X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Winds" gusting vs "Winds" a watch

I'm using WeatherXML and getting a forecast that shows as follows in text:
    "Partly to mostly cloudy. High near 55. Wind's light and variable."

My Text-to-Speech reads that as why-nds light and variable instead of the contraction wind is light and variable.

Is this coming from WeatherUnderground? Is there a way to override or map one word to another like "winneds" or "wind is" which my TTS pronounces correctly?

WU sends it as winds. I had the issue with winds being pronounced as something you would do with a non battery watch.
    I played around with different spellings and finally found that wind's was pronounced correctly so I started replacing winds with wind's.

Apparently different voices pronounce the words differently.
    I look into a way to let you enter the way you want the replacement spelled when the info is being spoken.
    --
    Jeff Farmer
    HS 3, HSPhone
    My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
    Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Originally posted by CFGuy View Post
      WU sends it as winds.
      Actually, if this is coming from WU, it is sending it as "wind's". You mentioned that you played around with different spellings. Are you saying you did that in HS3 in either the WeatherXML plug-in configuration or elsewhere, and were you able to map different spellings and therefore pronunciations to WU incoming words?

I'm using the Kate voice from Neospeech.

Comment

If you check the xml file it is sent as winds. I added some code in the plugin to change winds to wind's before it is saved in the devices.

It is odd, as I am using Neospeech Kate as well and she is pronouncing wind's correctly.
        --
        Jeff Farmer
        HS 3, HSPhone
        Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Thanks. Where did you go to change "winds" to "wind's"? Maybe I need to go there to change "wind's" to "winds". I found the forecast in an XML file under C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Data\weatherXML\WUForecast1.xml and you're right. It says "winds" in the CDATA under the <fcttext> tag.

I found the Custom Text screen at /weatherXMLcustom but winds isn't one of the words on the screen, it doesn't allow addition of words on the screen, and the bottom section says it will auto-add new conditions as they are imported form the XML files, but when I looked into the WeatherXML XML files on disk, I couldn't find "wind" or "wind's" in any of them. What am I missing?

Comment

Custom text was designed for a way to convert conditions and text that shows on the plugin user pages to a language other than English.

The code that changes from winds to wind's is built into the plugin. Currently no way for you to change that.
            --
            Jeff Farmer
            HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Working...
            X