www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Irrigation Plug-ins > Irrigation Discussion

Irrigation Discussion Discussion of irrigation integration with HomeSeer systems.

Old February 23rd, 2018, 02:13 PM
Seer Deluxe

Actually, yes - it would be nice to have a status for that program (active, etc.) - on my iPhone, there is a red banner that says watering is paused but digging deeper I am using month restrictions to not water during the winter months. I also turn off the program when the water lines get flushed out in the fall.

Don't think I will be doing much watering - we are having severe flooding here - worst since 1947 I am told - all the snow melted this week and several inches of rain to boot! Thankfully I am in a good place and not in the water but a good part of downtown Kalamazoo is not reachable by car!

Thanks for your help,
Old March 17th, 2018, 12:26 PM
Viewer

I just installed this plugin for a RainMachine (firmware:4.0.925) and it seems to be working. Nice plugin!! I did notice the following items.

- The on/off icon doesn't change when the sprinklers are turned on
- The RainMachine rows aren't grouped together on the "Home" page
Old May 10th, 2018, 06:32 PM
Seer

Is the Rain Machine plug-in a fully functional, supported plug-in? I am considering upgrading my sprinkler controller, and am looking at Rain Machine and Rachio. Both got good reviews on wirecutter.com, and HS integration would be nice.
Old May 10th, 2018, 06:47 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsharky View Post
Is the Rain Machine plug-in a fully functional, supported plug-in? I am considering upgrading my sprinkler controller, and am looking at Rain Machine and Rachio. Both got good reviews on wirecutter.com, and HS integration would be nice.
I don't know about fully function yet, but I am supporting it.

The main problem I have right now is that I have one of the original Rain Machines and there are some significant differences in the API between it and the new models making it difficult to add and test features that only the new models have.

I am curious to know what you'd want out of the integration with HS. Right now the plug-in will monitor the RM's state and does allow zones to be controlled (and programs to be started/stopped). It's always interesting to hear how others want to integrate things like this.
http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYInsteon/
Old May 14th, 2018, 11:16 AM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpwwer View Post
I don't know about fully function yet, but I am supporting it.

The main problem I have right now is that I have one of the original Rain Machines and there are some significant differences in the API between it and the new models making it difficult to add and test features that only the new models have.

I am curious to know what you'd want out of the integration with HS. Right now the plug-in will monitor the RM's state and does allow zones to be controlled (and programs to be started/stopped). It's always interesting to hear how others want to integrate things like this.

Most of the integration I can think of (and I haven't actually integrated a sprinkler controller yet) would be simple monitoring and on/off control. Other things might be turning on the lawn sprinklers when motion is detected in the middle of the night, or turning off the sprinklers when the weather forecast calls for wind. Maybe turning off the sprinklers when a car is pulling up the driveway.
Old May 14th, 2018, 12:43 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Most of the integration I can think of (and I haven't actually integrated a sprinkler controller yet) would be simple monitoring and on/off control. Other things might be turning on the lawn sprinklers when motion is detected in the middle of the night, or turning off the sprinklers when the weather forecast calls for wind. Maybe turning off the sprinklers when a car is pulling up the driveway.
Cool. That type of control/monitoring should be possible with the current plug-in.

The one issue with the RM is that you have to poll it for status which isn't ideal for monitoring. I'm currently polling it every 10 seconds to check on the zone/program status. My 1st gen hardware doesn't seem terribly powerful and I was concerned about placing too much load on it if I polled more frequently.

This could impact something like the motion detected case if the sprinklers just turned off and within the 10 second window, motion was detected then HS wouldn't realize it should turn them back on again. This might not be a bad thing since you probably don't want them turning off/on rapidly anyway.
Old May 14th, 2018, 01:24 PM
Seer

Quote:
Cool. That type of control/monitoring should be possible with the current plug-in.

The one issue with the RM is that you have to poll it for status which isn't ideal for monitoring. I'm currently polling it every 10 seconds to check on the zone/program status. My 1st gen hardware doesn't seem terribly powerful and I was concerned about placing too much load on it if I polled more frequently.

This could impact something like the motion detected case if the sprinklers just turned off and within the 10 second window, motion was detected then HS wouldn't realize it should turn them back on again. This might not be a bad thing since you probably don't want them turning off/on rapidly anyway.

Do you have other ideas for integration scenarios? What was your motivation in developing the plug-in?
Old May 14th, 2018, 02:24 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Do you have other ideas for integration scenarios? What was your motivation in developing the plug-in?
I'm mainly interested in monitoring the system. I've pretty much just left the RM to do its thing and I've been pretty happy with it.

My main motivation is that I enjoy writing and working on the plug-ins. Since there wasn't an existing plug-in for the RM, I figured I could write one.
Old May 14th, 2018, 02:26 PM
Seer

Quote:
I'm mainly interested in monitoring the system. I've pretty much just left the RM to do its thing and I've been pretty happy with it.

My main motivation is that I enjoy writing and working on the plug-ins. Since there wasn't an existing plug-in for the RM, I figured I could write one.

