No announcement yet.

Devices not updating after "show screen on top"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't mean it to come off like that, it just seems like you were trying to use it in a way that developers hadn't intended.

I have been wanting a similar setup as you but instead of using various screens (as one screen) I thought a true template or frames based setup would work best.

For instance, all of my screens have the same header (with the time and date and alarm info). So when I have to update one element I have to repeat it on 30 screens. Totally annoying
    Last edited by skarragallagher; June 28, 2016, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Also wish hstouch was aware of the screen and client you were on as well

Comment

@skarragallagher, all in good humor, of course.

I'm never concerned or even particularly interested in what someone's /intended/ purpose is... only on how I can utilize it. Sort of a canvas / artist thing, I think.

I was on MainLobby for years - one of the first few to dive into that when HS only had a web option (which was terrible) and ML was a text-based XML file for a Flash-based GUI for HS - no back-end. It became what it is now because of how we - the users - used it.

So... option to open two windows simultaneously with one affixed atop the other? Oh, yeah... that's gotta be a dynamic menu. In ML, there was no built-in menu option, so that took tons of code and variables; but once built worked awesome. They later added a "plugin" for menus that worked similarly but reduced the hassle of building it. And ML's backend is not as strong as HS... so it's do-able. But not if the background doesn't update.

Your header is a great example. Mine is similar - with a header. I've considered changing all that to variables so I don't have to change it again. But depending what I want it to do, that'd mean addressing the per-client thing.

I've started experimenting with how I can push client information back to the server. But really, client name and version and such should be part of the "Replacement Variables", since those are all in there. If you haven't looked through those, they're interesting and not obvious until you read the help docs. There's already a [$BATTERY] variable that works on iPhone and Android. Seems like [$CLIENTNAME] and [$CLIENTDEVICETYPE] should be a given.

I have looked at what is logged when an HST client initializes to see if it could be usable for getting a "clientname" field to show up on the clients and/or whatever else.

When my YT8-1 client connects:
        Code:
        Jun-28 7:18:55 PM	 	HSTouch Server	Connecting speaker client to HomeSeer IP 127.0.0.1
        Jun-28 7:18:55 PM	 	HSTouch Server	Client Android (192.168.253.111/38966) named YT8-1 has CONNECTED.
        Jun-28 7:18:55 PM	 	HSTouch Server	Opening connection from:192.168.253.111/38966
        So... maybe you can help me figure out what to do with that to uniquely identify the client BACK on the client. Hm... I haven't figured it out yet. But that's key to controlling more stuff from the server side.

Anyway... now I've made a mess of the thread and no way will the HS folks take notice. LOL.

Comment

Yeah, I agree that it is or should all be doable and would love to see HS expand on the android/hstouch server functions.

I wouldn't use variables if you can at all avoid it. I originally used many variables and script statements within hstouch. At least with older clients it made the project almost unusable and slow. Even using the time variable caused issues with the scrolling marquee etc. I have found success with removing all variables and script statements and using device status tracking.

I have many virtual devices that store information that I use to display solar consumption and power generation.

Seeing how it took 5 years to get support for animated GIFS in the android client, I am guessing these "features" won't get stressed any time soon [emoji20]

Comment

Agreed on less variables on the client. I've heard that ALL timers and counters affect HST - even if they're not in use? Messy.

But I'll have to play with it more.

It seems to me like the YogaTab devices work well with HST. And much better since raising the WiFi speeds and bandwidth and then raising the performance of the server. I'll have to see how a stack of variables work now.

Comment

Let me know what you find out. Am always interested in others successes and failures.

Comment

Will do. Of course, if I continue to have good luck with HST and Android clients, I'm likely to get accused of being a company plant / shill. If anyone else is having good luck with the combo, they're not vocal about it.

Comment

Just a quick update of what I have found.

I basically reverted all my events to showing screens by itself. I was randomly getting blank white screens on all of my android clients.

Comment

Did you ever find a fix to this? I have a similar situation except I cannot use the workaround because I NEED both screens to be open at the same time (the "screen on top" is an overlay swhich displays music playing information but it is just in the bottom corner... the main screen (which is on the bottom) cannot be opened by itself.

Problem is the bottom screen doesn't update when I have the other screen on top open.

Comment

Was this ever resolved? I have also found another situation where this happens. I have a button within HSTouch which jumps over to Sonos so I can select music. In Sonos I have an overlay button which then allows me to jump back to HSTouch. But, whenever I jump back to HSTouch the screen no longer automatically updates (for example, the time is 'frozen' and Status icons don't update). If I change screens within HSTouch and then back to my status screen all is well. This only happens whenever I jump from an external app or overlay screen back to HSTouch. It's causing me to lose the WAF....

Comment

Never resolved. Never acknowledged by HS folks. It's a bummer, as it seems fixable. Pretty sure I submitted a bug report years ago.

Comment

Working...
                        X