Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HomeSeer is now available under Home Control in the Google Home App!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeSeer is now available under Home Control in the Google Home App!

[UPDATE 1/18/18] Added support for door locks, you can now lock and unlock locks. Thermostats are fully supported.

Note:

With door locks you will need to edit the lock device, Status/Graphics tab and make sure the lock and unlock device have the "Control Use" setting set to "Door Lock" and "Door Unlock"

We have finished testing and all looks ok. To get HomeSeer working with Google Home:

1) Make sure you have HS3 version 3.0.0.326 or later. Beta build 3.0.0.340 is available here:

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=181241

Note that build 340 has HSTouch built into HS3 and is a major change. If you do not want to update to build 340, you can update to build 3.0.0.326, Windows version is here:

https://homeseer.com/updates3/SetupHS3_3_0_0_326.msi

Linux versions are available, use build #326

Make sure you have a valid MyHS account and your login is linked to one system.

Use the Google Home app, select "Home Control" from the hamburger menu, then the "+" button, then select "HomeSeer". A login prompt will appear, use your MyHS login credentials to link your MyHS account with Google. If this succeeds you should see your devices in the list. Only devices that you have enabled for voice control will appear in the list.

If you want to add or remove devices, click on "HomeSeer" and unlink, then link again. This is the only way to sync your devices with Google.

You can now control any device that supports ON, OFF, Dim, or color selection like:

"Ok Google, turn off the light"
    "Ok, Google, set the light to fifty percent"
    "Ok, Google, set the color light to blue"
    Last edited by rjh; January 18, 2018, 04:12 PM.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

I got the error after I enter the homeseer username and password, could not update your settings.

Thanks,
    Aldo

Comment

Originally posted by aldo View Post
      I got the error after I enter the homeseer username and password, could not update your settings.

Thanks,
      Aldo
      What version of Homeseer are you using?

Comment

I'm going to tilt at this windmill again, Rich, and hopefully enough time has passed that you'll give it some more thought

The algorithm you use to decide on the device name is flawed. We really deserve the ability to control what it's called for voice use, or to at least control how the name is put together so that things have a consistent name. If Category 1 and Category 2 are "Floor" and "Room", then the device name shouldn't need to have either the Floor or the Room in it (and people wouldn't want it to, since you'd have to refer to it in scripts with double room names!).

I'd be perfectly satisfied with an option with a dropdown that included choices like "Minimal Naming Convention", "[Category 1] [Category 2] [Device Name]" (which would be flipped if you have that option set in the existing config), "[Category 1] [Device Name]", "[Category 2] [Device Name]".

Mostly I want consistency. I need to know whether to refer to "Living Room Lamp" vs. "Office Lamp" and not have to guess which one is just "Lamp".
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rmiles7721 View Post
          What version of Homeseer are you using?
          I installed 3.0.0.326. When I enter the user name and password, I see that I log in successfully but then I get the message mentioned below.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by aldo View Post
            I installed 3.0.0.326. When I enter the user name and password, I see that I log in successfully but then I get the message mentioned below.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
            Not sure then. I got the message but I had forgotten to update. I went ahead and loaded .340 though and haven't had any problems.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

"OK Google, I got the Homeseer plugin working tonight with Google Home"

If I were to get a Logitech Harmony hub and the Homeseer plugin for it, would I also be able to control IR devices like the stereo and TV using Google Home through Homeseer?

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by dilbert1 View Post
                "OK Google, I got the Homeseer plugin working tonight with Google Home"

If I were to get a Logitech Harmony hub and the Homeseer plugin for it, would I also be able to control IR devices like the stereo and TV using Google Home through Homeseer?

Jeff
                Probably using the action (not the API). You'd have to tell Google you want to talk to HomeSeer and ask it to do something that maps to a voice control phrase or event name.

Logitech has it's own action, so you can "ask Harmony to..." if you link that account.

Comment

Note that the action is no longer available. Google will not let developers have both the actions and smarthome stuff both enabled, only one, so we choose the SH API.

Originally posted by shill View Post
                  Probably using the action (not the API). You'd have to tell Google you want to talk to HomeSeer and ask it to do something that maps to a voice control phrase or event name.

Logitech has it's own action, so you can "ask Harmony to..." if you link that account.

Comment

I know, and part of the problem is that we have to report unique names or the API errors (need to check on that for Google, it does error for Amazon). So the only option is to allow you to set the voice command, and you would need to make sure each command is unique. Much work. But we will take a look at the options. I think its smart enough though that if we always return location 2-location 1-name, that you only need to say parts of it. Maybe that is a quick stopgap. I know Amazon can handle that.

However, if you have a Google Home in the kitchen, do you want to use your voice to control stuff in the bedroom? For me, I only enabled devices in the Google Home location. Going forward, I am hoping that the API expands so that we can be aware of the location the voice is coming from. So if you say "turn on the lights", it turns on the lights in the room you are in. This should be coming to Amazon soon, hopefully Google will follow. In this case, we can always report the room with the device name but we don't have to say the room name since we know where the user is speaking from.

