Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CNN Breaking News - No News is good news?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CNN Breaking News - No News is good news?

Hi folks -

The last breaking news alert I got was:

11/1/2002 3:22:45 PM~!~Speak~!~Police link September 14 liquor store shooting in Silver Spring, Maryland, to D.C.-area sniper suspects. Details soon

Has there really been no breaking news since then? I ran the script in test mode, and that seemed to work OK...

Jerry

I have been getting all kinds of stuff, the last thing I got is on November 28.

HomeSeer Status

Comment

I haven't been getting any either. I'm running one of the latest betas though.

What version of HS are you both running?

Comment

How often to you have your event set to check? I found that I had to reduce the check time to 3 minutes to pick up the breaking news. They just do not leave it up for over a couple of minutes.

-Rupp
        ...One Nation Under GOD, Indivisible, With Liberty And Justice For All.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

CXL99:

I'm running Homeseer version 1.6.0, and CNN breaking News Script version 2.3, 11/09/2002.

Rupp:

I'm running the script every 1 minute.

It just occurred to me that maybe this latest version isn't picking up the alerts, and other people haven't noticed because they are using earlier versions. Anyone seen an alert since 11/9?

I just checked the CNN site, and signed up for email alerts directly from them. This should give me a good hint...

Jerry

Comment

This is my [CNNAlerts] section of CNNSettings.ini:

11/27/2002 10:35:16 AM=French police say armed man in custody after attempt to hijack a flight from Bologna, Italy, to Paris. Details soon.
            11/27/2002 10:38:17 AM=French police say a man is in custody after attempt to hijack a flight from Bologna, Italy, to Paris. Details soon.
            11/27/2002 10:41:16 AM=French police say a man is in custody after an incident aboard flight from Bologna, Italy, to Paris. Details soon.
            11/28/2002 2:26:33 AM=Israeli Foreign Ministry reports missile fired at Israeli airliner taking off from Kenya; reports say airliner possibly damaged. Details soon.
            11/28/2002 2:50:33 AM=Israeli Foreign Ministry reports simultaneous attacks on Israeli airliner, hotel in Kenya. Missile fired at airliner taking off from Mombasa as car bomb explodes in front of Mombasa hotel. Casualties reported.
            11/28/2002 9:20:33 AM=At least two Palestinians open fire at a bus station in northern Israel, killing four or five Israelis, before being shot dead, police say. Details soon.
            12/3/2002 6:44:21 AM=Iraq says it will turn in weapons declaration to inspectors on Dec. 7, one day before U.N. deadline, Reuters reports. Details to come.

I've got mine configured to keep them 7 days. Send my your ini and I'll see if there's something amiss there.

Paul

Comment

Paul -

Thanks for the pointer. In fact, it appears that things ARE working. The main problem is that I'm on the west coast, and interestingly, most of the news alerts are occurring outside the hours where I have it turned on (9AM-8PM)! Apparently, I've been AWOL during the few other alerts, and I didn't find the other alerts in my log file because I was searching for "breaking news", which the script doesn't actually 'speak'!

One minor point: My CNNsettings.ini file seems to be keeping more than 7 days of alerts. Am I missing something? Here's the file:

