UPB compatible with X-10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPB compatible with X-10?

What happens if you try to use both UPB and X-10 over the same power wires?

I have some X-10 devices I would like to continue to use, but some very long distance runs (300-400 ft) are highly unreliable and I'm looking for an alternative.

Am I correct that UPB will handle these long distances? What are the practical limits?

Should I try something other than UPB first?

Thanks for any advice,

Jerry

X10 and UPB play together without interference. I selected UPB to deal with a road light that is 600 ft from the house. Signal quality at that distance is very good.

Comment

UPB can travel very long distances. If it is a straight shot to a single light or two I've known people to get over 1000' feet.

Like all PLC systems the signal will degrade with loads and length.

UPB uses a much higher spike voltage for a shorter duration at a lower frequency. This means less overall attenuation from transformers and things that normally eat X10 signals. Normally this would also mean slower communications but UPB uses a different signalling method that sends more data out in each cycle. This results in a signal that delivers about 480 bits per second of data vs. X10 at about 60 bits per second.

In installations I've been involved with we just placed a single passive signal bridge in the breaker box (not required by PCS but it ALWAYS helps) and every circuit in the house (and out) gets a strong signal. UPB uses network IDs and passwords so that homes on the same transformer don't interfere with each other if the signal happens to travel THAT far. Each system network can support over 60 thousand devices in theory.

I still have a bit of X10 stuff in my house but mainly UPB. If I'm not mistaken I've seen X10 actually travel at the exact same time as UPB over the lines.

Jon

Originally posted by JKaplan
      What happens if you try to use both UPB and X-10 over the same power wires?

I have some X-10 devices I would like to continue to use, but some very long distance runs (300-400 ft) are highly unreliable and I'm looking for an alternative.

Am I correct that UPB will handle these long distances? What are the practical limits?

Should I try something other than UPB first?

Thanks for any advice,

Jerry
      Last edited by Oman; September 24, 2005, 12:36 PM.
      Jon Ort
      JonOrt@The--Orts.com
      (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

Thanks for the tips...

Thanks folks, sounds like this stuff actually works so I'll give it a try.

Jerry

Comment

I have the ACT active coupler/repeater installed to help make my X10 reliable. Can anyone comment if I would have to remove this device in order to use UPB? I know it has some type of error detection and trys to decide what it should and shouldn't repeat. I would hate to waste my recent invesment and also make my X10 unreliable during a transition phase.

Comment

You can leave it there. An active coupler will generally not help UPB but it won't get in the way.

Originally posted by Viper76Man
            I have the ACT active coupler/repeater installed to help make my X10 reliable. Can anyone comment if I would have to remove this device in order to use UPB? I know it has some type of error detection and trys to decide what it should and shouldn't repeat. I would hate to waste my recent invesment and also make my X10 unreliable during a transition phase.
            Jon Ort
            JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Thanks for the info, what about when I add the passive UPB coupler, will it have issues and/or confuse the Active coupler? I read that the passive will pass the X10 signal over to the other phase. Would the other phase end up getting 2 signals then?

Comment

Nope. There is already some coupling in your house wiring. The coupler will just strengthen that.

Originally posted by Viper76Man
                Thanks for the info, what about when I add the passive UPB coupler, will it have issues and/or confuse the Active coupler? I read that the passive will pass the X10 signal over to the other phase. Would the other phase end up getting 2 signals then?
                Jon Ort
                JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Working...
                X