• Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1

Count me in

DSteiNeuro
    DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

MSI Cubi Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 16GB DDRl RAM

Enabled Plug-Ins
    BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, JowiHue, MyQ, Nest, Rain8, Squeezebox, Ultra1Wire3, UltraGCIR3, Vista Alarm, X10,Z-Wave

Comment

+1 on plugin. I would pay for it.

Comment

Hi guys !

Very interesting, I have been thinking about this for a couple months now and we did get our new smart meter installed this year.

I have contacted Rainforest but it seems like our electricity provider ( Hydro-Quebec / Canada eastern hydro electricity provider ) does not allow registration of client based devices to their smart meters.

I dont understand why a registration would be needed if the 900MHZ receiver simply scans the frequency band and decodes whatever information comes out of my smart meter. Hydro-Quebec changed all meters for this specific need ( to eliminate the need to go on site for energy realtime reading ).

Since they are emitting on a daily/hourly/whatever basis, why would I not be able to fetch the data transmission myself ? Did they mean the signal is encoded and HQ does not provide the correct algorithm to decode it ?

Can anyone confirm this possible limitation and if our local smart meters ARE locked, if there is any other way to automatically receive the meter's data without taking a walk in the snow bank @ -1000 degrees ?

Thx !

Comment

UPDATE : I have just come across this product which is a safe bet compatibility wise. Did anyone hear about a plugin, script or api for this ?

http://www.mtpinc.com/Products.htm?ID=669

Comment

There are a few plugins for clamp type energy monitors already. The allure of the rainforest eagle for me is that I would get the same data my utility gets and I would not need to put the clamps on. Still hopeful that someone writes a plugin for the rainforest eagle so I can get my SoCal Edison data into the hs energy db.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
            Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
            Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post
              There are a few plugins for clamp type energy monitors already. The allure of the rainforest eagle for me is that I would get the same data my utility gets and I would not need to put the clamps on. Still hopeful that someone writes a plugin for the rainforest eagle so I can get my SoCal Edison data into the hs energy db.
              I am on SCE as well. I found a little nugget that I was unaware of. Have you enabled "Daily Cost Snapshot" in your account? It actually pushes your current rate, current tier, current bill estimate, etc. to your SmartMeter that can then be viewed on your Eagle. This is going to open up a bunch of great possibilities in HS3 when someone creates a plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by automateme View Post
                I am on SCE as well. I found a little nugget that I was unaware of. Have you enabled "Daily Cost Snapshot" in your account? It actually pushes your current rate, current tier, current bill estimate, etc. to your SmartMeter that can then be viewed on your Eagle. This is going to open up a bunch of great possibilities in HS3 when someone creates a plugin.
                Oh, I did not know it did that! That could be really useful for cutting back on electricity during peak hours. Now we just need to convince Spud, Blade, or Ultra to move to SoCal so that they are motivated to write a plugin.

The weather is nice here--all the time. (Shhh--no-one mention the lack of water, or the possibility of earthquakes, or traffic). Did I mention we have beaches?

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
                Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
                Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post
                  Oh, I did not know it did that! That could be really useful for cutting back on electricity during peak hours. Now we just need to convince Spud, Blade, or Ultra to move to SoCal so that they are motivated to write a plugin.

The weather is nice here--all the time. (Shhh--no-one mention the lack of water, or the possibility of earthquakes, or traffic). Did I mention we have beaches?
                  I think that we should really stress the weather angle - I think all three are cold weather guys. We won't bring up the 2 hour commutes though

Comment

Luckily for me, I'm an 8 month snow hater too !

I have ordered and installed the following monitor ( made in Canada / Ontario ) and it works very well, awesome local features and installation was a breeze. The wireless receiver has a USB connection for PC api communication but the provided PC software is pretty limited.

http://www.mtpinc.com/Products.htm?ID=669

Unit sells for 187$ CAD ( 150$ US approx ) and considering it has all features anyone would like, I think it could be a good product to develop on to get the API working with HS2-3.

I will try to fetch some data using IP serial plugin but I havnt had much luck with this before so if anyone is willing to program a quick plugin, I could assist on development and I'd be willing to purchase a couple licenses right away.

Anyone ?

Update- Here is a link for API info : http://1drv.ms/1OTiAFz

Thx
                    Last edited by loowee; November 19, 2015, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Rainforest Eagle Plugin

Originally posted by spud View Post
                      I would be interested to buy one and create a plugin, unfortunately it doesn't work with my utility (Hydro-Quebec)

http://rainforestautomation.com/supp...ian-utilities/
                      "They have the capability to connect devices to the meters but no plans announced to date"

If that change in a near future I will definitely build a plugin.
                      I'd buy the plug-in too!!
                      HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
                      Plugin's:
                      BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
                      EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
                      weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

+1 for "I'd buy the plugin too".

I have been using the Rainforest Eagle for about a year and would love to integrate it with Homeseer. It is cloud connected (I think they all are now) so the local script probably won't work for me

Comment

+1 for the plugin!

I would certainly pay. If a developer wants to access my unit for development we can probably arrange something

Comment

+1 for the plug-in.

Rainforest actually has 2 API's for the Eagle Gateway, 1 push and 1 pull. I just called them and the fellow I just spoke with mentioned both API's can be used simultaneously.

Once you write your plug-in (you know who you are), Rainforest would like to link to Homeseer as a supported system.
                            Last edited by Kitar; September 6, 2016, 09:03 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I really hope that one of the HomeSeer developers takes this on at some point. I would gladly purchase a plugin from Ultra, Spud, Blade or one of those guys. I have to admit that I occasionally check the Smart Meter deployment page for Hydro Quebec - since Spud said that he would develop a plugin if he could use the Eagle. In the year since I created this thread, I have added Solar to my home, and the Eagle provides information on my consumption and generation. It will be great to have a plugin that I could have access to the data in HS3 and use it to trigger events.

Comment

Agree, would love to see a plugin that utilizes the energy api

Comment

Working...
                                X