My two cents: Linear/Evolve vs GE Z-Wave switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My two cents: Linear/Evolve vs GE Z-Wave switches

For wall on/off switches, I initially bought two Linear/Evolve switches. Then I bought a GE switch. Then two more Linear/Evolve (needed to switch out the color, and couldn't find anywhere that sells the color kit for GE). My two cents. All operate just fine. But, I like the GE a lot better for two reasons:

(1) they feel more solid pressing on/off.
    (2) most importantly, they get included into the network with my Z stick with one press (well, my sample is one). All of Linear/Evolve switches are a pain in this respect. I have to tap the paddle many, many times, and at least a few times the Z stick turns off its inclusion mode, before inclusion is successful. Once inclusion, they work no problems, but that can be frustrating.

Originally posted by mikedr View Post
    For wall on/off switches, I initially bought two Linear/Evolve switches. Then I bought a GE switch. Then two more Linear/Evolve (needed to switch out the color, and couldn't find anywhere that sells the color kit for GE). My two cents. All operate just fine. But, I like the GE a lot better for two reasons:

(1) they feel more solid pressing on/off.
    (2) most importantly, they get included into the network with my Z stick with one press (well, my sample is one). All of Linear/Evolve switches are a pain in this respect. I have to tap the paddle many, many times, and at least a few times the Z stick turns off its inclusion mode, before inclusion is successful. Once inclusion, they work no problems, but that can be frustrating.
    The double-tap inclusion process is actually better in one important way. If you're using network wide inclusion to manage your network and you attempt to exclude a node... and someone turns a GE switch on or off at precisely the same time, you'll end up removing that node from the network! How (you might ask) do I know this? We have GE switches throughout of office and someone is always testing Z-Wave here. We often have nodes accidentally removed from the network!

Apart from that, I do also like the GE switches for 2 reasons:
    1. They use screw terminals for wiring connections. This makes them much easier to install, especially in shallower electrical boxes.
    2. HomeSeer can instantly poll a GE switch when it's locally controlled. The provides instant status feedback.

HOWEVER, it's not all roses, kittens and puppy dogs. The GE switches DO NOT support the Z-Wave scene class.. so they are not fully compatible with scene controllers. Also, their 3-way configuration requires a traveler wire be installed between the switch locations. Evolve and Linear support the scene class and their accessory switch only requires a power connection, since the association with the load switch is a wireless one (no traveler wire).
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Wait -- it's a double tap for the Linear/Evolve? I swear for me it's more like a 45-tap. Scene control isn't an issue for me (yet). The 3-way thing is exactly right, which is another reason I bought more Linear/Evolve.

Originally posted by macromark View Post
      The double-tap inclusion process is actually better in one important way. If you're using network wide inclusion to manage your network and you attempt to exclude a node... and someone turns a GE switch on or off at precisely the same time, you'll end up removing that node from the network! How (you might ask) do I know this? We have GE switches throughout of office and someone is always testing Z-Wave here. We often have nodes accidentally removed from the network!

Apart from that, I do also like the GE switches for 2 reasons:
      1. They use screw terminals for wiring connections. This makes them much easier to install, especially in shallower electrical boxes.
      2. HomeSeer can instantly poll a GE switch when it's locally controlled. The provides instant status feedback.

HOWEVER, it's not all roses, kittens and puppy dogs. The GE switches DO NOT support the Z-Wave scene class.. so they are not fully compatible with scene controllers. Also, their 3-way configuration requires a traveler wire be installed between the switch locations. Evolve and Linear support the scene class and their accessory switch only requires a power connection, since the association with the load switch is a wireless one (no traveler wire).

Comment

Another $0.02. The GE switches communicate better. I have three linear switches and they all have lower neighbor ratings than the GE devices. Also during the bad old days of Z-Wave plug-ins they were always the first to go unknown or fail to respond to a command.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
          Another $0.02. The GE switches communicate better. I have three linear switches and they all have lower neighbor ratings than the GE devices. Also during the bad old days of Z-Wave plug-ins they were always the first to go unknown or fail to respond to a command.
          Interesting. For white switches, I'm very much inclined to go with GE in the future.

