Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 Events--Trouble and Best Practices

Hi All,

Been using HS2 for many years, but only for basic stuff. I'd like to do more with HS3. Looks like I'm going to have to convert most of my X10 stuff to Z-Wave, but I'm OK with that.

I'm having some trouble with my first basic events. They just don't seem to RUN when I think they should. I also notice that there doesn't appear to be a SAVE button and I OFTEN find that my changes are not accepted.

So, first question, should the below event simply go off at 1:00am? So far, it hasn't (I've tried changing the time so I can watch it). No entry in Log, nothing!

Currently, there are no Group conditions or Group Actions. I'm thinking I don't understand these properly. I was hoping to set some Group Conditions so that my events would only run IF the Group Conditions were met (in addition to the individual event conditions). However, when I added a group condition, it told me that it was not applied to any events. I've taken it out for now.

Is there any further documentation on Events?
    Any suggestions as to why mine are not running?
    Is there a SAVE/DONE button?
    Attached Files

I will let others attempt to answer your questions, since I don't have good answers. I would ask why you think you need to switch from X-10 to Zwave. I am and planning on using both for many years. Just some applications where X-10 is better/easier.

Good luck,
    Barry

Comment

There is no Save/Done button. Changes are applied as they are made. The interface can be a bit sluggish at times, particularly if the system where the browser is running is busy. So you need to take your time and if the screen wants to readjust, wait for it. A good way to see if changes took effect is to collapse and expand the entry (trigger or action) that you are working on. If a trigger or action won't collapse, then there is something syntactically wrong with that entry, but there often is not an error message of any kind. There are also still some bugs. One that has been reported is the absolute time trigger. I have never had a problem with it, but others have.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by bdickhaus View Post
        There is no Save/Done button. Changes are applied as they are made. The interface can be a bit sluggish at times, particularly if the system where the browser is running is busy. So you need to take your time and if the screen wants to readjust, wait for it. A good way to see if changes took effect is to collapse and expand the entry (trigger or action) that you are working on. If a trigger or action won't collapse, then there is something syntactically wrong with that entry, but there often is not an error message of any kind. There are also still some bugs. One that has been reported is the absolute time trigger. I have never had a problem with it, but others have.

Bill
        This is the method I stumbled across
        Ubuntu on the Intel NUC ( 8i5BEK ), 32 G, 250G SSD, V4 Pro 😎

Comment

Originally posted by lhfarm View Post
          I will let others attempt to answer your questions, since I don't have good answers. I would ask why you think you need to switch from X-10 to Zwave. I am and planning on using both for many years. Just some applications where X-10 is better/easier.
          I guess if/when there is support for the PowerLink USB, I can continue to use my X10 devices. I'm not going to spend over $100 for a new X10 controller for only a few remaining devices. I also tend to prefer the ZWave devices so I can be sure of a device status. I tend to not trust my X10 devices.

Comment

Originally posted by bdickhaus View Post
            ...There are also still some bugs. One that has been reported is the absolute time trigger. I have never had a problem with it, but others have.
            I've confirmed this on two PCs (Win Server 2003 that has been running my HS2 for many years) as well as a fresh Win 7 system.

BOTH systems have issues running a script based on absolute time, sunset/sunrise and xx before/after sunrise/sunset. Is there anything I can do to help with this bug?

Comment

Originally posted by smilbert View Post
              I guess if/when there is support for the PowerLink USB, I can continue to use my X10 devices. I'm not going to spend over $100 for a new X10 controller for only a few remaining devices. I also tend to prefer the ZWave devices so I can be sure of a device status. I tend to not trust my X10 devices.
              I've been one of the lucky X-10 users. I live in the middle of a woods and have X-10 operating in multiple out buildings. Certainly understand not want to spend money on a new controller. While I've moved to Zwave for lighting and thermostats, I still have a heavy dependence on X-10. Just hoping it lasts a few more decades.

Barry

Comment

i also used the powerlinc usb 1132u for years in hs2... but i landed a deal in the FS section for $25 so I took the plunge to TI-103 and havent looked back. While I wont say it is better... it does work and is supported..

I would definitely look at picking up one if you are going to stay on HS3...

and for the keeping it cheap.. im realizing to go to HS3 you wont be keeping it cheap... you will have to save a bit here and there..

plugins seem to be coming in at about $40 each.. ughhhh so there is where the expensive part comes!!!! not for the x10 controller!!!!!
                HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Currently, there are no Group conditions or Group Actions. I'm thinking I don't understand these properly. I was hoping to set some Group Conditions so that my events would only run IF the Group Conditions were met (in addition to the individual event conditions). However, when I added a group condition, it told me that it was not applied to any events. I've taken it out for now.
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Nice job Mark!
                    Billy

Comment

Thank you! Exactly what I needed.
                      Just upgraded to 3.0.0.43...let's hope the events fire off now!

Comment

Hi All,

Been using HS2 for many years, but only for basic stuff. I'd like to do more with HS3. Looks like I'm going to have to convert most of my X10 stuff to Z-Wave, but I'm OK with that.

I'm having some trouble with my first basic events. They just don't seem to RUN when I think they should. I also notice that there doesn't appear to be a SAVE button and I OFTEN find that my changes are not accepted.

So, first question, should the below event simply go off at 1:00am? So far, it hasn't (I've tried changing the time so I can watch it). No entry in Log, nothing!

Is there any further documentation on Events?
                        Any suggestions as to why mine are not running?
                        Is there a SAVE/DONE button?

I am new to HS3 as well, and I have the same experience as you describe. Simple events not firing. Adjust the time, and wait for it to fire, and nothing.

What I have found, is the + & - expand/collaspe button, seems to be the edit/save button. Meaning, when the button is expanded, it is open for editing, and when it is collasped, it is saved. Further, I have found that if the event is open for editing, it will not fire off at the time you want.

For me, I was sitting there, with the expanded(edit) screen open, so I could adjust the time up a minute or so, and try again. It never seemed to work. But if I adjusted the time up a minute or so, and then collasped the event(save) and leave it collasped, the even would fire off on time as expected.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                        X