[CNNsettings]
              speak=true
              virtualdevice=v5
              wavfile=C:\WINDOWS\Media\Windows XP Hardware Insert.wav
              playwav=true
              notify=False
              TOaddress=
              FROMaddress=
              subject=
              turnoff=True
              notifyschedule=
              announceschedule=09:00-20:00
              newsicon=
              DaysToKeep=7
              TriggerEvent=
              CurrentAlert=No Breaking News
              CurrentAlertTime=12/3/2002 5:58:27 PM
              [CNNAlerts]
              11/12/2002 2:22:35 AM=Iraq's parliament votes unanimously to recommend rejection of U.N. resolution on weapons inspections but leaves final decision to President Saddam Hussein.
              11/12/2002 10:12:35 AM=Britain's Prince Charles orders review into collapse of Paul Burrell trial and its aftermath. Details to come.
              11/12/2002 11:36:35 AM=William Webster resigns as head of Corporation Accounting Oversight Board. Details soon.
              11/12/2002 12:28:35 PM=Audio recording purportedly made by Osama bin Laden praises recent terror attacks, threatens attacks on Western economic targets. Details to come.
              11/13/2002 4:19:36 AM=Senior State Department tells CNN voice on new tape is Osama bin Laden. Details to come.
              11/13/2002 8:09:36 AM=Iraq to accept U.N. resolution calling for weapons inspectors to return, wire services report. Details to come.
              11/13/2002 8:14:35 AM=Iraq accepts U.N. resolution calling for disarmament and return of weapons inspectors. Full story soon.
              11/13/2002 5:29:37 PM=House passes bill creating homeland security agency; Senate must still vote on measure. Details to come.
              11/14/2002 1:57:37 PM=Supreme Court refuses to stay execution tonight of Pakistani man who killed two CIA employees. Details to come.
              11/14/2002 6:15:37 PM=Pakistani man executed for 1993 shooting of two CIA employees. Details to come.
              11/15/2002 10:41:59 AM=Six Israelis killed in shooting attack in Hebron, according to Israeli media.
              11/15/2002 11:13:59 AM=Six killed after Palestinian gunmen open fire in Hebron, Israeli media report. Full story soon.
              11/17/2002 8:53:35 AM=Abba Eban, a pioneer in Israeli diplomacy, dies at age 87. Details soon.
              11/19/2002 5:01:35 PM=Senate passes bill creating Department of Homeland Security, 90-9. Details to come.
              11/20/2002 9:52:34 PM=An explosion believed set off by a suicide bomber on a bus in Jerusalem has killed at least three people and injured dozens of others, Israeli police say.
              11/21/2002 11:56:34 AM=Al Qaeda leader believed to be key planner of USS Cole bombing and operations chief for Persian Gulf in custody, U.S. sources say. Details to come.
              11/27/2002 7:34:55 AM=French police say armed man in custody after attempt to hijack a flight from Bologna, Italy, to Paris. Details soon.
              11/27/2002 7:38:55 AM=French police say a man is in custody after attempt to hijack a flight from Bologna, Italy, to Paris. Details soon.
              11/27/2002 7:41:55 AM=French police say a man is in custody after an incident aboard flight from Bologna, Italy, to Paris. Details soon.
              11/27/2002 11:25:55 PM=Israeli Foreign Ministry reports missile fired at Israeli airliner taking off from Kenya; reports say airliner possibly damaged. Details soon.
              11/27/2002 11:47:55 PM=Israeli Foreign Ministry reports simultaneous attacks on Israeli airliner, hotel in Kenya. Missile fired at airliner taking off from Mombasa as car bomb explodes in front of Mombasa hotel. Casualties reported.
              11/28/2002 6:19:55 AM=At least two Palestinians open fire at a bus station in northern Israel, killing four or five Israelis, before being shot dead, police say. Details soon.
              12/2/2002 2:13:49 PM=The script is now running in test mode. This is a CNN breaking news test alert
              12/3/2002 3:42:26 AM=Iraq says it will turn in weapons declaration to inspectors on Dec. 7, one day before U.N. deadline, Reuters reports. Details to come.

Comment

Did you set up the extra event to clean up old news events? Look at the cnn script and about 10 lines down it explains this option to clean up old news alerts.

-Rupp
                ...One Nation Under GOD, Indivisible, With Liberty And Justice For All.

Comment

Hi Y'all, Im new to HS. I was playing around, trying to figure out how scripts work, and I was reading through the message board. Im kinda stuck on the CNN script. ALTHOUGH.. I was kinda proud of myself when I got the Weather script to work. hehehehe. Anyway... I dowloaded the "custom_cnn_headlines.txt" from the script library. I tried doing everything on the instructions, I added a virtual device, I *think* I changed the correct code it was "v11" and I set it to my code (s1). Anyway, when I look at the status page, it says status=on. Why isnt it showing the news??? Damn, I hate to bug y'all, but any help would be appreciated.

Comment

If I remember correctly, it will stay this way until you receive some breaking news. Make sure you set the event to trigger about every three minutes or you will miss the alerts. Some of them don't even stay up this long.

-Rupp
                    ...it was a holy night.

Comment

I guess that I am missing something big here. How/where do I create the ".ini" file. Or, does the script create it itself? If I need 2 create it, what exactly do I put in it.
                      Thanks again,
                      Mike

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mikey911:
                        I guess that I am missing something big here. How/where do I create the ".ini" file. Or, does the script create it itself? If I need 2 create it, what exactly do I put in it.
                        Thanks again,
                        Mike<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First, this thread and what Rupp was referring to is for the CNN Breaking News not the CNN headlines but they both use the same ini file.

The first time you ran the script it should have prompted you for some settings. Those were stored in CNNSettings.ini which is located in the homeseer/config folder. For the headlines script you should have a section in the ini file like this:

[CNNheadlines]
                        virtualdevice=s1
                        htmlTemplate=&lt;a href="%%url%%" target="_blank"&gt;%%headline%%&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br&gt;

Do you have that ini file?

Paul

Comment

no .ini [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Try manually triggering the event that runs the script. It should prompt for the ini entries if there's no ini file. Also, look at the HomeSeer log to see if there's any problems when you trigger it.

Paul

Comment

The error HS reports is in line 481 on the event. In the second event( the one to configure the .ini), I put in the script line custom_cnn.txt("GetIniValues","edit")

Damn this **** aint easy.

Comment

Working...
                              X