Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Passive RFID swipe cards that work with CheaperRFID - Interested?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passive RFID swipe cards that work with CheaperRFID - Interested?

Hey everyone, I have been thinking of an addon to the CheaperRFID system. I think for a fairly reasonable price I can create a passive RFID reader that will work with the passive swipe cards and transmit the tag information over to a CheaperRFID Receiver (possible firmware update from me needed).

This receiver will need to be AC powered as the current draw to run it will be more than batteries can support. The read range on the receiver module is about 3/4-1 inch from the reader. I could make it a standalone reader with a serial port as well and possibly in the future even ethernet or Wi-Fi enable it.

Any interest?

PiperPilot

I think it's a great idea!

I've been using the same concept that you are talking about at my house (at least I was before removing my automation for my upcoming move). I use the Cheaper Tags to tell what cars are home/people.

Then for certain rooms I swipe a card/tag/etc. using the passive system from Phidget
    http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store...Only-USB-.aspx

I use a custom piece of software...it is just setup to make "dos" calls to HS to turn devices on and off.

Works well...

--Dan
    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

I would be interested, as long as it just needs power.

Not sure what you are proposing for a standalone reader. I really don't need another device that requires a serial connection, but if you were to provide a LAN enabled device, that would be a welcome addition. BTW, replacing the existing receiver with one that connects over a LAN would be very useful as well.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

For a standalone reader, I was thinking that it would read the passive RFID tags and then transmit the information via RF 315mhz to the existing CheaperRFID receiver.

I have thought about making a CheaperRFID receiver with LAN or WiFi back to the HS machine...I'll have to look into that again. Because of the component costs to do it, it would obviously not be as cheap as the existing receiver...technically possible though!

PiperPilot

Comment

I'd be very interested as well. We use passive RFID keyfobs where I work for entrance doors - I'd love to use these at home or some other keyfob.
          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Sounds like a great idea, as long as the price doesn't get to high.

StevenE
            Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

I too would be very interested to see where this goes. Ideas are flowing!

Bryan
              Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
              Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

Count me interested.

Comment

Working...
                X