Which voice assistant poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which voice assistant poll

OK Thraqs poll inspired me. I think the term "voice control" is pretty broad. Lets break it down to either local voice control, or cloud based solutions that are typically called assistants. There are many but really there are currently just 4 assistants that most people use: Siri, Google now, Cortana, and Echo.

So, given a choice, which one would you like to see given tight integration with homeseer such that from your phone, or tv box thing, could say "____ turn on the back porch lights, and fire up the jacuzzi".
    Siri
    19.48%
    Cortana
    9.09%
    Google Now
    22.08%
    Echo
    49.35%
    Last edited by jlrichar; December 2, 2015, 02:59 PM. Reason: Added other

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
    Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
    Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Here my preference would be non internet / smart phone dependent local voice control.

That said today playing with Spud's Alexa software and Kinect software on one machine and it works well.

I have shut off my Echo for the time bean.

I did choose the Amazon Echo above relating to at home internet connected automation device assistant. It has today taken off as that ultimate at home voice connected doo what.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Need to be able to vote for two...

Google Now via my phone/watch anytime (do this now with Tonlof's Tasker plugin)
        Echo when in the kitchen/living room (do this now with Thrag's Alexa plugin)
        Bryan
        Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
        Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

Kinect? I agree with Pete, I don't want any internet service to monitor the sounds in my house and record it.

Cheers
          Al
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

None, I want HS to know when I want to jump in the jacuzzi without me having to tell it...

Cheers
            Al
            HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by TechHA View Post
              Need to be able to vote for two...

Google Now via my phone/watch anytime (do this now with Tonlof's Tasker plugin)
              Echo when in the kitchen/living room (do this now with Thrag's Alexa plugin)
              Also, I should have put an "other" category too.

Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue

Comment

Voted for Echo because I have 3 of them and they make such great microphones to place anywhere in the house. If I could vote for two it would be Echo and Cortana. Having a full virtual assistant such as Cortana connected to Homeseer would be great.

Comment

Kind of interesting that the Google voice doesn't have a name.

Siri, Cortana, Google Now and Alexa.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I also find it interesting that Google Now is not more requested. By most measures it is the most powerful of the natural language voice assistants, and works pretty well cross platform. Perhaps it is related to the mess that is the state of their home automation at the moment?

One way to look at this poll, is which company do you least mind if they have intimate knowledge about your home, and possibly when you are in it; Google, Amazon, Apple, or Microsoft?

Comment

Me none as i like to keep as much data onpremisis as i can and not on the internet. I also have to deal with the fact that none English assistents aren't working that well with other languages.
                      - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
                      HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
                      PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                        Kind of interesting that the Google voice doesn't have a name.

Siri, Cortana, Google Now and Alexa.
                        Because 'Skynet' would have tipped their hand.

~Bill

Comment

I still do not understand why to use internet driven voices?

I have Dutch Ivona voices locally installed and those are working perfect for me. So if there would have been an other or non-internet choices, that would have been my choice

Wim
                          -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post
                            I still do not understand why to use internet driven voices?

I have Dutch Ivona voices locally installed and those are working perfect for me. So if there would have been an other or non-internet choices, that would have been my choice

Wim
                            It's a good question: What's the point of these cloud based voice assistants?

The answer is pretty simple, and revolves around the term "natural language". You see with homeseer and all the different ways of interacting with it locally via speech, you first need to program in exactly what phrases you want it to listen for. There is some ability to add some small amount of flexibility in the form of wildcards, or several different terms that could be in the speech trigger.

For example:
                            Originally posted by CFGuy View Post

With a Microphone ( or the Kinect plugin as well) I can use a trigger phrase like this.
                            (play|close|watch) the (disk|movie|blu ray) (tray)*
                            With a properly configured voice assistant, instead of programming triggers for your devices/events, you instead teach the voice assistant about your devices/events. Then you can use natural language to control them that does not necessarily adhere to a rigid speech structure. This requires quite a bit of training (on the part of the voice assistant developers, not users), and processing power, so this is typically done in the cloud, and is why these voice assistants exist there.

The voice part, such as Ivona voices is not really part of this discussion, since that is simply an output device. The real discussion is about speech recognition.

I am not sure but I think the HST folks have partially muddied the waters here with Alexa. It seems that they started on the path of teaching Alexa about homeseer devices and events, and then changed course and now have added the ability for homeseer to process the speech directly. This seems like the opposite of progress. It has all the drawbacks of the cloud (security, lag, internet connection), with none of the benefits (natural language speech recognition). I can see that perhaps this is for people that have already built up quite large libraries speech programs that want to take advantage of the excellent microphone in the echo. Again, I'm not sure as I do not have an Alexa device of any kind, but I think this is optional, and there is still the ability to use the Alexa API for recognition. Leave it to HST to provide multiple solutions! For someone starting out, or without those speech commands programmed in already I would rather teach Siri, Alexa, Cortana, or Skynet (google), about my devices.

At any rate this poll was setup to see which of the assistants people would want if they could have any one.

Actually a couple have been integrated with HS already: Siri was the first to integrate with HS a few years ago via the SiriProxy. However that was a reverse engineered solution that apple shut down via changes to the Siri service. Alexa is now the most supported assistant with HS, and the only one that is fully sanctioned using published APIs. Siri is available still via at least two or three HomeKit plugins. They all rely on another open source project that may or may not be a future target of Apple. I'm not aware of any Cortana integration with homeseer. Google may have some integration via a Blade plugin, and indirectly via the tasker plugin. Not sure how either works.

Comment

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post
                              Actually a couple have been integrated with HS already: Siri was the first to integrate with HS a few years ago via the SiriProxy. However that was a reverse engineered solution that apple shut down via changes to the Siri service. Alexa is now the most supported assistant with HS, and the only one that is fully sanctioned using published APIs. Siri is available still via at least two or three HomeKit plugins. They all rely on another open source project that may or may not be a future target of Apple. I'm not aware of any Cortana integration with homeseer. Google may have some integration via a Blade plugin, and indirectly via the tasker plugin. Not sure how either works.
                              The above is also the paradox on using most of the cloud services. They can disappear just as easily as they come.

I agree on the natural language speaking part but in time that will be also possible within the locally installed OS as computing power progress
                              - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
                              HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
                              PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

Working...
                              X