That's great. Could you work on one for the NuHeat floor heating thermostat?
Old May 14th, 2018, 04:46 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
That's great. Could you work on one for the NuHeat floor heating thermostat?
Do you want to send me one?

That's actually something I've been interested in but haven't been willing to purchase a new thermostat. Our heated floors were installed before these wi-fi controllable thermostats were available.

Looks like the NuHeat Signature thermostat can be accessed via a cloud service but they don't publish the API. There are a couple of people that seem to have reverse engineered it. So I'll actually think about it, but it's tough to test without having the hardware.
Old May 14th, 2018, 06:34 PM
Seer

Quote:
Do you want to send me one?

That's actually something I've been interested in but haven't been willing to purchase a new thermostat. Our heated floors were installed before these wi-fi controllable thermostats were available.

Looks like the NuHeat Signature thermostat can be accessed via a cloud service but they don't publish the API. There are a couple of people that seem to have reverse engineered it. So I'll actually think about it, but it's tough to test without having the hardware.

I'll send you a PM.
Old May 15th, 2018, 02:46 PM
Seer

Will the plugin work with Linux?

I just ordered a RainMachine Mini-8, 2nd gen. My OpenSprinkler stopped communicating suddenly (a constant ping is successful only for a few seconds per hour).

I decided on the RainMachine over the Rachio primarily due to Weather Underground support, and a neighbor's system is on that network. I don't feel like the new Rachio "hyperlocal" weather monitoring will be as good as a high quality weather station 4 doors down. I thought IFTTT and Alexa integration would be sufficient but was excited to see your plugin for RM as I'd love to continue to monitor via HS3.

I'm running the latest HS3 Pro on an RPi3 with Linux. Should your plugin support Linux?

Thanks for creating the plugin!
Ben
Old May 15th, 2018, 04:14 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by benposton View Post

I'm running the latest HS3 Pro on an RPi3 with Linux. Should your plugin support Linux?

Ben
Yes, it should work on Linux but I can't say that I've tested it on Linux. So let me know.
Old May 15th, 2018, 04:20 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
My OpenSprinkler stopped communicating suddenly (a constant ping is successful only for a few seconds per hour).

For my OpenSprinkler it would periodically lose comms for approx 20mins. This was happening about 8-10 times a day. They replaced it once for me but I still had the same problem. Eventually they confirmed try that the network stack and overall networking capabilities of the board are extremely limited and that it can get overloaded by general network broadcast traffic. A permanent ping of course is contributing to that. I have now put mine on a VLAN and restricted most traffic from going there. I have also turned off monitoring of the device with BLLAN and Jon00's RCCNM monitors and just leave the OS Plugin to monitor it. It is much better now, though still loses connectivity 1-2 times daily for ~8 mins.

All that said, losing connectivity doesn't affect the programmed runs, just the ability to control from HS3. I have a script that determines whether to water or not and that sets the rain delay. In my HS3 event I set the rain delay, then run it again 30 mins later to be sure.
Old May 25th, 2018, 03:39 AM
Seer

Quote:
I just ordered a RainMachine Mini-8, 2nd gen. My OpenSprinkler stopped communicating suddenly (a constant ping is successful only for a few seconds per hour).

I decided on the RainMachine over the Rachio primarily due to Weather Underground support, and a neighbor's system is on that network. I don't feel like the new Rachio "hyperlocal" weather monitoring will be as good as a high quality weather station 4 doors down. I thought IFTTT and Alexa integration would be sufficient but was excited to see your plugin for RM as I'd love to continue to monitor via HS3.

Ben

Ben--have you tried the new RainMachine? Integrated with HS3?
Old May 25th, 2018, 03:42 AM
Seer

Quote:

Bob--with the current state of your plugin, it sounds like basic control is all I would need. Does something like UltraJones' Rachio plug-in do anything more than your RainMachine plugin?
Old May 25th, 2018, 08:05 AM
Seer

Quote:
Ben--have you tried the new RainMachine? Integrated with HS3?
Yes, got the most recent Mini-8 (gen 2). Plugin install was easy enough and it created the devices just as expected. Working just fine!!

Thanks for creating this plugin!

Ben
Old May 25th, 2018, 12:26 PM
Seer

Quote:
Yes, got the most recent Mini-8 (gen 2). Plugin install was easy enough and it created the devices just as expected. Working just fine!!

Thanks for creating this plugin!

Ben

What sort of automations are you doing with HS3? Or just monitoring?
Old May 25th, 2018, 02:40 PM
Seer

Quote:
What sort of automations are you doing with HS3? Or just monitoring?
Just monitoring for now.
Old June 7th, 2018, 11:38 PM
Seer Deluxe

Hi,

I have the RainMachine plugin installed and it works fine through the HS3 web interface. I want to integrate it into my full irrigation system (part of which is controlled by another type of controller), so I'd like to write scripts to control the devices the plugin creates.

I'm not an expert at CAPI controls - I know how to turn things on and off, but the Rainmachine devices have more complicated control pairs for CAPI commands. Would it be possible for you to post a simple example of a CAPI command that would turn on a device named 'Zone 1' tor 10 minutes? I think I could figure out the rest on my own.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.