3-way dual dimmer switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3-way dual dimmer switches

I currently have a 3way light circuit with 2 dimmer switches. I want to replace these with zwave switches. What switch would i use as the slave dimmer switch so both zwave switches can dim the lights from the switches? Thanks

You can use the GE 3 way zwave switch. Comes with two switches( master and slave). Master switch would be the gang box that has the power coming in - It's been a LONG time since I did the wiring for this so I don't remember all the exact details, but you would need to look at your wiring and see how your 3ways are wired. I think there are 3 or 4 ways to wire a 3 way switch, but there is a common way.
    Just google 3way wiring and see how yours looks.
    Tom
    baby steps...starting again with HS3
    HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
    HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
    Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
    In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
    System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Originally posted by denisl View Post
      I currently have a 3way light circuit with 2 dimmer switches. I want to replace these with zwave switches. What switch would i use as the slave dimmer switch so both zwave switches can dim the lights from the switches? Thanks
      Each manufacturer has slightly different way of doing 3-way - so most important is to decide which switch/dimmer/scene controller family you want to use and they buy from same manufacturer. Some do 3 way thru wires, some use wireless association. Either of those is compatible with existing 3 way wiring w/ 2 traveler wires ASSUMING you also have neutral in the boxes (older houses might not and then things get tricky - you might need to go w/ Aeon micro switches behind current switches).

HS gives you nice comparison charts:

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Home...on-W16C64.aspx

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Home...son-W7C63.aspx

Comment

I have neutral in the house. Thanks for the links, very helpful.

One other question. I have a 3 switch (2 upstairs, one downstairs) 3-way circuit for my hallway lights. Can I just replace one of those switches with a 3-way zwave switch to control the lights through homeseer or do I need to replace all 3?

Thanks

Comment

One other question. I have a 3 switch (2 upstairs, one downstairs) 3-way circuit for my hallway lights. Can I just replace one of those switches with a 3-way zwave switch to control the lights through homeseer or do I need to replace all 3?

Thanks
          Anyone know the answer to the above question? Getting ready to buy a bunch of light switches and hoping i can save a few bucks by only changing one switch in my existing 3way circuits. Thanks

Comment

Anyone know the answer to the above question? Getting ready to buy a bunch of light switches and hoping i can save a few bucks by only changing one switch in my existing 3way circuits. Thanks
            Most z-wave 3-way/4-way circuits will use one "real" switch along with companion switches to replace the others. The answer really depends on which line of switches you are planning to buy. I use Leviton and they have companion switches that are significantly cheaper than the z-wave switches.

Cheers
            Al
            HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

In a word, no. Z-wave companion switches aren't like regular 3-way switches.
              Originally posted by rprade
              There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Working...
              X