This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by adamgreenberg View Post
    ... Does the hub get around the problem of something causing noise on the wires?
    Definitely not.

But, depending on your requirements, it may be a better choice. Having the possibility to interface the hub via IP can be a benefit especially if you're into more technical home automation.

The serial PLM is said to be faster in treating requests and responses.

Comment

the hub will not fix the noise issue; it still uses the powerline as well as RF. Unfortunately There is no way to get insteon to only use RF.

the 'new' plm you got is actual rather old from a hw ver standpoint.

you need to find the noisy devices and put noise filters on them. Or just buy some noise filters, and put them on typically noisy devices: UPSs, any AC adapter, etc.
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

My working theory is that it could be either my air conditioner or the air handler. My Homeseer and PLM is in my furnace room. The outlet that it is plugged into is right near the air handler. I did a comm test and it worked fine his morning and then I realized that the air conditioner was off. I turned the air conditioner on and then then a few mins later the comm test failed. I turned the air conditioner off, did a reset of the PLM and the comm test worked fine. Problem is I just restarted the AC and the comm test is still working (3 of 4 pings were received).

Assuming it is my AC/Furnace, how can the noise be filtered from something like this? What specifically do I buy, where do I put it?

Is moving my HS3 and PLM to somewhere else in the house a potential alternate solution?

Comment

I have the same setup. But the plm is plugged into a dedicated circuit. I don't have any filters on the hvac.

Run an extension cord from the plm to another outlet and retest
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

ok. so this is promising.

I plugged the PLM into an extension chord and ran that to another outlet on a different breaker and everything seems to be working so far. My HVAC has been running and the communication is just fine.

I've added back my other devices and the communications appear to be stable. It's been about 6 hours.

I thought these PLMs need to be plugged directly into the wall... can they be permanently plugged into an extension chord or a power bar?

I guess I now need to solve a different problem which is how to plug my PLM in somewhere else not near my homeseer CPU and still run the serial connection OR move the homeseer and plm setup somewhere else (not ideal) OR try the hub which can be located anywhere.

Comment

for a 2413s, you can extend the serial connection from the hs server to the plm via a long cat5 line. I've done this in the past to locate the plm away from the hs server.

I would suggest locating the plm close to the service panel on an dedicated circuit. This ensures the best powerline signal across the network.

the plm can be plugged into a power bar or extension cord as long as there is no surge suppression or noise suppression in either.
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Thanks everyone (especially Mark) for your support on this.

I think the problem is now resolved!

Comment

just for closure, what was your solution?
                  Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

On the opposite side of my furnace room is a different set of plugs. I only had one thing plugged in to the top plug. I added a 3 outlet tap and put the PLM there.

Comment

Working...
                    X