I'm going to tilt at this windmill again, Rich, and hopefully enough time has passed that you'll give it some more thought

The algorithm you use to decide on the device name is flawed. We really deserve the ability to control what it's called for voice use, or to at least control how the name is put together so that things have a consistent name. If Category 1 and Category 2 are "Floor" and "Room", then the device name shouldn't need to have either the Floor or the Room in it (and people wouldn't want it to, since you'd have to refer to it in scripts with double room names!).

I'd be perfectly satisfied with an option with a dropdown that included choices like "Minimal Naming Convention", "[Category 1] [Category 2] [Device Name]" (which would be flipped if you have that option set in the existing config), "[Category 1] [Device Name]", "[Category 2] [Device Name]".

Mostly I want consistency. I need to know whether to refer to "Living Room Lamp" vs. "Office Lamp" and not have to guess which one is just "Lamp".

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                      I know, and part of the problem is that we have to report unique names or the API errors (need to check on that for Google, it does error for Amazon). So the only option is to allow you to set the voice command, and you would need to make sure each command is unique. Much work. But we will take a look at the options. I think its smart enough though that if we always return location 2-location 1-name, that you only need to say parts of it. Maybe that is a quick stopgap. I know Amazon can handle that.

However, if you have a Google Home in the kitchen, do you want to use your voice to control stuff in the bedroom? For me, I only enabled devices in the Google Home location. Going forward, I am hoping that the API expands so that we can be aware of the location the voice is coming from. So if you say "turn on the lights", it turns on the lights in the room you are in. This should be coming to Amazon soon, hopefully Google will follow. In this case, we can always report the room with the device name but we don't have to say the room name since we know where the user is speaking from.
                      I frequently control stuff all over the house by voice - setting up the media room before we go upstairs, turning off all the lights my kids left on upstairs, controlling devices in rooms where there isn't a Google Home (I don't have one in every room!), etc. And let's not focus on just the Google Home, since this is actually a Google Assistant thing - I can also just tell my watch or phone to turn on the devices I want, and that's with me in every room and isn't location aware!

Finally, I just tried to figure out which device is actually "Lamp" in the screenshot below, and when I tried to turn it on, it said "ok, turning on 12 devices" (everything with "lamp" in the name), so the current solution for your minimal naming convention isn't going to hold up I'd have to go through and give every device a unique descriptive name myself anyway...

Comment

So what your preference be? Would you be ok if we just named everything using location1 and location2? Or would you rather we add another text box in the device properties where you could enter the voice command you want to use?

The quickest solution that we can implement is to add location 1 and location 2 to the device name, as we can do that on the server, no update required. Looks like you proved that you do not have to say the full name if the part you speak is unique.

I frequently control stuff all over the house by voice - setting up the media room before we go upstairs, turning off all the lights my kids left on upstairs, controlling devices in rooms where there isn't a Google Home (I don't have one in every room!), etc. And let's not focus on just the Google Home, since this is actually a Google Assistant thing - I can also just tell my watch or phone to turn on the devices I want, and that's with me in every room and isn't location aware!

Finally, I just tried to figure out which device is actually "Lamp" in the screenshot below, and when I tried to turn it on, it said "ok, turning on 12 devices" (everything with "lamp" in the name), so the current solution for your minimal naming convention isn't going to hold up I'd have to go through and give every device a unique descriptive name myself anyway...

Comment

Got it to recognize my instance but now why didnt it assign rooms? how can I determine which ceiling lites are in which room? is just an example, many I cannot distinguish....

Comment

Now seems like a good time to get this flushed out before we have a ton of users on it!

So we made the change, it now reports location 2->location 1->Name for the name of the device. If you have swapped location 1/2, we do handle that by swapping them.

I tested it and I was able to control a device by just its name, if the name is unique. However, if you do have 2 devices with "Lamp" in their name, it will control both of them. This is different from Alexa where it will ask you which one you want to control.

To test this, you will need to unlink HS and link it back again.

Let me know how this works.

Comment

Google does not know rooms, just a device name. See my other post, we just made a change to always include the location with the name so you can find the device. You can use the nickname feature to change the name.

The Rooms in the Home app are there only for assigning devices to a room so you can say "ok google, turn off all the living room lights". It will then control all the lights in that room. Why they don't allow us to give them the room name, I don't know. It seems they modeled the API after some very simple controller that did not have any rooms.

Note, if you use the nickname feature, and want to add a device, you will need to unlink HS, link again, which will then get your newly added device. BUT, all your work with rooms and nicknames will be lost! Hopefully Google will be fixing this soon.

Originally posted by bahamabum View Post
                              Got it to recognize my instance but now why didnt it assign rooms? how can I determine which ceiling lites are in which room? is just an example, many I cannot distinguish....

Comment

Working...
                              X