This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using the I/O 2450 with Garage Door

I wanted to poll the community and see how you monitor and control garage doors with Homeseer. My set up:

* Homeseer 2.3.0.60 using Mark's 1.4 Insteon plugin, PLM
    * I/O Linc 2450 connected and setup as recommended by Smarthome in the garage door kit
    * Three clean up events that as changes are seen to the "Garage Door" device, it will change the string to "open" or "closed" and email if it is left open for 10 mins.

The problem I am having is that sometimes, Homeseer and/or KeypadLinc button doesn't see an "open" or "closed". I would like to poll the 2450 for the status of the garage door sensor but since the 2450 is in momentary C mode, it will always come back as "off" regardless of the garage door status. It sounds like I may have some noise on my network but I thought Insteon overcomes that by design.

Although notifications wouldn't work like I want, I thought band-aid would just to automatically send an "off" after 10 mins and have the 2450 figure out if it is closed or not (as designed) and close it if necessary. The KeypadLinc sends an on and off and the 2450 responds appropriately but the odd thing is that the 2450 will only respond from Homeseer if I send an "on"... and "off" doesn't do anything. "On" will open it if closed and close it if open. The KeypadLinc "on" will only open it if it is closed and visa versa (as designed).

How is everyone else doing this? Anyone seeing this behavior? Any comments would be appreciated.

Lee,

did you every get the 2450 working on your door?

i think i found a cmd to poll the 2450 when it is in momentary mode which will return the status of the sensor not the relay.

this may help your setup
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Mark:

What is the command for this? I am using the 2450 and it is too inconsistent. When my garage is down it sometimes does not receive the proper signal. Do I put it in a script? Please let me know.

Thanks,
      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by skozin View Post
        Mark:

What is the command for this? I am using the 2450 and it is too inconsistent. When my garage is down it sometimes does not receive the proper signal. Do I put it in a script? Please let me know.

Thanks,
        Steve
        are you running 1.5.2 or later? you can use the standard hs.polldevice("A1") replace a1 with the appropriate code for your iolinc input sensor.

this will poll the sensor status and update the hs devuce
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Is this polling the I/O linc directly or is it looking on Homeseer at what the status was last? Is this product 2-way? I am still on 1.4.2.22. By upgrading to 1.5.2 do you have it poll itself automatically? I have had some computer issues recently and haven't had time to upgrade. Would it be better to set the polling interval to 5 minutes on the setup page. I will probably upgrade this weekend.

Thanks,
          Steve
          Last edited by skozin; January 20, 2011, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skozin View Post
            Is this polling the I/O linc directly or is it looking on Homeseer at what the status was last? Is this product 2-way? I am still on 1.4.2.22. By upgrading to 1.5.2 do you have it poll itself automatically? I have had some computer issues recently and haven't had time to upgrade. Would it be better to set the polling interval to 5 minutes on the setup page. I will probably upgrade this weekend.

Thanks,
            Steve
            polling will request the status from the iolinc directly and then update hs. the iolinc is 2-way and should send a msgs when the input sensor changes. You can set the polling frequency like any other device and then the system will autmatically poll
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I also had an issue with incorrect status from the 2450. Polling it would return the status of the output relay - no help. Then I ugraded the plugin to 1.5.2.22. It creates two devices for each 2450 - the Sensor and the Output Relay. Now polling it polls the Sensor channel. I just configured the polling interval to 10 minutes - (my 'door left open' alert is set for 15 minutes) so it updates the status of the Sensor in case the change was missed. Since doing this I no longer get false alarms.

To monitor, I have an event that is Condition triggered. It will trigger if the Input Sensor has been on for at least 15 minutes, AND the motion sensor is OFF, AND "ALERT SENT" is OFF. ALERT SENT is a virtual device. The event actions are to turn ON the ALERT SENT device, send an email, and a 30 minute delayed OFF of ALERT SENT. This will send me an email every 30 minutes if the door is left open and reset itself if the door is closed.

Comment

I had similar issues today, the Insteon plugin froze leaving most of my devices with the unknown status. When I restarted the plugin, I noticed that the Garage door input was set to on indicating that the garage door was open. I found out that the door was actually closed but the status had it as open. How do I prevent it from happening.

