www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Irrigation Plug-ins > Irrigation Discussion

Irrigation Discussion Discussion of irrigation integration with HomeSeer systems.

Old May 4th, 2017, 10:59 AM
Seer Deluxe

Understood. If push comes to shove you could replace your relay with one that has a 15vdc coil and it would work fine with your system. Let us know how it goes!
Old May 4th, 2017, 02:29 PM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowinger View Post
Understood. If push comes to shove you could replace your relay with one that has a 15vdc coil and it would work fine with your system. Let us know how it goes!
The relay is brand new so I can just return it to Amazon. Just bought the house and the old relay was shot. It wouldn't pass the 220v when receiving 24v. The new relay works fine when I use a 24v power supply. I'm going to reach out to Nortek to see what they say before abandoning the controller or my new relay.

Thanks for the advice.
Old May 4th, 2017, 02:49 PM
Seer

Nortek literally just told me to return the controller as they are still in testing by the manufacturer and not intended to be sold yet. Bizzare. I'd like to keep it but I can't seem to find the correct relay to trigger at 15VDC and pass 220VAC.
Old May 4th, 2017, 04:40 PM
Seer Deluxe

I think you could get away with a solid state relay. They accept 3-32 vdc at very low current on the input and I have seen them for 220 vac output up to 40A. If you are pulling over 10A on output then I recommend a heatsink for it. There are single phase and 3 phase versions. Saw them on Amazon.

Added: FYI, the irrigation controller works perfectly. Just finished setting up. All zones work with UI and HSTouch.

Last edited by cowinger; May 4th, 2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old May 30th, 2017, 11:59 AM
Seer

Valve Voltage

The controller hits the valve with about 17VDC for a short time then drops to a littler under 5VDC with very short pulses of 17VDC until it turns off.

There is a current limit that might be being hit if the solenoid for the relay takes much more current than a valve.
Old May 30th, 2017, 12:01 PM
Seer

The coil must be less than or equal to the current required for a valve, about 500mA.
Old May 30th, 2017, 12:04 PM
Seer

There are Z-Wave commands to load a schedule into the controller. I haven't figured out how to do that yet.
The on time for each valve can be set in one second intervals if the HS allows that. The other way to do that is to just turn on the next valve when you want the previous one to end. Since only the master valve and one zone valve can be on at a time, it will automatically turn off the previous valve.
Old May 30th, 2017, 01:57 PM
Seer Deluxe

Here is an example of a water schedule event I created. Maybe you can create yours based on some of the entries. Sorry it's in two pics but couldn't get it all to fit in one.
Attached Images

Old May 30th, 2017, 02:02 PM
Seer Plus

I have this controller and am curious as to what the System Enable does? Does it turn on a pump?
Old May 30th, 2017, 03:04 PM
Seer Deluxe

The system enable actually can control the unit and the running of the event. If it is disabled the controller will flash a red led on the controller and the event will not run. If it is enabled the controller will show a steady green led. Now all events will run. As a double precaution I have an appliance module on the power adapter to the controller that I can turn the power on or off entirely.

The pump output is turned on automatically by the unit before it turns on a valve.

Re-test change!!

It appears that the system enable doesn't do anything to stop the running of the event. I stand corrected. I ran an event that applied power to the power adapter and then turned on a valve with the system enable off and the event ran and the valve came on. So the lines with the system enable can be removed.

Last edited by cowinger; May 30th, 2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old June 4th, 2017, 11:33 AM
Seer Plus

Thanks for the update. I'd like to think that System Enable would turn on the internal schedule whenever Go Control gets around to implementing it.
Old June 21st, 2017, 08:12 PM
Seer

I am using standard timers, it works fine.
I crated 2 options, one with a counter that I can easily modify from HSTouch add or reset. It was every 2 days at the beginning, now I left it for Before and after summer time with 3 days. If counter is 3 then it will Water and as counter reaches 4 it will be reset to 0

The Other one uses Week numbers, so during a range of week numbers will Water on even days for 10 minutes each valve.

Grass is greener than ever.

