www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Irrigation Plug-ins > Irrigation Discussion

Irrigation Discussion Discussion of irrigation integration with HomeSeer systems.

Old October 15th, 2014, 09:29 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankc View Post
Yes. Those calculations are still there. That is the only way I have to get cloudcover. I've looked and can't find a station nearby that has the information available realtime. The K-state station nearby delays their report by a day or so and even then, the page can't be scraped automatically. Maybe you are suggesting you would have to scrape the report to get the info. I have read on the WU site about people who are measuring that info, but the info is not reported.

Would you give an example to me of a site that has that?
I'd be happy to: http://www.wunderground.com/personal...USTI29#history
Old October 15th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Seer Master

That weather station even has its own website (http://epicweatheraustin.com/wxindex.php), and I notice that weather station's software is a package called "Weather Display": http://www.weather-display.com/wdl/features.shtml

I see from reading the Weather Display feature list that one of Weather Display's recent new features is the ability to compute ET: "•New:Now calculates evapotranspiration rate (Kimberly -Penman equations) for stations with solar readings. " If it would be helpful to your efforts, I could try contacting the weather station owner to see if he would be willing to switch on that ET calculation in his Weather Display software and datalog the ET to his weather station's website, just as is already being done with the raw weather data as his weather station collects it. i.e. by adding a (presumably vetted) ET calc to the dataset to the website's datalog, perhaps it would aid in the validation of David's and your python implementation of the Kimberlly-Penman equations---that is, if they are the very same equations as what you and David have implemented. On the other hand, if you think the datastreams you can already access are sufficient for that purpose, then that would be great also. You seem to be making speedy progress, and so my understanding as to the current status of validation efforts (such as suggested by Mark42 above) is undoubtedly lagging.

Last edited by NeverDie; October 15th, 2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old October 15th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverDie View Post
If it would be helpful to your efforts, I could try contacting the weather station owner to see if he would be willing to switch on that ET calculation
Any data we can get to further verify the results, would be great. Right now, the script considers everything considerable :-) But a correction factor has to be applied. I want to continue fighting this thing until I understand why a correction is required. Dave has suggested we are using the wrong Solar Radiation factor. And indeed if the other one is used, the results are very close with no correction. But I would like to make sure that is correct. As you can understand, no one wants unhappy grass.

So, I am continuing to try different ways to test the script, but raw data to do so is hard to come by because, the solar radiation readings always include cloudcover effect. With no indication of how much that effect is.

Another issue is that the formula used by the script is Penman Montieth. I have no idea what the difference is between that one and the one you stated. But I know that the Penman Montieth is what is used by the colleges and seems to be the standard.
Old October 15th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverDie View Post

They have downloadable solar radiation readings available ! that is perfect. I would like to find something similar near here.
Old October 15th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
They have downloadable solar radiation readings available ! that is perfect. I would like to find something similar near here.
Exactly. I'm glad you're elated, because I just now sent an email to the owner asking if he would be willing to activate the ET calc in his software so that it will display on his website alongside the rest of his weather station's measurements. I'll let you know if/when I hear anything back. If my email to him gets lost in the blizzard of emails we all get these days, I'm optimistic I can still find another way to contact him. Meanwhile, I remain hopeful that we'll hear back from him soon.

Last edited by NeverDie; October 15th, 2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old October 15th, 2014, 02:32 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyjee View Post
No there is actually a watering factor in OpenSprinkler which will cut times down based on a percentage. It's not being used in the plugin at the moment but I may add it next time I sit down with it.
You can adjust this in the OpenSprinkler options page.

Or via HS script hs.GetURL(your_OS_ip_address, "/co?pw=OS_password&o23=XXX", True, you_OS_ip_port), where XXX sets the length each zone will run by percentage.

ex. hs.GetURL(192.168.1.254, "/co?pw=qwerty&o23=90", True, 80)

This would cut each zone's watering time to 90% of what is programmed, 15 minutes becomes 13.5 minutes
Old October 15th, 2014, 07:44 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbtex View Post
Or via HS script hs.GetURL(your_OS_ip_address, "/co?pw=OS_password&o23=XXX", True, you_OS_ip_port), where XXX sets the length each zone will run by percentage.

ex. hs.GetURL(192.168.1.254, "/co?pw=qwerty&o23=90", True, 80)

This would cut each zone's watering time to 90% of what is programmed, 15 minutes becomes 13.5 minutes
Awesome. I'm going to add this in.

How did you find these commands out? I googled and googled and only found a sheet showing simple commands (the ones I had in the first version). Do you also know the command to read back what watering percentage has been set? Or is that a "webscrape" like all the other status?

A single device with watering percentage will give the guys above what they would want if they ever chose to go with OpenSprinkler.
Old October 15th, 2014, 08:09 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Awesome. I'm going to add this in.

How did you find these commands out? I googled and googled and only found a sheet showing simple commands (the ones I had in the first version). Do you also know the command to read back what watering percentage has been set? Or is that a "webscrape" like all the other status?

A single device with watering percentage will give the guys above what they would want if they ever chose to go with OpenSprinkler.
I don't know of any way to get data except "webscraping."

All the HTTPGET commands I have found are here: http://rayshobby.net/wordpress/wp-co...ETcommands.pdf

Also, when I have some time I'm going to try to add a function to each of the Program devices that would allow the user to manually run a Program. For example, the HS device Program 1 would have a button in Device Management label "Run Now." This button would create an OpenSprinkler "Run Once" program based on the parameters of Program 1. Only thing is, I don't know when I'll ever have time to work on it.
Old October 16th, 2014, 09:50 AM
Seer Deluxe

Maybe don't have to scrape ?

