Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanity Check: Does Anyone Really Want This (Amazon Key)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sanity Check: Does Anyone Really Want This (Amazon Key)?

https://youtu.be/t1uZ-2xbefA
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Nope!
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
      Plugin's:
      BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
      EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
      weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Not at all.

Comment

My initial response was, "Hell, NO!" However, listening to the patter..... I think some people would like this service a lot. Not for me, but I think Amazon will sell quite a few of these....
          HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
          Home Assistant 2024.3
          Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
          Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
          Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
          WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
          AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Did anyone notice that the delivery driver left the van doors completely open during the delivery? Irony anyone?
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I saw this today on the local news here in Denver and our city is part of this now. Amazon has gone down hill in so many ways in relation to customer service here. They hired contractors to do their delivery and between oil stains on my driveway from their pos cars and just plain missed deliveries... I am over them.

Giving access to those same contractors to my house is just plain stupid... let alone both my dogs would get a free meal.

This service will gain traction though. Kids and younger adults are slowly becoming ok with giving up the concept of privacy in the name of convenience.

One thing I am curious about on this, Amazon is working on drone tech to deliver packages... how does that fit in with this offering now?

Comment

I've never seen any delivery driver, around here, close the doors (ever) except in the dead of winter. Those vans aren't air conditioned and the driver sits on the motor.

I think the delivery aspect is almost a red herring. I believe this will become all about offering in-home services.... for example, to people in the NE corridor who are always either at work or in transit and want cleaning services, dog walking, fish feeding, whatever, provided by Amazon Services.

Considering the ubiquitous key-under-the-mat scenario, this technology couldn't be any worse.... Still..... not my thing.
                HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                Home Assistant 2024.3
                Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post
                  I think the delivery aspect is almost a red herring. I believe this will become all about offering in-home services.... for example, to people in the NE corridor who are always either at work or in transit and want cleaning services, dog walking, fish feeding, whatever, provided by Amazon Services.
                  I believe that Amazon has said explicitly that service delivery is their ultimate goal.

I don't understand why people tolerate the monitoring that is going on now, including web surfing, purchase histories, and always-on microphones connected to Amazon or Google computers, so it's not surprising that a door lock that Amazon can control seems like an unattractive "feature" to me. But, just like we will all have to get used to everyone having access to our SS number, birth date and location, and other identifying information, it's not hard to rationalize how a new generation will be fine with letting any random person into their house if they work as a contractor for an Amazon-sponsored service.
                  Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                  HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thinking it is more now convenience and speed versus safety and security and making money for Amazon.

Noticed now a couple of news items where folks are getting Amazon deliveries with illicit drug deliveries (by accident?).

Geez in the 1980's I would order my fireworks directly from the factory via mail order and delivered by UPS. The box did have all kinds of explosive notifications on it.

Lately my 2 day Prime deliveries from Amazon (not a 3rd party seller on Amazon) are now taking 4-5 days. Last year a Friday order would be delivered on Sunday. Today I am lucky to get a Friday order by Wednesday the next week.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

judging by the somewhat shady looking individuals that seem to be employed/contracted by Amazon certainly in my area I barely trust them to bring my parcel intact let alone open the front door.

Perhaps I might agree to a mini locker somewhere on the side of the house with a programmable lock but no way are they having a code to the front door, I might as well give the code straight to the burglars and be done with it!!

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                        I saw this today on the local news here in Denver and our city is part of this now. Amazon has gone down hill in so many ways in relation to customer service here. They hired contractors to do their delivery and between oil stains on my driveway from their pos cars and just plain missed deliveries... I am over them.
                        I'm glad it is not just me. Almost half of the packages delivered by AMZL have been late and 2 have been lost. I have had them shown as delivered, but they never arrived and security recordings proved they weren't delivered. It is a giant step down from what they were a couple of years ago.
                        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                          Did anyone notice that the delivery driver left the van doors completely open during the delivery? Irony anyone?
                          In my neighbor hood this all would be "OK". The millennials might go for it - they seem trusting

Comment

It's the easy button way for millennials.
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Funny! I wonder how the insurance industry feels about this scenario.

I bet that they would decline a insurance claim stating that the home owner let the intruder in.

Go figure...
                              HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Working...
                              X