Hope it helps as ideas.
Attached Images

Old July 8th, 2017, 08:47 PM
Seer

I took cowinger's suggestion and got a solid state relay and it works like a champ. I'm still scratching my head as to why Nortek would design this thing with a master pump terminal that outputs DC voltage when every pump start relay in the wild is designed for 24V. The solenoids for the sprinklers seem to do find with the low DC however. Regardless I'm up and running now. Thanks everyone.
Old July 12th, 2017, 11:39 AM
Seer

How Control GoControl Wi15VZ-1 with Echo

I have a GoControl irrigation controller that shows up in Echo as :

"Irrigation System Enable". It does not show "Irrigation Valve".

How do I turn on a valve using Echo-Alexa voice commands?
Old August 7th, 2017, 03:12 PM
Seer

Did you try wiring the 24VAC relay to those two terminals on the GoControl?
It should work just fine. It blasts it with about 17VDC to get it to turn on then dropws to 5VDC with an short pulse of 17VDC to keep it on.
It is very energy efficient that way.
Note: Feel the temperature of this power supply to a regular 24VAC one.

Last edited by SprinklerZ; August 7th, 2017 at 03:13 PM. Reason: typo.!
Old August 14th, 2017, 06:55 PM
Seer Deluxe

I just received this unit and the event possibilities are endless. I'm not very good at events but I did stumble across some interesting options.

To this I plan to obviously add my zones and times possibly using a counter as demonstrated by @sirexilon

Good stuff.
Attached Images

Old August 14th, 2017, 08:37 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
Thanks for the update. I'd like to think that System Enable would turn on the internal schedule whenever Go Control gets around to implementing it.
I would be surprised if internal scheduling is implemented since that's the purpose of z-wave, to control devices. It's the same with z-wave thermostats. Nearly all the programming happens in the z-wave controller not the device.

But you never know...
Old August 19th, 2017, 02:37 PM
Seer

Pressure sensor

Can anyone point me to the specs for a compatible pressure sensor or model of sensor used successfully with the GoControl system? I use well water and need to avoid low pressure that might drop out the backflow preventer valve. I don't see anything in the user manual about the types of sensors that will work.
Old September 21st, 2017, 08:04 PM
Seer

Well. The sensor should be a simple dry contact.

But that’s not your problem. The problem
Is that homeseer sells this device as an “go control” device.
Go control on their side don’t want anything to do with this controller.
They don’t provide support or warranty for this thing, no matter what the paperwork states.

THe device itself was advertised with a lot of futures by gocontrol. If this controller would do all those things it would be great.
Unfortunately go control dropped the controller from their lineup. looks like homeseer did buy the controller that were already produced but sell them as simple on/off switch.

So on one side you have great features advertised but what you get if a simple switch (except for the automatic shutoff).

It would be great from homeseer to stop advertising this thing as gocontrol device OR , even better, come up with a plugin that enables all those sensor for us to use.

The flow sensor is the most interesting one since you could detect a leak and stop the water.
You could also detect A clogged sprinkler and get a message.

Right now when there is a electrical failure of a relay the led on the controller blinks red. That’s all, you don’t get a message in home seer.

That’s makes it useless. Since I have to go to the controller when watering time is to check if the led is blinking red!!!!

Anyway, great concept but useless in till homeseer gives us a plug-in for this device.

There is some “hacking” that involves sending raw zwave commands to be able to get this going but hats over my head.

Shame on homeseer for the false advertising.

Someone commended that the device wouldn’t do any in its own because that’s what zwave is for (control).

I disagree respectfully.
A thermostat was mentioned as an example.
That’s a good example, you set the thermostat and the the controller does the rest. No zwave involved unless you want to change a setting.
The same should go for the irrigation controller
Set it I once and that’s it.

Like water every other day for then minutes EXCEPT should it rain.
Easy stuff that ANY controller can do.

Not sure about this “smart controller” there is an input for a rain sensor but no documentation if it needs to be enabled or not.

So do answer your question.
You can hook up a simple dry contact pressure sensor but no one knows on how to activate / use it.

Shame on homeseer
Old September 21st, 2017, 08:16 PM
Seer Deluxe

@Mahera - you make some very valid points. Please refer to some of my comments in another thread. https://forums.homeseer.com/showthre...ght=irrigation

I did get some help from nortek, but certainly not enough help.

This controller was designed to do a lot, but in fact does very little. I did succeed in getting the rain sensor working but it's a shame that most of the other features remain hidden. It can handle internal scheduling, uploads of tables, etc but alas, no one will tell us how.
Attached Images