Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aeotec Multisensor 6 wake up

Hi
    Can anyone tell me if the 10 minutes wake-up is working with you when the sensor is powered by battery?

The instructions tells me that when you push the action button for 3 seconds the LED will start to blink yellow for 10 minutes bringing the sensor in the listening mode. This gives you the possibility to change the settings.

When I press this button, the led will blink for 1 second and that's it. no listening mode.

Tried ad in secure and unsecured mode.
    Resetting to factory was not helping
    Rescanning several times etc, was not helping.

any idea ? I want to know if I need to send it back because of a failure.
    thanks, Deem
    sensor version 1.6

I couldn't get mine to wake up as per instructions either. I ended up removing it and re-adding. Seems to have all working now but ultraviolet and luminance.

Comment

aeontec gave me this hint
      I would suggest that you keep on trying the press and hold method until the yellow LED turns on, it should blink yellow for 10 seconds. But if you cannot get that to work properly, there is an alternative method that i can suggest.
      1) Make the setting changes that you need.
      2) Send the configuration to the MS6.
      3) While the configuration is sending, tap the button of the MS6 which will wake it up momentarily.
      When the green LED turns off again, tap its button again.
      Keep doing this until the configuration has finished sending.
      then I found out that in default the wake-up mode is disabled.
      parameter 2 value 0 size 1
      any other value than 0 will enable the function

I tried to enable this but no succes.
      now configured the MS6 with usb attached and replaced battery

Comment

I wanted to re-energize this thread since our community has probably installed quite a few more Multisensor 6's. I really like the product but have a few issues I'd like to see if others have solved:

1) WakeUp Button: The "mechanical" linkage from the back cover(slight depression in one corner) to the micro-switch on the PC seems to be unreliable and even sticks in a position that makes it unusable. Solutions?

2) Wakeup Time: The manual indicates that holding the button for 3 seconds will wake up the device for 10 minutes. This has never worked for me. Solutions?

3) There seems to be a device code update( Version 1.7, June 2016) available. With the above Wakeup issue, has anyone done an Z-Net/in system update and if so, would you please post your procedure?

I and others would very much appreciate your experience,

Thanks,
        BobSpen

Comment

Bump

Comment

You can't do an OTA update with a Z-Net because Aeon Labs will not release the code files to do it. The only way you can do it is to remove the device and re-add it to a Z-Stick, then use the Aeon updater software.

I have 21 of these sensors total and I really like them but it would be so much easier if AL would release the files.

One thing about these is that unless you get unlimited batteries for free, you might want to seriously consider providing AC power to them all. I ended up running USB power through my entire attic to run all of mine because they eat batteries like few devices I have ever seen.

I never had a lot of luck with the 10-minute wake up, so I just connect them to the USB cable near my Zee whenever I needed to program them. Now that mine are all on AC, they are treated as listening devices and are always functional.

Comment

I have 2 of the newer MultiSensor 6 and several of the older MultiSensor 4-in-1 devices.

At least the older (4-in-1) version had an executable that allowed you to plug it into a USB port and upgrade the firmware. The Multi6 should have been just as easy, but Aeon touted the new OTA capability of Z-Wave Plus and totally screwed this up in my opinion. Yes, having to exclude from Z-Net, then include to a Z-Stick, then perform the OTA upgrade, exclude from Z-Stick and finally include to Z-Net again is a major PIA! for just 2 sensors. Great if you're using an Aeon controller, not so much otherwise. Just stupid.

Battery life however has been much improved in the Multi6. The old 4-in-1 models are horrible especially outdoors, depending on weather conditions. I have had two of them chew up brand new batteries in about 24 hours! (Go from 100% to less than 10% in 24 hours). It's so bad I am actually working on a prototype UPS that uses a LiPo battery and a solar panel to power these things via the USB port, so I never have to change batteries in them again. As for the indoor units I plan upgrade them to the newer Multi6 models a little at a time. The 2 that are installed right now are powered via the 2 CR123 batteries and I have not had the battery level drop below 100% since July 29th (almost 2 months now). SO that looks promising. It remains to be seen if the battery level will drop off drastically as time goes on.

Comment

Be aware that battery updates are not always working. don't be surprised if the battery powered zwave device suddenly stop working because the battery is empty. While in HS the battery has 100%. I'd draw conclusions on the lifetime not on the battery device. Think about it. After a couple of hours/days the battery should be at least 99%.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (4) met Tapatalk

Comment

The batteries are usually lithiums, which have a steep drop off curve. Mine usually would show 100% right up until I realized they were dead. Lithiums seem to defeat accurate reporting on most of these devices. One of the reasons I went all USB powered on all of mine....

