Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AD2USB on Z-Net

Hey guys,

Sorry if I missed while looking, but is there anyway to interface the AD2USB to the Z-Net device?

Currently my panel is upstairs and pretty far away from the machine I have running HS3. I was hoping I could put my Z-Net next to the panel, and just plug in the AD2USB, but I haven't had much luck.

Thanks!

Originally posted by DrivinTin View Post
    Hey guys,

Sorry if I missed while looking, but is there anyway to interface the AD2USB to the Z-Net device?

Currently my panel is upstairs and pretty far away from the machine I have running HS3. I was hoping I could put my Z-Net next to the panel, and just plug in the AD2USB, but I haven't had much luck.

Thanks!
    I brought up something similar in another thread. You could probably do it from a technical standpoint. But there doesn't seem to be any (supported) way to get root access to the z-net.

Comment

Originally posted by joey52685 View Post
      I brought up something similar in another thread. You could probably do it from a technical standpoint. But there doesn't seem to be any (supported) way to get root access to the z-net.
      I was wondering about that myself. It seems like it is just a RaPi2 in there, so I assume it is running some linux flavor. The ad2usb is just a USB to serial adapter, and pretty sure is kernel supported. I would be really interested in seeing if it was possible, sure would be handy!

Comment

Originally posted by DrivinTin View Post
        I was wondering about that myself. It seems like it is just a RaPi2 in there, so I assume it is running some linux flavor. The ad2usb is just a USB to serial adapter, and pretty sure is kernel supported. I would be really interested in seeing if it was possible, sure would be handy!
        It definitely is running Linux. I've seen other threads where people have taken the case apart, removed the sd card, then put the card in another pc to overwrite the root password and gain access. But this is done at your risk since it most likely voids the warranty. I ended up just getting another Raspberry Pi2 for my USB devices, it's cheap enough.

Comment

I used the USB wifi adapter

its usb hub that is powered by the wall outlet where my panel is located it connect through wifi and works fine in my instance cost me like 20 bucks off ebay.

i bought this one http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Wireles.../dp/B0058DN1Q4

Comment

I was really hoping this might work. Bought the znet anyway on sale.

How did the USB solution work over wifi?

My other option is to upgrade my panel (I have a 10se) and get the EVL. Just more money, and loss of the AD2USB investment

Comment

ohh... i just remembered i had one of these. I wonder if i can get that to work reliably?

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F5L009.../dp/B000QSN3O6

Comment

Well as far as this front goes I actually ended up getting a control panel that supported z-wave, BUT I did do some serial over wifi. I wanted to be able to control my sprinkler system but the controller is out in the garage. I ended up getting a RS232 over Wifi adapter and while i couldn't make a direct COM port work well (I think that might have actually been the sprinkler system issue), I was able to get the direct connect to the device to work really well. Here are the posts from that with product information:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=182283

Comment

funny... i now just realized that my router has a USB port on it in the same closet. Anybody try that with a AD2USB?

Comment

Working...
                  X