Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to use HS3 and RadioRA2 just for the keypads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible to use HS3 and RadioRA2 just for the keypads?

Hi everyone/Don,

Quick question. I have Caseta right now everywhere in my home and it works fine. I really want nice keypads though like the Radio RA2 ones but switching fully to Radio RA2 doesn't really make sense as I learned I can't use Caseta dimmers with it, so wouldn't be cost effective to replace it all.

I have the Caseta plugin for HS3, and noticed there's this Radio RA2 one. Does the keypads for Radio RA2 work similar to Caseta Pico's, in that in the HS3 plugin I could do my own scenes or actions? So for example, have a keypad button called "Pathway" but when pressing that, it triggers a HS3 event that turns on a Hue and Z-Wave light? So basically not really use Radio RA2 programming but more just HS3 to run everything on it.

If so, what is the minimum I would require strictly to just use Radio RA2 keypads with HS3? I assume I'd need the normal Main Repeater? Then do I also need the Connect Bridge or anything? Lastly, would Radio RA2 make the most sense for this or would HomeWorks QS work also? Thanks!

Yes you only need the main repeater no smartbridge, (RR-MAIN-REP-WH) no need to go with the QS it will be more expensive and more complicate. Also you will need the plug-in of the RA2, if you are going with this the Pico will have more function as the hold press.

Originally posted by 416to305 View Post
    Hi everyone/Don,

Quick question. I have Caseta right now everywhere in my home and it works fine. I really want nice keypads though like the Radio RA2 ones but switching fully to Radio RA2 doesn't really make sense as I learned I can't use Caseta dimmers with it, so wouldn't be cost effective to replace it all.

I have the Caseta plugin for HS3, and noticed there's this Radio RA2 one. Does the keypads for Radio RA2 work similar to Caseta Pico's, in that in the HS3 plugin I could do my own scenes or actions? So for example, have a keypad button called "Pathway" but when pressing that, it triggers a HS3 event that turns on a Hue and Z-Wave light? So basically not really use Radio RA2 programming but more just HS3 to run everything on it.

If so, what is the minimum I would require strictly to just use Radio RA2 keypads with HS3? I assume I'd need the normal Main Repeater? Then do I also need the Connect Bridge or anything? Lastly, would Radio RA2 make the most sense for this or would HomeWorks QS work also? Thanks!

Comment

Great thanks. Don do you know how it works with the RA keypads with the button engraving? I see when you buy them they include engraving which seems straightforward, but what happens in the future if you want to change the buttons? Are they individual or are they all connected meaning I'd have to engrave a whole set? Do they not sell packs with general labels like Insteon? Like "Evening" "All Off" "Dining" etc? As for me standard labels like that would work in most cases. Thanks!

Comment

No i didn't see any unique engraving button,

The engraving is a one shot deal. You'll have to engrave all of the buttons at once.

If any engraving on the keypad would need to be changed you would need to submit another engraving order for the entire keypad.

on ebay you can find good price for the replacement, and I think it come with the certificate to engrave free but not sure

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Lot-of-3-...8AAOSwMNxXaaPM

Comment

Oh nice yeah that's a good price on them. Do you know roughly what the main repeater or a typical keypad would cost? They seem to be around $500ish for the repeater on eBay, and then keypads in the $380-400ish range. Not sure if that's good pricing or if I should try to get it all from a local dealer. On the fence about going entirely Radio RA2 but makes it hard having zero ideal what the cost of any items is!

Comment

Working...
          X