Current plugin 1.5.3.0.
                garage door configuration as smarthome suggested.
                Screenshot of the Insteon configuration attached.
                100% Comm Reliability
                Device Type: I/O Linc
                Firmware Version: 36

Thanks,
                Aldo
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by aldo View Post
                  I had similar issues today, the Insteon plugin froze leaving most of my devices with the unknown status. When I restarted the plugin, I noticed that the Garage door input was set to on indicating that the garage door was open. I found out that the door was actually closed but the status had it as open. How do I prevent it from happening.

Current plugin 1.5.3.0.
                  garage door configuration as smarthome suggested.
                  Screenshot of the Insteon configuration attached.
                  100% Comm Reliability
                  Device Type: I/O Linc
                  Firmware Version: 36

Thanks,
                  Aldo
                  aldo,

any indication in the log that the plugin tried to restart? if so, please post a log snipper

also, what ftdi chipset drivers ver are you running?

for now you can write a script cmd to poll your important devices on startup.

in your scripts\startup.txt add the following

hs.polldevice("a1")

replace a1 with the device code of the iolinc

this will poll that device after hs starts up.
                  Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Hi Mark,
                    I very much appreciate your replies.
                    any indication in the log that the plugin tried to restart? if so, please post a log snipper
                    The plugin did not restart, I think I do not have the latest plugin that will restart if is down.
                    I have the serial controller, do I need to update the chipset driver?
                    I created an event as you suggested but the status of the iolinc did not change, it still showed on when it was off. Are the setting in the device correct or they need a different settings.

hs.polldevice("a1")

Thanks again,
                    Aldo

Comment

Hi Mark,
                      I very much appreciate your replies.
                      The plugin did not restart, I think I do not have the latest plugin that will restart if is down.
                      I have the serial controller, do I need to update the chipset driver?
                      I created an event as you suggested but the status of the iolinc did not change, it still showed on when it was off. Are the setting in the device correct or they need a different settings.

hs.polldevice("a1")

Thanks again,
                      Aldo
                      Aldo,

if you are using the serial plm then no drivers are required. 1.5.3 is the latest release, the other version in the forum are just fixes for very specific issues.

so what indication did you have that the plugin stopped working? if you didn't get any errors in the log were you able to turn on/off lights from the status page? did the plugin stop recving msgs? I need more detail here

you need to put hs.polldevice("a1") into your startup.txt script not in an event.
                      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Hi Mark,
                        All my devices were in unknown status with a ?. I went into re-read devices but I was getting attempt 1.2.3 for all of them. I had to reboot HS to get the plugin to work again.

As of now this sensor is still showing the status of on, while the garage door is actually closed or off.
                        On Outside Outside Garage Door - Input Sensor ^29 Insteon I/O Linc Input Sensor Today 8:05:51 AM

On a different note, I notices that when I try to refresh all the devices, the plugin is also checking for the motion sensors giving errors. On the next release, could you change the plugin to bypass motion sensors checking?

Comment

Hi Mark,
                          All my devices were in unknown status with a ?. I went into re-read devices but I was getting attempt 1.2.3 for all of them. I had to reboot HS to get the plugin to work again.

As of now this sensor is still showing the status of on, while the garage door is actually closed or off.
                          On Outside Outside Garage Door - Input Sensor ^29 Insteon I/O Linc Input Sensor Today 8:05:51 AM

On a different note, I notices that when I try to refresh all the devices, the plugin is also checking for the motion sensors giving errors. On the next release, could you change the plugin to bypass motion sensors checking?
                          you should be using the 'poll device' btn on the hs status page to update the device status. please give that a try. MS and other wireless device won't be polled here.
                          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Hi Mark,
                            Aldo,

regarding the plugin freezing/locking up, if you were seeing log entries that the plugin was try to send cmds/retries then the plugin was still working.

Next time you see this, try unplugging the plm from the wall, waiting a few seconds then plug it back in and see if comm starts again.
                            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Thanks. Anything else I should be doing to report the correct status of the IO sensor?

Comment

Working...
                              X