ZMC v4 - Whole house audio for HS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AshaiRey View Post
    Thanks for this feedback. I really appreciatie it.

With 'it's heard the Attention Phrase quite often' do you mean that VR is triggered often?

If that's the case you can try to
    - Lower mic sensitivity
    - Choose a different attention phrase
    - Use a longer attention phrase
    Yes VR is triggered often even though the attention phrase hasn't been said and sometimes I can just be sitting in the kitchen on computer not saying anything and no one else in the house and it triggers!

I haven't had much time these last couple of weeks but I'll try some changes/tweaks when I can.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

A big help in reducing this is to listen to what is going into the PC Mic input.
      I have for that a very long cable with a female jackplug on one side. In it i plug my headphones and the other side i connect to the XAP output that goes to the PC Mic IN. The cable is long enough to get to each part of the house where i have a mic. You will be amazed what you can hear at different location without lag or anything else what you will get when using a remote connection and a laptop. But you can use the laptop to make changes on the fly and hear the result of it. This is also the prevert way to check how well echo cancelling and removing other sound sources work.

The sound to PC Mic IN doesn't have to be loud but it should be crisp and clear. If so then even wisphering in (canceled out) background noise can trigger your system. e.g. The VU gauges don't have to be in orange. Half way the green is also oke.
      - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
      HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
      PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

Originally posted by LeoS View Post
        This time I tried Shure MX391 (they retail for $250, but you can pick them up on Ebay for less than $50 used) and it works wonderfully. I could lower the mic volume and gain and it still picks up normal level speech. (There's also Shure MX392 and MX393 that is the same type, but newer version I guess).
        Hello Leo, thanks for the lead on the Shure mics. Talked to them and have narrowed down my selection to either the 392 or 393 (depending on what's on sale), but want to ask you couple questions regarding placement and mic config.

* Which mic config are u using? (Cardioid, Supercardioid, Omnidirectional)

** Where have you placed the mic and how large is the room? (Is it placed in center of room, along a wall, ceiling, etc)

*** How are you powering this mic?

**** What type of cable are you using and its length to connect it back to the XAP's? (Curious if its picking up noise at all)

Thanks for the insight.

Sent from my HTC One max using Tapatalk
        HSPro: 3.0.0.194
        PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
        HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Good Stuff!!!!
          HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieWayne View Post
            Hello Leo, thanks for the lead on the Shure mics. Talked to them and have narrowed down my selection to either the 392 or 393 (depending on what's on sale), but want to ask you couple questions regarding placement and mic config.

* Which mic config are u using? (Cardioid, Supercardioid, Omnidirectional)

** Where have you placed the mic and how large is the room? (Is it placed in center of room, along a wall, ceiling, etc)

*** How are you powering this mic?

**** What type of cable are you using and its length to connect it back to the XAP's? (Curious if its picking up noise at all)

Thanks for the insight.
            Hey, I'm glad someone has found the tidbit useful

My first one was a secondhand 391 cardiod for $30+ or so.. then I bought a couple more new-old-stock 391 cardioid for $40 or so.

For the test, I just left it hanging from the ceiling (i have 2 level ceilings, for indirect lights). It doesn't have any mounting mechanism, so I'm just gonna double tape it, or maybe put padded velcro or some such.

The room that I'm testing it in is about 16x22ft, and I placed the mic on the side (about 2ft away from wall, just hanging from the plaster lower ceiling at about 10ft up) about the middle of the room. I tested it from across the room (about 15ft away) where my computer is.

Powered by XAP800's phantom power.

I use cat6 cable, terminated with XLR female jack.. only about 25' run. No noise.
            HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

For those who can't read between the lines. Leos mentioned a very good behavior here.
              Don't make the mic location or orientation permanent at the first try but try different locations and orientations. Experiment with it and do it for at least a week before even thinking to make them permanent.

The orientation en location can solve a lot of problems you might get due to feedback of the speakers and sensitivity
              - Bram

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
              HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
              PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

Thanks alot Leo for your feedback on these Mics.

I compared the product manuals of 391, 392, & 393 and noticed the 392 had features such as LED control and mic state/status reporting. With a call to Shure and talking to engineering Dept, they confirmed my question that the 393 has the same board inside with the connections for the 392 Mic & Led I/O. The makes the only difference between the 392 & 393 the cord, and being the 393 uses a XLR connector that doesn't support the extra wires for the I/O.

Long story short, if you want to use the Mic & LED I/O on the 393, you will have to drill through the case and run your own wires such as CAT6.

The 391as you have does not allow mic switching or reporting at the mic itself.

Last edited by CharlieWayne; November 3, 2015, 05:23 PM.
                PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
                HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Question for Bram,

Was looking at both the software side of GPIO in G-Ware and the DB25 connector. Would like to implement controls to power my amps On/Off when the gate for that output is On/Off.

Also would like to use the GPIO to report status of the mics.

Page 78 & 88 discuss the use of GPIO, but I'm not understanding if its serial commands that are the trigger for the GPIO once it's configured.

Also would it be implementable to make HS devices for devices controlled thru the GPIO?

Here's the juicy details straight from the Xap800 manual.

""The inputs on these connectors are internally pulled high and are activated by connecting the pin to ground. The outputs are open collectors, which are open when inactive and grounded when active.This allows the XAP 800 to control and be controlled by a wide variety of external devices, including relays, lamps, switches, and other equipment. Control pins on Control/Status A are momentary while control pins on Control/Status B are latching.""

