FF

Thanks!
                              -Tom

Comment

An Inteon watchdog or heartbeat feature...

We need to know when Insteon communications have ceased for whatever reason. A few times now I have found The Inteon plugin has stopped working and i find out when lights are left on or events are not being triggered. Thats fine when im home but Ideally I want to be able to go away for a few weeks and have the automation not stop while I'm gone. We need some sort of loopback test that if it fails notifies or triggers a reboot to get things working again. This type of feature exists in my video survailance system which reboots when it gets hung up.

Does this sound reasonable and make sense?

Comment

Working...
                                X