This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASCII Control Interface Documentation

The ASCII control interface is available in ALL editions of HS3, including controllers. The A2ZLink controller is a dedicated controller available for installs that only need this simple interface.

The docs for the ASCII interface are available here:

http://homeseer.com/support/homeseer...nk/default.htm
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

If the connection was not de-authorized by using the 'lo'-command, the next login will not get an 'ok' back upon authentication.

Is this by design or a bug ? Hard to tell this way if the authentication was successfull

EDIT:
    This message can be deleted. I had to use nc -C on linux to get proper line endings...

Comment

When data is send quickly one after the other, HS has problems parsing it.

Example using netcat:
      Code:
      echo -en "au,pi,pi\n\rDC,61,100\r\n" | nc -C 127.0.0.1 11000
      result:
      Code:
      Received: au,pi,pi
      DC,61,100

09:58:39:8713:[Info]->ASCII connection authorization FAILED, no user or bad pass from IP: 127.0.0.1 for user pi

Comment

Would it be possible to add functionality such that we could execute scripts and trigger events? This would be huge. Thanks!
        HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Can I ask from what equipment you are using the ASCII protocol for? You can do what you want if you used the JSON interface. I assume the equipment you are using cannot send JSON?

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
          Would it be possible to add functionality such that we could execute scripts and trigger events? This would be huge. Thanks!

Comment

Enclosed are two scenarios of why I am interested in more features of the TELNET interface. Let me know your thoughts. If interested in expanding this capability, I can help design:

1.) Think of the custom integrator that is attempting to connect HomeSeer to some third party controller, or vice versa. I would think that most "controllers" out there expect a TELNET interface rather than a JSON interface. That may change, but the common denominator is still TELNET.

The ASCII interface is cool but is missing a few features to make it feature rich.

2.) For me personally, I was thinking of writing another piece of software that would allow interconnections with HS2 and HS3 (and probably MLSERVER) as I probably will never fully upgrade my HS2 installation to HS3. It will just take too much time and money to do that. None of the current solutions out there do this in a manner that fully works.

It is just too bad that HS2 can not be a slave controller to HS3. I completely agree that it would be too much to write a complete upgrade utility, but I would figure that writing a "connector" type of tool that would allow HS2 (and 3rd party interfaces) to connect to HS3 intelligently would be of interest to HST and others.
            HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Just to be clear, you can send JSON commands over the network connection, just like Telnet, so the connection should not matter. And you can ignore the JSON response so I am not sure I see the difference between a simple ASCII type command like:

RE lights on

Or a JSON command:

/JSON?runevent&name=lights on

I could see a problem if the controller could only work with very short strings, or maybe it cannot close the connection after sending the command. If the connection is the issue, I could easily allow you to send JSON over the already open Telnet connection.

I don't have a problem adding more ASCII commands, just want to understand if its really needed.

HS3 has been out for over 3 years now, and based on the upgrade count, most users have already upgraded. You could write a simple EXE for HS2 that could communicate with the JSON interface of HS3 to get them to talk. I posted the source to a JSON program that talks to HS3, just add a reference to the HomeSeer2.dll and you then have full access to the HS2 API.

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
              Enclosed are two scenarios of why I am interested in more features of the TELNET interface. Let me know your thoughts. If interested in expanding this capability, I can help design:

1.) Think of the custom integrator that is attempting to connect HomeSeer to some third party controller, or vice versa. I would think that most "controllers" out there expect a TELNET interface rather than a JSON interface. That may change, but the common denominator is still TELNET.

The ASCII interface is cool but is missing a few features to make it feature rich.

2.) For me personally, I was thinking of writing another piece of software that would allow interconnections with HS2 and HS3 (and probably MLSERVER) as I probably will never fully upgrade my HS2 installation to HS3. It will just take too much time and money to do that. None of the current solutions out there do this in a manner that fully works.

It is just too bad that HS2 can not be a slave controller to HS3. I completely agree that it would be too much to write a complete upgrade utility, but I would figure that writing a "connector" type of tool that would allow HS2 (and 3rd party interfaces) to connect to HS3 intelligently would be of interest to HST and others.

Comment

I wrote a HS2 <> HS3 connector in 2013. It is still available: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=162718
                Jon

Comment

Originally posted by kriz83 View Post
                  When data is send quickly one after the other, HS has problems parsing it.

Example using netcat:
                  Code:
                  echo -en "au,pi,pi\n\rDC,61,100\r\n" | nc -C 127.0.0.1 11000
                  result:
                  Code:
                  Received: au,pi,pi
                  DC,61,100

09:58:39:8713:[Info]->ASCII connection authorization FAILED, no user or bad pass from IP: 127.0.0.1 for user pi
                  Rich,
                  Has the above been fixed ?

Comment

I will check.

Originally posted by kriz83 View Post
                    Rich,
                    Has the above been fixed ?

Comment

Generic ASCII Interface plugin

Hi all,

Is there a kind of "generic plugin" for being able to use and configure "ASCII Control Interface" as discussed here - or is it just an interface that can be used via scripting ?

The reason I ask, is that I would like to interface my own Hardware using a serial port. If there was a generic plugin to configure any serial port for ASCII command I/F within HS3, using the generic command set specified by HST this would be great and would offer a universal interface to almost anything without the need to have a dedicated hardware plugin. (you could interface the protocol elsewhere - e.g. on the external hardware).

Any info on that ?

Comment

Hello,

I am not sure if you found what you were looking for or not but I am was looking for a solution that needed some of the same things and I found that this Plug-In worked for my need.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...17#post1132517

-Travis

Comment

Working...
                        X