Problem with replacing nodes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with replacing nodes

I used the Replace Node option for the first time this weekend. I had 2 old Evolve dimmers in my living room, that I wanted to replace with one HomeSeer WD100+ and one WS100+. The old dimmers had a single HS device. The new HS ones of course are supposed to generated 3 - Root, Central Scene and Control.

When I ran the replace option on the one I was switching to the WS100+, it created the root device on the original RefID of the old switch, and then generated the Central Scene and Control devices as new, with the next sequential RefIDs. Whilst that sounds good, it doesn't actually help with maintaining events that were controlling the old RefID as it's the new Control device and not what has now become the Root device that is required to keep your existing events working

When I ran the replace option on the Evolve to HS dimmer switch, it took the original RefID device, recategorised it as "Z-Wave Switch Multilevel Root Device" but created the controls on the root device instead of a new separate device. It successfully created the Central Scene, but I had just 2 of the expected 3 devices and one is both Root and Control. In some ways this is better as it didn't break existing events, but I know it did not create the expected devices.

This isn't a major deal as I only had a handful of events controlling these switches, but it's definitely odd and inconsistent behaviour. I have now removed and re-added the dimmer which has generated the correct devices. I have manually fixed up the events.

Moral of the story... I don't think I will use the Replace Node functionality again.

I am on .357 core HS3 and .130 Z-Wave running on Win 10 Home. I am sure the Replace Node functionality hasn't been touched in ages, so I won't be upgrading to the latest Beta plugin until it is no longer a Beta and has actually been released!
    cheeryfool

I was always under the impression that the replacement was supposed to be the same type of device. I know a re-scan after can fix some of the issues (not events) but like you see some devices have a different amount of child devices or controls.

I'm sure somethings will work but changing a Homeseer switch to a Jasco even if both were on/off will likely have issues since the homeseer has more child devices and features.

Comment

Working...
    X