This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Set Off" not working correctly?

I have two ICON dimmers in my bathroom. One for the light over the mirror and one for the light by the shower. The bathroom is separated into two rooms with a light switch in each. I created an event to turn off the shower light when the other light is "Set Off." It works but with one exception. If the shower light is on, but the other light is off, and then the other light get's turned on, the event gets triggered and the light by the shower gets turned off. It seems to me that turning this other light on would be a status type of "Changed to On," but it is still tripping my trigger. If the other light is already on, tapping the On does not turn off the shower light.

I want to be able to tap the off of the switch of this other light and be able to turn off the shower light regardless of the status of this other light's switch. This is why I used Set instead of Changed to.

My trigger type is Device Status Change.

Again, it works how I want it to except for the event getting triggered by a "Change to On" instead of the desired "Set Off."

Am I doing something wrong? Please help.

Thank you.
    HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
    Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

bump

Nobody has any insight into this? Do I need to explain more info? Am I thinking of "Set Off" in the wrong way? Is there another way to accomplish this?

Please...anyone?
    HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
    Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

I guess I can't quite follow your example. I think you have the concept of set to and change to correct, but in your example it looks like you are comparing an off to an on. Could you try to break it down to steps and what you expect vs. what you get?

Jon

Originally posted by mrceolla
      bump

Nobody has any insight into this? Do I need to explain more info? Am I thinking of "Set Off" in the wrong way? Is there another way to accomplish this?

Please...anyone?
      Jon Ort
      JonOrt@The--Orts.com
      (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

Jon - I understand what he is saying (although I have never encountered this problem myself)
        He has set up a trigger that when light1 is set 'off', it triggers light2 off. It works, but the problem seems to be that the event is ALSO triggered (incorrectly) by light1 being changed from off to on.

mrceolla, you should duplicate this problem and then generate an Insteon support log. You will find that option on the main Insteon configuration page.

Jim H.

Comment

There are no custom triggers for the Insteon plug-in. They should just fire as the devices change. I don't seem to see this here so it might be HomeSeer version specific. If you generate a report and post it I might be able to tell something more.

Jon

Originally posted by jhimmel
          Jon - I understand what he is saying (although I have never encountered this problem myself)
          He has set up a trigger that when light1 is set 'off', it triggers light2 off. It works, but the problem seems to be that the event is ALSO triggered (incorrectly) by light1 being changed from off to on.

mrceolla, you should duplicate this problem and then generate an Insteon support log. You will find that option on the main Insteon configuration page.

Jim H.
          Jon Ort
          JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Originally posted by mrceolla
            I have two ICON dimmers in my bathroom. One for the light over the mirror and one for the light by the shower. The bathroom is separated into two rooms with a light switch in each. I created an event to turn off the shower light when the other light is "Set Off." It works but with one exception. If the shower light is on, but the other light is off, and then the other light get's turned on, the event gets triggered and the light by the shower gets turned off. It seems to me that turning this other light on would be a status type of "Changed to On," but it is still tripping my trigger. If the other light is already on, tapping the On does not turn off the shower light.

I want to be able to tap the off of the switch of this other light and be able to turn off the shower light regardless of the status of this other light's switch. This is why I used Set instead of Changed to.

My trigger type is Device Status Change.

Again, it works how I want it to except for the event getting triggered by a "Change to On" instead of the desired "Set Off."

Am I doing something wrong? Please help.

Thank you.
            One solution would be to get rid of the icons and put in the switchlincs that can do scenes. then just link the 2 together, such as with a master and a slave switch. First off, HS linking these together will give you some latency (through the PLC). If you had the switches linked it would be instantanious.

-Toby
            HS 3.0.0.199 Pro/Insteon 3.0.5.20/3 Venstar Insteon Therms / Insteon Thermostat 3.0.2.2 / DirecTV 3.0.0.14 / OpenSprinkler 2.0.5.21 / ITunes DAAP 3.0.0.23/ UltraM1G3 3.0.5437.37424/ UltraWeatherbug3 /HSTouch Svr 3.0.0.68/Zwave 3.0.1.25/Ultramon3/Global Cache 5.0.0.17/Various BLXXX Plugins.

Comment

Thanks for your replies and sorry I haven't gotten back sooner. jhimmel has it right. I assume I just need to trigger the event a few times and then grab the log file? Do I post the log here or email? File or in body?