Comment

Interesting. For white switches, I'm very much inclined to go with GE in the future.
            Like Mark said, while they don't support the actual instant status, they support the HS workaround of instant polling. It works very well except for the slave devices on 3-way installations. When you use a slave, the status doesn't update until the the next scheduled poll. Other than that one quirk, they are good and inexpensive devices.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
              Like Mark said, while they don't support the actual instant status, they support the HS workaround of instant polling. It works very well except for the slave devices on 3-way installations. When you use a slave, the status doesn't update until the the next scheduled poll. Other than that one quirk, they are good and inexpensive devices.

As far as I know this only works for one hop. If your switch communicates to your Z-Wave interface through another device there is no "instant status".

I would very much like to hear from HST on this issue.
              I can say FOR SURE that I don't have instant status from my (beloved) GE switches at the farther corners of my house... and it's not 100% even close to my Z stick. Though that does vary from Z-Wave plugin to Z-Wave plugin.

None of it works as well as it does with the MCV Vera. None works as well as it did with the Vera on the day I got it 4 + years ago. So something is askew somewhere.
              Originally posted by rprade
              There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

I'll have to check and get back. I know my GE switches in my shed provided instant status the last time I checked and they are the furthest devices from my Z-Troller. I'll check some more.

Comment

Are the GE switches recognized as the "best" z-wave switches out there? I don't have any Cooper/Aspires in the house.

I have been amazed by how far Z-Wave communication travels. We have a detached garage. I was concerned about communication with the switches in the garage, so I put a couple of repeaters on outside outlets, one on the outside of the house, and one on the outside of the garage. Turns out it wasn't necessary. All the z-wave switches in the garage can communicate directly with the Z Stick, which is located in an inside closet in the middle of the house, surrounded by other electronic equipment.

Comment

I have used all Cooper switches inmy house so far and have thoroughly enjoyed them. Very easy to use and very reliable.

In fact the only z-wave issue Ihave encountered at all is trying to monitor my second garage door bay. For some reason, probably all the garage door metal around it, the tilt sensor doesn't work well at all. works great on the main door though!

Comment

I use all Leviton and have been happy with them. They support Instant Status and Scenes and they have been very reliable with zero failures.

Cheers
                      Al
                      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                        I use all Leviton and have been happy with them. They support Instant Status and Scenes and they have been very reliable with zero failures.

Cheers
                        Al
                        My understanding, which could be wrong, is that the Leviton switches don't work like regular switches. That is, you don't tap the upper part to turn on, and the lower part to turn off. Is this correct?

Comment

Originally posted by chewie View Post
                          I have used all Cooper switches inmy house so far and have thoroughly enjoyed them. Very easy to use and very reliable.

In fact the only z-wave issue Ihave encountered at all is trying to monitor my second garage door bay. For some reason, probably all the garage door metal around it, the tilt sensor doesn't work well at all. works great on the main door though!
                          Try installing a repeater (those little Aeon guys) as close as you can, perhaps?

Comment

I have mostly cooper except Leviton fan controller. Both are rock solid but I strongly prefer Cooper. Dimming (fan rotation speed on Leviton) control bar is very easy to use - Leviton one is tiny and sharp and pain to click.

Even friends who are not into HA like Cooper dimmers a lot and have been asking about them.

And cooper also has 5 button scene controller that works with HS. My understanding is that new series (decorator vs designer) is way cheaper with same functionality. If you are looking at that price range I prefer Cooper.

Comment

Are the GE switches recognized as the "best" z-wave switches out there? I don't have any Cooper/Aspires in the house.

I have been amazed by how far Z-Wave communication travels. We have a detached garage. I was concerned about communication with the switches in the garage, so I put a couple of repeaters on outside outlets, one on the outside of the house, and one on the outside of the garage. Turns out it wasn't necessary. All the z-wave switches in the garage can communicate directly with the Z Stick, which is located in an inside closet in the middle of the house, surrounded by other electronic equipment.
                              I'm not sure there is a "best". I would think Leviton and Cooper would be better because of their more thorough implementation of Z-Wave commands and their support of "real" instant status. The GE/Jasco switches usually represent a lower price point, so they may be a better value. GE dimmers don't play well with a lot of LED lights, so all my dimmers have been switched to Cooper. For incandescent lights the GE dimmers are great.

Comment

Working...
                              X