Dehumidifier for Server Room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So we have a client that wants the following: Turn on a dehumidifier inside his server room if the temperature drops below X degrees, and if it goes up to a certain degree, trigger a siren.

Pretty basic programming, but I've never worked with dehumidifiers before.

Any recommendations on what to get?

Off-hand, you could get one and use a Z-Wave appliance module to turn it on/off.

Make sure that you get a dehumidifier that remembers it's state if turned off. I have some air purifiers that I turn on/off but when power is reapplied, they require a physical button to be pressed on the unit. Kinda defeats the purpose of having them automated
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Agreed, you need to find a dehumidifier that is low tech or with a switch you could hard hard close the switch circuit.

Then you need a multi-sensor with temperature detection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the replies fellas.

What about one that included a IR Remote Control? Is that a thing?

Comment

Originally posted by dchramcow View Post
          Thanks for the replies fellas.

What about one that included a IR Remote Control? Is that a thing?

That might work there is a network attached irblaster. If you used an Aeotech you could likely determine whether it is standby or running based on draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Typically and depending on the size of the server room a CRAC (computer room air conditioning) should handle humidity levels.

Last one installed here was a Liebert CRAC device with a little web based module that I could monitor functioning remotely.

I also added a server room monitoring box which had CCTV, temperature, humidity, water sensors....

I did have a look at different communication / server rooms near you David on site visits many years ago.

In the EU I saw many smaller for small server rooms CRAC units on wheels. It was very popular in the middle 2000's.

Best equipped server rooms were that of Ipsat many many years ago. HQ was based in Buenos Aires, Argentina with co locations throughout all of South America.

Mostly then it was related to satellite communications with a migration towards fiber.

It was sold and now I see that it is back as Impsat Fiber Networks, LLC.

That said ask for a tour of local facilities and see what they use today relating to server rooms and CRAC units.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by dchramcow View Post
              So we have a client that wants the following: Turn on a dehumidifier inside his server room if the temperature drops below X degrees. . .
              There is a crucial bit of information missing, I think. The easiest way to express it is, "Why?"
              I surmise that if the temperature is below the specified threshold there is concern that the AC is no longer controlling humidity, but that's just a guess. If that is the case, why not just install a (redundant) dehumidifier with a standard built-in humidistat? Set the humidistat on the humidifier to the desired level and use it to augment the HVAC system. Normally, the AC will control the humidity, but when it doesn't the humidifier will kick on autonomously. No programming required.

(I'm assuming the bit about the siren is readily doable.)
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
              X