Quote:
I don't know of any way to get data except "webscraping."
WeatherUnderground data pages use JSON and XML formats to make past and current weather data available for download. This assumes the data you are interested in is available within the WU pages. Really no need to do any scraping. Although it depends upon what you are looking for. And NeverDie just discovered that some pages have solar radiation available. I found one such site about 8 miles from here. Problem is 90%+ of the WU sites do not make solar radiation measurements.

Our efforts have been to determine ET without the benefit of actual solar radiation data.

The percentage idea is perfect! It does mean that each zone will be cut down linearly in time. I suppose that would mean that a zone with already minimal irrigation, would be fine with the same percentage decrease as the others.
Old October 16th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
WeatherUnderground data pages use JSON and XML formats to make past and current weather data available for download. This assumes the data you are interested in is available within the WU pages. Really no need to do any scraping. Although it depends upon what you are looking for. And NeverDie just discovered that some pages have solar radiation available. I found one such site about 8 miles from here. Problem is 90%+ of the WU sites do not make solar radiation measurements.

Our efforts have been to determine ET without the benefit of actual solar radiation data.

The percentage idea is perfect! It does mean that each zone will be cut down linearly in time. I suppose that would mean that a zone with already minimal irrigation, would be fine with the same percentage decrease as the others.
My reference was to the OpenSprinkler data. The plug in scrapes the OS web interface to get status, etc.
Old October 16th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Seer Deluxe

I haven't been following the ET discussion, but have you guys seen this: RainBird ET Irrigation Scheduling
Old October 18th, 2014, 12:47 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
I haven't been following the ET discussion, but have you guys seen this: RainBird ET Irrigation Scheduling
Interesting. I am glad Rain Bird is making an effort to help people control the amount of water they are using. It appears their system isn't sophisticated enough to calculate on a daily basis how much to use. But rather uses a seasonal amount to help. Sounds fine. I would wager that we will see a stepped up rate of using ET in most brands of sprinkler controllers. It's just too easy and beneficial to use ET.

A friend of mine is fixin to buy the OpenSprinkler controller. But he needs 9 zones and tells me the controller is only good for 8. Assuming this is correct, what should he do?
Old October 18th, 2014, 01:37 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
A friend of mine is fixin to buy the OpenSprinkler controller. But he needs 9 zones and tells me the controller is only good for 8. Assuming this is correct, what should he do?
Buy an expansion board. They are good for up to 32 zones I think.
Old October 18th, 2014, 04:19 AM
Seer Deluxe

I've just made enhancements to the OpenSprinkler Plugin.

Version 1.0.2.0
- Added new device called "Watering Percent" which adjusts every schedule duration by the percentage.

I haven't loaded it up yet because I'm half way through version 1.0.3.0 which will add the ability to set the duration for each program via the plugin interface.

For the ET conscious guys, your ET calculation scripts then just need to write to the device for program zone durations. I will post up more info when I'm finished.

Cheers.
Matt.

ps. It sure helps when you don't have to delete your devices each time there is an update... (an earlier bug-fix I made).
Old October 18th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Buy an expansion board. They are good for up to 32 zones I think.
Do you know whether the expansion board is a Raspberry Pi? I mentioned your response to him and he said he could do that.
Old October 18th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Added new device called "Watering Percent" which adjusts every schedule duration by the percentage.

For the ET conscious guys, your ET calculation scripts then just need to write to the device for program zone durations. I will post up more info when I'm finished.
Great work MattyJee! Lots of people will appreciate your efforts. jbbtex's link posted above mentioned RainBird's ET efforts to use the percentage technique too. I had originally written my script to return a 'watering ratio' to an HS virtual device. I figured a plugin like yours would then look at that virtual device to obtain its ratio before actually controlling the sprinklers. But then I changed the output of the script to select one of ten pre-written schedules. The percentage calculation can be put back in easily.
Old October 18th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Seer Deluxe

Expansion zone is purchased from the supplier of the main Opensprinkler controller http://rayshobby.net/cart/osexp

Anyway, I've finished my work on Version 1.0.3.0

You have choice of watering ratio for all zones, or you can set the watering time for each program individually. I'm going to leave that for people to do outside of the plugin, it is easy enough with custom script. For example, to set the watering time of Program 5 to 11 minutes you simply include the single line
hs.setdevicevalue("OS-Program5", 11)
Or to set watering ratio to 90% you would use
hs.setdevicevalue("OS-Water%", 95).

Refer to first post of this thread for release notes, executable, and source code.

Cheers.
Matt.
Old October 18th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
They have downloadable solar radiation readings available
I heard back from the website owner. He says he's using WeatherCat software from Trixology to post info to the website, and he believes it is based on Weather Display. Apparently that software constellation is such that it's not immediately obvious how to configure the display of ET data, but he says it's something he would like to look into in the near future. I suppose if anyone here happened to know which software levers to pull, it might speed up the process.
Old October 26th, 2014, 06:24 AM
Seer Deluxe

New version 1.0.4.0 fixes a major bug in the last version. Also added in some hardcore debugging capabilities.
Old October 26th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Seer Deluxe

OpenSprinkler firmware version 2.1.0 has been released

Now has integrated weather control using WU data.

OpenSprinkler 2.1.0

API documentation