Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Constant Z wave error in log!

Since starting to use Z wave I keep getting these errors in the log
    18/04/2013 22:29:25 System System clock changed from: 18/04/2013 22:29:28 to: 18/04/2013 22:29:25
    18/04/2013 22:36:15 Z-Wave Z-Wave WakeUp 'No More Info' Notification sent to Node
    1818/04/2013 22:39:31 Device Update Device: Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Garden Gate Battery Battery Level 70%
    18/04/2013 22:39:35 Warning Aborting Z-Wave send, taking too long to send command to node 12 waited 2 seconds
    18/04/2013 22:39:39 ERROR Timeout waiting for send abort to complete
    18/04/2013 22:39:39 Z-Wave Z-Wave WakeUp 'No More Info' Notification sent to Node 12
    18/04/2013 22:40:40 Z-Wave Z-Wave WakeUp 'No More Info' Notification sent to Node 6
    Anyone any idea what they mean or what's wrong?
    sigpic
    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

It appears the ZWave controller is not able to talk to node 12 in a timely fashion. Reading the penultimate line in your log I am making the assumption that node 12 is a battery device?

You might want to optimise your ZWave network to see if you can create a better route to improve comms to this node.
    Nicolai L

Comment

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
      sigpic
      A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

I get those errors ALL the time with my HSM100 battery powered devices. No amount of optimization has helped. I have finally given up on trying to get rid of them.

You might try adding the following lines to your settings.ini file (under the z-wave section):

Protocol_Wait=8000
        Response_Wait=8000

This will force HS to wait for 8 seconds for a response (instead of the default 2 seconds shown in your log entries).

If you fix these errors, please let me know!

Comment

Originally posted by Looms01 View Post
          I get those errors ALL the time with my HSM100 battery powered devices. No amount of optimization has helped. I have finally given up on trying to get rid of them.

You might try adding the following lines to your settings.ini file (under the z-wave section):

Protocol_Wait=8000
          Response_Wait=8000

This will force HS to wait for 8 seconds for a response (instead of the default 2 seconds shown in your log entries).

If you fix these errors, please let me know!
          I don't have a z-wave section in my ini file therfore I presume I should create it?
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah, just add the section then, like...

[Z-Wave]
            Protocol_Wait=8000
            Response_Wait=8000

Comment

Originally posted by Gogs View Post
              I don't have a z-wave section in my ini file therfore I presume I should create it?
              Look in Drive\Program Files\HomeSeer HSPRO\Config - should be at the bottom of the settings.ini

Comment

Gogs, the timeout issue is very common. Here's some fun bedtime reading:
                http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=30

I don't believe that adding the settings.ini Waits will help you. If your garden gate battery-operated device is a fair way from your controller and with other Z-Wave traffic around, HS just isn't getting to 'close the loop' in communicating in the few millseconds that the device transmits / receives. This will happen sometimes when there's only one hop from the device to the Controller, but can be much worse when there are two or more hops.

Per the suggestion in a post above, I'd make sure all Z-Wave devices you have purchased have been installed so your mesh is as big as it can be, you have your Controller as centrally situated as possible, you have fully optimized all powered devices 4 times, then you've kept awake your battery-operated devices and fully optimized them 4 times. Without going to the expense of adding a second Controller, then you've then done all you can!

As long as your garden gate device is working the way you want and you get your battery updates, motion, open/close, or whatever it does, then just ignore the 2 second timeout messages in the log. It just does not matter that the closed loop communications are showing a log error!

If you are being driven nuts by the log entries and can't ignore them, then switch them off! You'll still get critical errors appearing in the log if they occur, but you won't keep seeing the non-critical timeouts: Setup/Interfaces/Log Z-Wave Polling (Status Request) Errors: NO.
                All Z-Wave, #101 devices, HomeTroller Series2, HomeSeer2 v.2.5.0.81, & 1x Z-Troller

Comment

Kaldoon, It's not but it is now.

Looms01, I have put the entries into the ini file, I'll let you know if it makes a difference, don't think it will as I will explain below.

Olbrit,
                  Per the suggestion in a post above, I'd make sure all Z-Wave devices you have purchased have been installed so your mesh is as big as it can be, you have your Controller as centrally situated as possible, you have fully optimized all powered devices 4 times, then you've kept awake your battery-operated devices and fully optimized them 4 times.
                  I think I may have missed something in installing the units. All I did was add the node and presumed they would set up the Mesh.

Is there more I should have done?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gogs View Post
                    ...Is there more I should have done?
                    Yes, NicolaiL mentioned it above too, you have to Full Optimize all devices 4 times. The way I do it is to run Z-Health overnight for 2 or 3 nights: Tools/Manage Z-Wave Controller/Enable Network Health Feature, and make sure the log shows everything was successful. That establishes the mesh for powered Z-Wave devices. Then turn Z-Health off, go to each battery-powered Z-Wave device and run a manual Full Optimize 4 times while keeping it awake: Status/Z-Wave Root Device/Full Optimize Node.

That may be the only tricky thing for you depending on how your garden gate battery-operated Z-Wave device needs to be kept awake, as the device has to be Optimized at its final location. If you're lucky, just taking out the batteries for a minute and reinserting them will cause the device to stay awake long enough for 4 Full Optimizes to occur. If not and the device needs a button pressed regularly, then you'll have to have someone help you, or you literally have to sit next to the device while HS is running on your notebook/tablet/etc., and you select to Full Optimize while pressing the device's 'wake-up' button. If the docs aren't clear how to keep your battery-operated devices awake, just post their make/model back here and folks who also use them can let you know.

(Note: I add/import/scan/configure my new battery-operated devices right next to the Controller, make sure the load is clean and everything works the way I need, including creating and testing any associated events; then and only then I take the device out to its final location and do the Full Optimizes).

Although this is a PITA, once it's successfully done, you really don't have to do it again unless you make changes to the mesh, like adding/removing Z-Wave devices.
                    All Z-Wave, #101 devices, HomeTroller Series2, HomeSeer2 v.2.5.0.81, & 1x Z-Troller

Comment

Originally posted by Olbrit View Post
                      Yes, NicolaiL mentioned it above too, you have to Full Optimize all devices 4 times. The way I do it is to run Z-Health overnight for 2 or 3 nights:.........
                      Started that bit.

That may be the only tricky thing for you depending on how your garden gate battery-operated Z-Wave device needs to be kept awake, as the device has to be Optimized at its final location.....
                      According to the instructions I can wake them up manually for 10 mins, but, according to the Z-Wave receivers instructions they have to be within 2 feet of the transceiver for HS to interogate them, that would rule out them being in there final locations.

At present I have 1 Everspring SP103-2 motion sensor, 1 Everspring SP810-1 motion sensor and 4 Aeon Labs DSB04100 door sensors, everything else is mains powered.
                      sigpic

Comment

Sorry Gogs, although you should add/import/scan/configure new battery-operated devices right next to the Controller, you have to do the Full Optimizes at their final location - this is so they can determine their neigbors and routes to best get communications to/from the Controller. Only do this after you've finished with Z-Health and turned it off.

It's a good idea to test how well the battery devices stay awake and practice Optimizing next to the Controller, but the last 4 Full Optimizes have to be at their final location.

Comment

Working...
                        X