Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Wave In-wall Energy-reporting Outlet?

Guys!
    I have a bunch of the Aeon's new Gen 6 plugin receptacles, which report energy usage just beautifully. Unfortunately, in one location, I need a real outlet to do the same. I can't find anyone making something like that. Any advice would be much appreciated...

The only one I'm aware of is Enerwave:

http://www.amazon.com/Enerwave-ZW20R...nerwave+outlet

I believe that others are promised for 2016 (including GE/Jasco, and possibly Aeon), for now this is your only option.

Of course, it monitors energy usage only from the load plugged into the Z-Wave bottom outlet, not the load plugged into the always-on top outlet.

I also don't know how friendly it is with HS3 -- you may have to set up some parameters manually to get it to report the way you want to.

Comment

Originally posted by mikedr View Post
      The only one I'm aware of is Enerwave:

http://www.amazon.com/Enerwave-ZW20R...nerwave+outlet

I believe that others are promised for 2016 (including GE/Jasco, and possibly Aeon), for now this is your only option.

Of course, it monitors energy usage only from the load plugged into the Z-Wave bottom outlet, not the load plugged into the always-on top outlet.

I also don't know how friendly it is with HS3 -- you may have to set up some parameters manually to get it to report the way you want to.
      Darn. This seems to be exactly what i need, but can anyone verify that HS3 will work with this, especially in terms of energy reporting?

Comment

As an FYI, there's also a 15A version and if you're wiring is not rated for 20A, you should not be using the 20A version.

Cheers
        Al
        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
          As an FYI, there's also a 15A version and if you're wiring is not rated for 20A, you should not be using the 20A version.

Cheers
          Al
          Oh yeah! Just saw it. Knowing how painful Aeotec products can be (i.e. "parameters" need to be configured before energy use was being reported consistently and promptly on my plug-in outlets), I am still looking for anyone who uses this with Homeseer....

Comment

Amazon has a really liberal return policy. It may be worthwhile just to buy one and see if it works.

The parameters are well documented:
            http://enerwaveautomation.com/wp-con...W15RM-4.29.pdf

I had a Gen5 Aeon plug-in adapter that at the time HS3 didn't directly support -- in that under settings, there were no easy to set items for power reporting. But I was able to configure the parameters appropriately to get it to report power.

I suspect that this is what will happen with this device. Energy reporting is a supported Z-Wave function, so really it *should* just be a question of getting the parameters set right so that they report to HS3.

Comment

Originally posted by mikedr View Post
              Amazon has a really liberal return policy. It may be worthwhile just to buy one and see if it works.

The parameters are well documented:
              http://enerwaveautomation.com/wp-con...W15RM-4.29.pdf

I had a Gen5 Aeon plug-in adapter that at the time HS3 didn't directly support -- in that under settings, there were no easy to set items for power reporting. But I was able to configure the parameters appropriately to get it to report power.

I suspect that this is what will happen with this device. Energy reporting is a supported Z-Wave function, so really it *should* just be a question of getting the parameters set right so that they report to HS3.
              True. I guess, I can give it a shot. Thanks!

Comment

I stuck one of these micro switches behind my traditional outlet and get energy information for any load on that outlet, not just the lower receptacle. I went this route because the outlet I cared about was in the bathroom where my wife is always worried about leaving something plugged in. Not only can I shut down the whole outlet, I can also see if there is any active kW consumption indicating that she did leave the flat iron on again after we've left the house and are half way to our destination!

I'm thinking of creating an event that kills the outlets when the bathroom lights are off and turns it on when the bathroom lights are turned on.

Comment

I have the Enerwave ZW15RM and can confirm that it works like a charm. I also bought a couple of the Enerwave ZWN333M plug-in switch with energy monitoring and needed to manually configure bother of them but the receptacle was no effort at all to get up and running,
                  Last edited by KandB; January 4, 2016, 07:58 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by KandB View Post
                    I have the Enerwave ZW15RM and can confirm that it works like a charm. I also bought a couple of the Enerwave ZWN333M plug-in switch with energy monitoring and needed to manually configure bother of them but the receptacle was no effort at all to get up and running,
                    That sounds reassuring. My babysitter keeps unplugging the Aeon G6 plugin switch from the outlet and plugging the portable electric heater directly into a wall outlet. Then she leaves it running the whole night, if she falls asleep. Temp goes over 82 degrees, when it's 25 outside....

So, an energy monitoring non-removable outlet that I can control is a must...

Comment

Unless she plugs it into the upper outlet which isn't z-wave controlled.

An aeon microswitch and a multi motion/temperature sensor would be a good combo.

If kW is >X, andif no motion (she's asleep) andif temperature >Y then turn off outlet, then send yourself an email that outlet was turned off (so you know to unplug the heater and turn the outlet back on).

Comment

Be careful with the rating on the Aeon switch. I think it's only rated for 10A and don't know if it's rated for motors, etc.

Cheers
                        Al
                        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by denisl View Post
                          Unless she plugs it into the upper outlet which isn't z-wave controlled.
                          I would get one of the baby proofing covers that go into the receptacle prong holes, and put epoxy on the prongs. Problem solved as it would then be impossible to remove the cover over the non-controlled outlet.

I am considering one of these Enerwave outlets for a new outlet location I am adding. Does anyone know if these are Zwave+? I doubt they are, but it would really be nice to have an energy reporting one that is Zwave+, and able to be on a different frequency than my main Zwave network. Zwave+ is supposed to support multiple channels. I would prefer to put these energy reporting devices on a separate network and frequency, as I am sure if I eventually have a whole house full of them, they will congest my regular Zwave network, causing delays and bad user experience.

Edit: I just checked their web site, and it appears these are not Zwave+. However, one can set how often it will send out the wattage information (like other metered Zwave devices). At least there is that.
                          Last edited by Automated; January 5, 2016, 09:43 AM.

Comment

interestingly, this suggests that there is energy reporting on both outlets for the Enerwave.

http://z-wavealliance.org/5796-2/

Comment

Has anyone tried one of these units on HS2? TIA

Mark

BTW, Amazon has got Aeon DSC06106-ZWUS switches for $29.99. While not pretty, they do work well with HS2.

Comment

Working...
                              X