Thanks.

Comment

So I finally got around to repeating the problem and then creating a log immediately after.

I still have the same problem as described above.

If anyone can discern what is going on from this file, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,
                Mike
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Oman View Post
                  There are no custom triggers for the Insteon plug-in. They should just fire as the devices change. I don't seem to see this here so it might be HomeSeer version specific. If you generate a report and post it I might be able to tell something more.

Jon
                  Oman,

Is the file posted above the type of report you're looking for. If not, please explain how I can gather the appropriate information.

Thank you,
                  Mike

Comment

This is what the log shows:

03.85.17 sends an OFF
                    03.85.17 then sends an ON

About 7 seconds later:

01.44.B8 sends an ON

That causes an event which causes 03.85.17 to go ON

This doesn't quite line up with what you were describing. Can you go into more detail?

Jon

Originally posted by mrceolla View Post
                    Oman,

Is the file posted above the type of report you're looking for. If not, please explain how I can gather the appropriate information.

Thank you,
                    Mike
                    Jon Ort
                    JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Hello Jon,

There is no event to cause the light to go on...just to go off.

01.44.B8 - bathroom light
                      03.85.17 - shower light

What I did right before capturing that log was turn the shower light on. I waited a few seconds and then turned on the bathroom light which in turn incorrectly turned OFF the shower light.

The event that does exist is to turn OFF the shower light only when:

Device Bathroom Bathroom Light is set to *OFF*

For some reason, "set to on" triggers this event as well.

Let me know if that or the log still isn't clear. I can capture another one if you'd like.

Thanks for your help,
                      Mike

Comment

Not sure if this is related or not, but i have an event that is susppsed to trigger on "Set On" for a button on a keypadlinc. I have not really looked into it yet, but it seems to fire on reguardless if I turn it on or off via the physical device. I'll have to test to see if I change the status within the web browser to see if that makes any difference.

Comment

Oman,

I am sending another log file. This time, the shower light has been on for a good while (as I'm writting this). The only button I am going to push is the on button of the bathroom light. This in turn will incorrectly turn OFF the shower light.

Again, no trigger exists for set on or change on for the bathroom light. HS for some reason is incorrectly seeing a set off from the bathroom light which fires an event to turn off the shower light.

" Device Bathroom Bathroom Light is set to *OFF* "

" Device Command: Bathroom Shower Light Off "

Again, all I did between writing this and generating the log is hit the bathroom light on. Could the switch be sending an off right before it switches on and sends the on?

So far my experiences with insteon and change to/set to have been a bit strange. Events seem to trigger at strange times. The above is my best, most clear cut example. I'm hoping a resolution to this will help shed light on some of my other problems. Maybe I just don't understand exactly what change to and set to means?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike
                          Attached Files

Comment

Turn on detailed logging and then post the log file *along* with the HomeSeer log. Timing is critical here since I can't see from the plug-in log what is happening on the HomeSeer device side of things. Also if you restart HomeSeer just before running the test the logs will be shorter.

I do see OFF commands coming from the Insteon device itself immediately after just about all the ON commands:

The question would be why? Are you sure you don't have the switches accidentally setup to receive X10 as well?

Jon

Originally posted by mrceolla View Post
                            Oman,

I am sending another log file. This time, the shower light has been on for a good while (as I'm writting this). The only button I am going to push is the on button of the bathroom light. This in turn will incorrectly turn OFF the shower light.

Again, no trigger exists for set on or change on for the bathroom light. HS for some reason is incorrectly seeing a set off from the bathroom light which fires an event to turn off the shower light.

" Device Bathroom Bathroom Light is set to *OFF* "

" Device Command: Bathroom Shower Light Off "

Again, all I did between writing this and generating the log is hit the bathroom light on. Could the switch be sending an off right before it switches on and sends the on?

So far my experiences with insteon and change to/set to have been a bit strange. Events seem to trigger at strange times. The above is my best, most clear cut example. I'm hoping a resolution to this will help shed light on some of my other problems. Maybe I just don't understand exactly what change to and set to means?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike
                            Jon Ort
                            JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

I didn't do anything special to enable the receiving of x-10. I thought it was always that way. I didn't know you could turn off x-10 compatibility. Could that be causing it? How do I change that?

How do I enable detailed logging and where is the HS log file?

Thanks,
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X