Replacing a working switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing a working switch

I have a GE switch that has a mechanical issue so I need to replace it. The switch is online and on the network. This switch is part of a number of events and I want to make sure that when I replace the switch the new one takes the old ones spot without breaking my events.

On the zwave tab of the device the "replace node" and "remove bad node" appear to be for when the device is not responding.

What's the procedure to replace a working device without breaking events when the new switch is added in?

Thanks

Originally posted by denisl View Post
    I have a GE switch that has a mechanical issue so I need to replace it. The switch is online and on the network. This switch is part of a number of events and I want to make sure that when I replace the switch the new one takes the old ones spot without breaking my events.

On the zwave tab of the device the "replace node" and "remove bad node" appear to be for when the device is not responding.

What's the procedure to replace a working device without breaking events when the new switch is added in?

Thanks
    If it is another switch of the same type and brand, you can physically remove the old one and install the new one. "Replace Node" will leave the RefID the same so your events will remain intact. Since you have removed the old node, it will in fact not be responding. Your new switch will be included with the same Node ID.

You cannot replace a switch with a dimmer. I know it works if the brand and type are the same. If it is the same type, but a different brand, you might be able to rescan the new one after the replacement and have it work, but I have never tried it. I'm fairly sure you cannot replace the GE with a HomeSeer switch, because the GE has a single node where the HS switch has a root and two children. The safest bet would be to replace it with another GE.

As an alternate option, you can remove the old one and replace it, but do not exclude it from the controller. Include the new one with a different name, then filter events on the old name and edit each of them.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks Randy - that makes sense. I have an identical switch to replace it with. I'll replace the switch then "replace node".

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
        If it is another switch of the same type and brand, you can physically remove the old one and install the new one. "Replace Node" will leave the RefID the same so your events will remain intact. Since you have removed the old node, it will in fact not be responding. Your new switch will be included with the same Node ID.

You cannot replace a switch with a dimmer. I know it works if the brand and type are the same. If it is the same type, but a different brand, you might be able to rescan the new one after the replacement and have it work, but I have never tried it. I'm fairly sure you cannot replace the GE with a HomeSeer switch, because the GE has a single node where the HS switch has a root and two children. The safest bet would be to replace it with another GE.

As an alternate option, you can remove the old one and replace it, but do not exclude it from the controller. Include the new one with a different name, then filter events on the old name and edit each of them.

Randy,
        Just an FYI. I have been replacing intermatic and GE switches with HS switches and haven't run into problems. As you stated, just do a rescan and all is happy.

Comment

I changed the switch and it worked. Only thing was I had to add the new switch next to my z-net. When I tried to include the replacement switch, HS would time out and abort the replace. I guess the switch is too far away from the znet. I have a pig tail extension cord I use to plug devices in during inclusion next to my znet in the basement which I had to use. Glad it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by denisl View Post
            I changed the switch and it worked. Only thing was I had to add the new switch next to my z-net. When I tried to include the replacement switch, HS would time out and abort the replace. I guess the switch is too far away from the znet. I have a pig tail extension cord I use to plug devices in during inclusion next to my znet in the basement which I had to use. Glad it worked.
            Which switch did you add that you had to have it near the znet? I just did a GE yesterday (brand new from lowes zwave plus), and included it in place across the other side of the house. My older intermatics are the only ones I still have issues unless the znet is close.

Glad you got it figured out, but something seems off. Did it optimize ok as well?

Comment

I undertook a recent mission to get rid of some old Intermatic HA01 outlets and their 9.6 kps. I used the replace node option under the device's z-wave tab and it appeared to work. The new device was operational. However what I later found when looking at the properties of the device was it was still marked as the HA01 and its speed was still 9.6 kps (According to seer and node information. Did a rescan on the device and it had no effect. So, in the end, I got zero milage from the replace node option and the only method I have found was to delete the device under the device management tab and then import devices under the z-wave tab and then chase all of the events and other hard-coded references in scripts and web pages. One plus is the event doesn't disappear and so at least you have an easier job updating not recreating events. Does anyone know of another way to get the device updated?
              -Rick

Comment

Working...
              X