Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for advice on best way to get started....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for advice on best way to get started....

I have been using insteon with a hub for a couple years now. I decided to go with homeseer and to use this plug-in.

I use a Insteon Hub (2245) setup to 2 thermostats and ~50 switches. I bought a PLM 2413U thinking that I needed it.

When I was setting up, I saw that I could connect to the Hub. I was able to do that but the plugin did not recognize the existing devices. I read in another thread that a user had to redo all of the connections when they were moving from standard plugin to this one. it was recommended to reset all devices as well. I am guessing that I am not doing anything wrong and will need to do the same connections as well. Please correct me if I am wrong.

My questions are:

1) Will I need to reset all of the switches and hub to connect them to Homeseer and the plugin?

2) Is it better to use the PLM 2413U or the hub itself? If I use the hub, will I be able the Insteon apps in addition to homeseer app? (not sure why I would do this but figured I would ask.)

THanks a bunch.

Welcome to the forum

Answers
    1. if you aren't going to use the insteon app anymore, in general its better to reset the hub and devices; the links that the insteon app creates aren't exactly the same as the ones the plugin writes so you will end up with a lot of duplicate looking links.

2. if you don't need the internet accessibility of the hub or network connectivity of the hub for placement in your home, I would recommend the 2413U. You would need to expose hs or hstouch to the internet so you can control devices remote.

You can use both the hub with app and 2413 with plugin. There is a setting for the plugin insteon.ini to attempt to keep hs status in sync as you change devices from the app. it's documented in the doc thread avail at the top of the forum. you will end up with extra links in each device but its not really a problem.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
      Welcome to the forum

Answers
      1. if you aren't going to use the insteon app anymore, in general its better to reset the hub and devices; the links that the insteon app creates aren't exactly the same as the ones the plugin writes so you will end up with a lot of duplicate looking links.
      I'm new to HomeSeer, and kind of have the same question. I have all my devices in the old HouseLinc and I've been manually adding them by device number into the plug on. I notice that it's copying over all the links as well.

Is there a downside to just leaving the links there? I'd rather not have to reset all the switches and also give up totally on HouseLinc when it is working. I assume that when I create events in HomeSeer, HS will create new links between my devices. And I assume for what Insteon calls controllers these new links will overwrite the old Insteon links.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by pcourt View Post
        I'm new to HomeSeer, and kind of have the same question. I have all my devices in the old HouseLinc and I've been manually adding them by device number into the plug on. I notice that it's copying over all the links as well.

Is there a downside to just leaving the links there? I'd rather not have to reset all the switches and also give up totally on HouseLinc when it is working. I assume that when I create events in HomeSeer, HS will create new links between my devices. And I assume for what Insteon calls controllers these new links will overwrite the old Insteon links.

Any help would be appreciated.
        you don't need to recreate the links as you noticed; the plugin will read what is currently programmed into the devices. the links that houselinc creates may be a little different from what the plugin writes but they should work either way.the first byte may be different. when you register the devices with the plugin, the plm/controller will write what it needs to control the device. these links may look similar to links that houselinc wrote.

homeseer events won't create any links. If you create Groups/Scenes in the plugin, then the plugin will create the necessary links.

you wont be able to run houselinc and homeseer at the same time as both required dedicated access to the interface/PLM.
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
          you don't need to recreate the links as you noticed; the plugin will read what is currently programmed into the devices. the links that houselinc creates may be a little different from what the plugin writes but they should work either way.the first byte may be different. when you register the devices with the plugin, the plm/controller will write what it needs to control the device. these links may look similar to links that houselinc wrote.

homeseer events won't create any links. If you create Groups/Scenes in the plugin, then the plugin will create the necessary links.

you wont be able to run houselinc and homeseer at the same time as both required dedicated access to the interface/PLM.
          Thanks for the quick response. So I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and not worry about erasing / resetting the current links. (I am probably using the word "link" in too generic a sense.)

And yes, I already have two Hubs. An old one for Houselinc and a newer one to use the current Insteon app (which I do not like).

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by pcourt View Post
            Thanks for the quick response. So I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and not worry about erasing / resetting the current links. (I am probably using the word "link" in too generic a sense.)

And yes, I already have two Hubs. An old one for Houselinc and a newer one to use the current Insteon app (which I do not like).

Thanks again.
            ok. feel free to start a new thread as issues arise.
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
            X