using the usb ports on znet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

using the usb ports on znet

I am in the process of moving over from vera.

I am wanting to move control of the caddx alarm from vera to HS.

I already use a smart stick on a pc to control the homeseer zwave network. Vera was able to be located in the utility room where the alarm panel is. The PC is not able to be located there. So I had the idea to put a znet next to the alarm since it has usb ports and ethernet. I control the alarm with usb -> serial. I have the znet setup as a secondary controller, and I believe that I am ready to simply connect the alarm. However, I don't know how to access the usb ports on the znet from within the caddx plugin. It is only showing the usb ports on my PC. How can I point it to the usb ports on the znet? Thanks!

The znet is just a remote zwave interface, this is not a supported feature.

If you don't mind tinkering with the OS and possibly voiding the warranty you could probably run a remote instance of the plugin on the znet...

Comment

Any ideas how to make this work. I have thought of using usb over ethernet, but I have no experience with that or how solid it is.

Comment

I have no knowledge of Caddx plugin but if it is configurable to connect via IP, as you appear to be stating, you could look at Global Cache devices.

Comment

Originally posted by brientim View Post
          I have no knowledge of Caddx plugin but if it is configurable to connect via IP, as you appear to be stating, you could look at Global Cache devices.
          The plug in needs a COM port (which is typically a usb -> serial, so that you can use a common usb port on the device you are using). It looks like it is only looking at the PC that homeseer is installed on. If I were to buy this:

https://www.globalcache.com/products/itach/ip2slspecs/

Which looks like it will technically work, will the serial port show up in the plugin?

Probably what I need to be asking is: Will the plugin ONLY look at the local computers ports. If so then I pretty much have no choice other than some sort of usb extender over ethernet or powerline. Reading reviews on such devices makes it seem like they are very unreliable, which is not what I want for a security system.

Can homeseer talk to vera, and I just leave vera installed for the security?

Comment

Originally posted by victorb17 View Post
            I am in the process of moving over from vera.

I am wanting to move control of the caddx alarm from vera to HS.

I already use a smart stick on a pc to control the homeseer zwave network. Vera was able to be located in the utility room where the alarm panel is. The PC is not able to be located there. So I had the idea to put a znet next to the alarm since it has usb ports and ethernet. I control the alarm with usb -> serial. I have the znet setup as a secondary controller, and I believe that I am ready to simply connect the alarm. However, I don't know how to access the usb ports on the znet from within the caddx plugin. It is only showing the usb ports on my PC. How can I point it to the usb ports on the znet? Thanks!

The znet can expose the USB ports to ethernet using the service ser2net (configuration file is typically /etc/ser2net.conf). The critical component is if the plug-in has the ability to connect via ethernet.

I don't have a security panel, but the caddx plug-in would need to allow tcp/ip connectivity.

I have my USB rfx transmitter pluged into my znet and exposed that usb port as an ip/tcp port and configured the rfxcom plugin to connect via ip and port.

The following exposes USB0 on port 10001
            Code:
            # rfxtrx433e
            10001:raw:60:/dev/ttyUSB0:38400 NONE 1STOPBIT 8DATABITS
            Listening ports on the znet:
            Code:
            State      Recv-Q Send-Q        Local Address:Port          Peer Address:Port
            LISTEN     0      128                       *:111                      *:*
            LISTEN     0      128                       *:80                       *:*
            LISTEN     0      1                         *:10001                    *:*
            LISTEN     0      1                         *:2001                     *:*
            LISTEN     0      128                       *:22                       *:*
            Attached Files
            Len

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
            Linux version: Linux homeseer Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64
            Number of Devices: 633
            Number of Events: 773

Enabled Plug-Ins
            2.0.54.0: BLBackup
            2.0.40.0: BLLAN
            3.0.0.48: EasyTrigger
            30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
            3.0.6.2: SDJ-Health