Comment

Thanks! That explains a lot.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (4) met Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for all for the inputs. Keep it up and we will figure these things out!

Disappointed that the firmware updates are so difficult--will probably never do.

The battery reporting issue I think might be connected to an update that HS did to the HS3 code or the Z-Wave PI. My Multisensory 6 used to update the battery level several times per day(based on the "last update" date on the device page). Now that date is still the last install date and the batteries show 100%(been running now more than 7 months). I set the wake up time at the max which I think is 254 minutes(about 4 hrs). The "environmental" sensors report at 1 hour intervals. "Motion activity" is modest, maybe 5 to 10 times /day. If I knew the 100% indication was correct, I'd be impressed.
                      BobSpen

Comment

I see the same issue with this where the battery shows 100%. When I point it against my Vera, I get proper battery level. Something appears to be wrong in Homeseer around this. I am using the aeotec zwave plus stick to rule out MS6/ stick integration against this as a controller issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is there any hope that Homeseer is going to fix the battery reporting issue for the Aeotec Multisensor 6? I've seen other threads on this, but I don't know which is the canonical one to reply to. I'm running the latest and greatest homeseer 3 version and z-wave plugin with the multisensors at version 1.8. The battery level never gets updated.

I've tried using the SDJ-Health app, but it sees the same thing, always 100%. But maybe it is just using what Homeseer has? I guess I'll use SDJ-Health to set up alerts when they stop updating and assume that is because they are out of power.

Comment

Originally posted by Beltane View Post
                            Is there any hope that Homeseer is going to fix the battery reporting issue for the Aeotec Multisensor 6? I've seen other threads on this, but I don't know which is the canonical one to reply to. I'm running the latest and greatest homeseer 3 version and z-wave plugin with the multisensors at version 1.8. The battery level never gets updated.
                            I'm not saying there definitely isn't a bug in HS but I think it is more probably due to the way manufacturers implement battery reporting on different devices and even different versions of firmware on the same device. I only have about 20 ZWave devices running on batteries but I have been keeping a pretty close eye on them recently, by logging battery readings using SDJ-Health, some report work well and some don't.

I have one of my Aeon Multisensor 6s running on batteries and it reports battery levels very accurately in HS3. I did have a problem with it only using one battery but that was a hardware issue and required the battery connector bending out a little to make contact with the recessed end of the Duracell batteries.

I have a few others running on USB so it's difficult to remember how I set each one up but I'm pretty sure I upgraded the firmware to 1.08, HS3 says 'Application Version 1.8'. I have all polling turned off as the device sends out the information based on how it's configured, it doesn't need requests.
                            You have to have some sympathy with HS as Aeon and other manufacturers change settings between firmware versions so supporting them can be a nightmare. It is therefore necessary to set some parameters directly by number. You can of course set all parameters by number rather than using any settings that HS may show on the settings page.

Attached is a view of my settings page. Note that it says the motion sensor is disabled. This is incorrect but due to the different firmware which has sensitivity levels rather than just enable/disable for this parameter. Set parameter 4 (1 byte) to 5 for enabled at maximum sensitivity.

You can see from the settings that I have the wake-up period at 10 minutes.
                            This is quite short but necessary as it is in a bathroom and I want regular temp and humidity readings to control various things. I have lum, hum and temp in group 1 set to report every 600 seconds, i.e. same as wake-up period. On batteries it won't send out reports at a shorter period than the wake-up. I have battery level reporting set in group 2 reporting every 21600 seconds, 6 hours. No need for anything shorter. Note that to confuse things Aeon group numbers here are a different context to group numbers in associations. I only have an association for Group 1 set to Homeseer.

There are another couple of parameters relating to battery reporting which should be ok at their default values. Parameter 39 is the low battery level Which by default is set to 20%. I can confirm that mine reports Low Battery when the level drops to 20%. At the last check mine died a few days after reporting low battery so it's not a bad default. Parameter 44 is the threshold change in battery level to induce an automatic report, default 10%. I don't think this affects the regular sending of battery levels as I get readings changing by as little as 2%. I think it will force a battery reading at a wake-up if the level has changed by this threshold, so not necessary to change.

Note that HS only reports the battery level when it actually changes and it will stay at 100% for some weeks but then steadily drop. This makes it difficult to know whether a device is set up correctly without an unusual amount of patience, not a trait many HA enthusiasts exhibit The Multisensor 6 is unusual in that the batteries are in parallel so it can run on just one. Take one out and the level should report as 50%, mine certainly does.

Steve
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X