Brilliant Touchscreen Smart Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simonmason View Post
    They do look nice, and are reasonably priced as a $199 small format touchscreen.

So to clarify, if we were to use these in the homeseer setup and not use the native Brilliant HA software you can run it strictly as a browser and load HSTouch.

However the local load cannot be addressed by homeseer as it is not technically a z-wave switch but is in fact a z-wave controller? So local control of the load would not be possible without running Brilliant's native HA software?
    I have 6 coming, so I hope that's not true. I was under the impression that you could use it with a third party controller.

That said, If HST needs one, when I get mine In I'll send them one (to borrow!) so they can get it working in HS!

Comment

Maybe try these steps? (from their site where they specifically say it can work with a third party hub. It may just be that Homeseer needs to have one so they can add support for it).

Including or Removing Brightswitch from a network (Such as adding or removing Brightswitch from a Smart Home hub)

From the main screen select Gear, then Connections, then Z-Wave. Next, start the add or remove device process on the hub, then press the "Edit *name*'s Network" and "Start Learn Mode" buttons on Brightswitch. Wait until the process completes. Use the "?" mark displayed on the Z-Wave page on Brightswitch to update its knowledge about the Z-Wave network.

Brightswitch and the hub will share information about the devices they already have. Some hubs (such as a SIS hub) will allow Brightswitch to continue to add additional Z-Wave devices, some will not. Z-Wave devices on the hub that are shared with Brightswitch will be available on the Brightswitch Wi-Fi network.

Comment

If it can be used as a local browser and a z-wave switch then I think it will be a great addition to any setup.

Comment

If it can be used as a local browser and a z-wave switch then I think it will be a great addition to any setup.
          I am not sure what you are referring to "As a browser" ?

You can access the Android OS from the Bright Switch app. and use the play store. It is running 4.4 KitKat. HSTouch loaded just fine as did the Sonos app. I mention the Sonos app because that app doesn't play nice on a lot of Android devices.

As far as Z-Wave goes, the switch wants to be a controller not a device. At least that's what I see so far, but I do not use Z-Wave for much, only door lock support. I also haven't spent more then 5 min with the Z-Wave side of it.

I plan on using it as a controller and not even use it to control a light directly, unless the Z-Wave aspect will work.
          -Skybolt

Comment

Sorry about the browser comment - I use Allonis for my touchscreens and all I need is chrome or another browser running on the device - so it looks like it will accommodate this. Just have to design the screens for this form factor.

I am assuming that this switch is designed to be installed over a standard gang switch and attaching the load for local control? I couldn't find any manuals on their site. If this is the case, then some sort of connection to homeseer would presumably be needed in order for homeseer to know that the switch is on/off and to control it remotely?

Comment

... I am assuming that this switch is designed to be installed over a standard gang switch and attaching the load for local control? I couldn't find any manuals on their site. If this is the case, then some sort of connection to homeseer would presumably be needed in order for homeseer to know that the switch is on/off and to control it remotely?
              Yes, a single gang standard switch body, much like SmartHome's Insteon switch base is. Then the display is plugged into that and yes there is Line and Load connections to the base with screws no wires. The only thing is that the cove plate is quite large and you will need wall space to make this fit correctly.

There is a "?" in the lower left of there app, bad pic, but you might be able to see it in the above pic. Press that will will bring you to an online manual. The switch comes with a quick start guide to install the switch. Pretty basic stuff, there were no surprises and it just worked. I wired in a plug to the back of it to play around with it, expecting to have to spend some time getting it set up. Except for the Z-Wave, I was done in five minutes.

I am going to try the z-wave out again later this week/weekend if there's time. I am planning to install the switch in my kitchen running HSTouch with the default app on it for now. Might get to it tonight.
              -Skybolt

Comment

Sorry about the browser comment - I use Allonis for my touchscreens and all I need is chrome or another browser running on the device - so it looks like it will accommodate this. Just have to design the screens for this form factor.

I am assuming that this switch is designed to be installed over a standard gang switch and attaching the load for local control? I couldn't find any manuals on their site. If this is the case, then some sort of connection to homeseer would presumably be needed in order for homeseer to know that the switch is on/off and to control it remotely?
                It replaces a standard switch and it each switch is a z-wave dimmer as well as a controller (controlling up to 5 other devices independently).

They are also going to have an open API. It is my hopes that the open API will give access to the other sensors in the switches such as the motion sensor*. In addition there is a camera in them as well, so I"m hoping the API will give access to that.

I've already emailed them about the API (months ago) so that when it comes out I can get the documentation and write a plugin to access the devices through that as well as over Z-wave.

*It was honestly my hope, and maybe this is still the case, that those sensors are available over z-wave as well. I mentioned this to them before as I was backer on their original crowdfunding for them.

Comment

I couldn't find any manuals on their site.
                  I just found this today, so haven't read through it all yet, but I hope it has lots of goodies on the API (if it's out yet) and the use of the device:

https://www.getbrightswitch.com/user...%3D%3D&mw=MjYw

Comment

Anyone have additional experience with either Brilliant or Brightswitch? From what I read on the Smartthings forum, Brilliant can command smartthing devices but Smartthing cannot control brilliant devices... not desirable for control from HS.

Comment

So I started to get a few of these in the house, the integrations are fairly limited, lighting is primarily Hue. I have a mix of Hue and Tuya bulbs, so I'm developing a plugin which simulates a HueHub. This allows me to control my Tuya bulbs via the Brilliant (the Brilliant just sees the plugin as any other hub on the network). Has anyone else purchased these, I would ideally like to find some beta testers for this. PM me if so, and thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by bsobel View Post
                        So I started to get a few of these in the house, the integrations are fairly limited, lighting is primarily Hue. I have a mix of Hue and Tuya bulbs, so I'm developing a plugin which simulates a HueHub. This allows me to control my Tuya bulbs via the Brilliant (the Brilliant just sees the plugin as any other hub on the network). Has anyone else purchased these, I would ideally like to find some beta testers for this. PM me if so, and thanks.
                        Bumping this as still looking for testers.

Comment

Did you create another plugin ? like cps fakehue ( or wtv name) ?

I can test the plugin, but not the screen.

Comment

I have a question :

• Amazon Alexa is built-in allowing you to free up your countertops and desktops
                            How is it compared to a echo dot? Does it use the ''echo spatial perception'' too?

Comment

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post
                              I have a question :

How is it compared to a echo dot? Does it use the ''echo spatial perception'' too?
                              Probably the same as other "built-in" solutions like the Sonos One, you can talk to Alexa, but won't get full Echo features. Like messaging and drop in.
                              HS3 SEL running Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 on Ubuntu 18.04, mono 5.20, 656 devices, 209 events.
                              Plug-Ins: Chromecast, Device History, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, JowiHue, LutronCaseta, MeiUnifi, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, SDJ-Health, Sonos, WeatherFlow, weatherXML
                              Scripts: SparkMan's Lock Event, 5 of Jon00 scripts.

Comment

So you can control light switches and connect them to the hs z wave network and run HStouch off it?

Comment

Working...
                                X