Obviously the Amps will be thru the second DB25 connector and Mic reporting thru the first DB25.

What's your thoughts on the above.

Comment

Question for Bram,

78 & 88 discuss the use of GPIO, but I'm not understanding if its serial commands that are the trigger for the GPIO once it's configured.
                    It can be both and it depends on your configuration. The psr file you got is configured to work with macro's. Also a few pins are freely programmable and the others are reserved pins for specific functions.

Also would it be implementable to make HS devices for devices controlled thru the GPIO?
                    Yes, it is possible. I used it for a while to send the state of the pins for the mics to an Arduino. The Arduino then was used to send the info back into HS. The reason why i did it like this is because the pin that signaled an active gate just gave a pulse and didn't latched. The arduino would pick up the pulse and took care of it. If not you miss some of the pulses due to serial communication. In the end i removed this again because for me it wasn't reliable enough

Here's the juicy details straight from the Xap800 manual.

""The inputs on these connectors are internally pulled high and are activated by connecting the pin to ground. The outputs are open collectors, which are open when inactive and grounded when active.This allows the XAP 800 to control and be controlled by a wide variety of external devices, including relays, lamps, switches, and other equipment. Control pins on Control/Status A are momentary while control pins on Control/Status B are latching.""

Obviously the Amps will be thru the second DB25 connector and Mic reporting thru the first DB25.

What's your thoughts on the above.
                    I wouldn't let the XAP switch the amps because they are used also for music, or at least i think so. Just add an extra event to do that for you.
                    - Bram

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534

Comment

Originally posted by AshaiRey View Post
                      For those who can't read between the lines. Leos mentioned a very good behavior here....
                      It all stemmed from our natural fear of commitments

I compared the product manuals of 391, 392, & 393 and noticed the 392 had features such as LED control and mic state/status reporting.

Long story short, if you want to use the Mic & LED I/O on the 393, you will have to drill through the case and run your own wires such as CAT6.

The 391as you have does not allow mic switching or reporting at the mic itself.
                      I didn't know that was a thing! I am littering my rooms with Phillips Hue housed in Ikea Gavik or some other non descript table lamps to do system status/notifications. I thought I'd do it through these... ah well.

Another reason that I went with the 391 is that they come in off white (case and cable), so I don't have to recolor them to fit in... wish I knew about status reporting + LED back then
                      HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Comment

I've bought 2pcs of MX393 & 3pcs of the MX392. All should be delivered in the next week or two but were so busy with work I won't be home until Dec sometime.

Been thinking I might also buy a couple MX391 as well as the mic is fixed on and theres no reason for mic swithing or privacy in common areas like the garage, kitchen, living room, front entry etc...

The switchable Mics such as the MX392 & MX393 will be better suited for privacy in the bedrooms, bathrooms, or area's where people wear tin foil hats!

Status Reporting of mic state OR Mic control is one or the other from my understanding talking to Shure. Theres pros and cons to both.

If the mic is controlled by Homeseer then automation events can be used to control the mic state on/off, but the button on the mic becomes inactive and will require the end user to use a touch screen to control the mic. Remote control might be more appealing in rooms where children area for monitoring aspects.

If the mic is controlled local and the status is signaled back the HS, then you might could use the mic state as a condition within your events or to send notifications that the mic has been or is off. Of course the Con to this is the device would have to be controlled local to change its state.

With my install and set up, I now have more than enough amps and Mics to get 5 rooms complete. Just need the time at home to get things done. As I'm installing I will take pictures and share my thoughts of the products I've tried.

Charlie.

Comment

@CharlieWayne: Ahhh, thanks for all the info. I'm not sure how useful the buttons are... mine are mostly mounted near the ceilings (easier wiring for me, walls are concrete) and easy to hide too (plenty of drop ceilings) so they're out of reach.

Comment

I'm seeing Shure MX393 Mics now for as low as $20 including shipping if anyone was thinking about trying them.

Comment

Just re-opening this old thread to keep info together.
                              I found out that using VoxCommando as VR client is an excellent choice when using is with ZMC. It supports about 20 languages and can control many applications. I managed to control HS via regulair HTTP calls on its webserver, using tenHsServer or and by using a vbscript that does the HS actions.

I've added a fed screenshots and the vbscript that i uses a proof of concept. While this was done for HS2 it just as easily can be done with HS3!

When i say "Attention in then livingroom" i activate a device in HS to notify that i want to do VR. The value that will be put into this device is 2 as this is the ID that i gave to the livingroom. ZMC will handle everything else.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	VC1.png
Views:	1
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	1187724

Using tenHsServer
                              Action is to start an event called "Vertel de tijd" that will tell the time in Dutch
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	VC2.png
Views:	1
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	1187725

The vbs script i used to test this concept
                              AZ_VoxCommando.txt
                              - Bram

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534

Comment

Just commenting here as I finally had time to hook up my XAP800 ($20CAD ebay) and four small Yamaha bookshelf speakers ($10CAD Kijiji) in my office....wow is this script ever insane. I still have a few questions, but will ask them after I spend a bit more time playing around with it a bit. Hard to believe the wire is going to cost more than the XAP and the speakers...

I am wiring for VR but won't dabble in that until I get the audio output working the way I want first. Still need to pick up a USB-audio "card" for the speech announcements, but I did pick up Google Chromecast Audio to tie into another input so I can control audio from our phones/tablets via Plex (which we use to manage all our audio/video).

Comment

Working...
                                X