HAI thermostat plugin not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HAI thermostat plugin not working

After much effort I finally got my RC2000 thermostat talking to my PC via serial port. I can send and receive Hex strings so I have a valid hardware connection via a local RS232 connection to COM2. No USB or Ethernet adapters at the moment.

However Homeseer does not seem to read and write to it. None of the entries for current temp, setpoints, etc. are correct. Tried disabling and re-enabling the plugin. Uninstall and reinstall the plugin. And of course the PC reboot.

This project has been a real bummer. I know lots of people have made it work.

Any advise is appreciated.
    Attached Files

If I remember correctly the original thermostats communicate at 1200 baud. Is the RC2000 set for this rate and is that the rate you tested at?

If you see data I'd expect the problem is speed/parity/etc.

Comment

Yes its set to 1200 baud and the hardware is communicating ok. I used serial port testing software to confirm I can send and receive serial hex strings using the HAI protocol.
      Attached Files

Comment

Jeff,

I have an RC1000 connected to my HAI OPII Panel. My set up is different than yours. I installed my RC1000 last year after it sat for a couple of years; think it was first gen though. The original thermostat didn't have the J8 jumper so I had to jumper NC/BLK for communications to the panel. I did buy an RC2000 for installation in FL; its sitting there right now and I haven't had the time yet to install it. There is a heat pump there and a "humistat" which is a bit confusing to me.

The thermostat worked fine for a few months. Sometime in FEB/MAR it started to act up. It appeared that the serial communications between the OPII and the thermostat had some issues. I could validate the communications issues by watching PCA or the Omnitouch screens and or Omni Keypads. The ambient temperature would state zero (0) or fluctuate between the ambient temperature and zero. After a day or more it seemed to settle and would remain indicating the right ambient temperature. This only occurred on the remote views as the thermostat always indicated the right ambient temperature.

With HAI technical support checked all communications, wires etc; all fine. I ended up RMAing the thermostat. I recieved a replacement which worked to a point. The ambient temperature was showing up fine with the replacement. Then last week I turned on the AC because temps went to the 80-90's here. The problem re-appeared. Technical support asked if I had the NC/BLK jumper in place. I said no because I had the J8 jumper in place. I installed the NC/BLK jumper again per their instruction. I've been watching and I haven't seen the issue.

My thermostat is powered by an external HAI powered module with a separate power supply. I installed the autonomous power module with the RC-80 due to the "power stealing" issues I had with the RC-80. (IE: this was after trying all of the original suggestions from HAI; IE: common wire and isolation module). I have a conventional HVAC (not a heat pump).

I am not sure why the difference with the connection of the blk/NC jumper and J8 and cannot find any documentation related to using the two jumpers. I thought that they were both the same function. I cannot say if the RC2000 is the same as my RC1000.

I just know that the communications issues I was seeing was related to the thermostat as the RC80 had been functioning fine for the last 5 years or so. So I don't know if I am helping you here with my post; telling you about my comm issues. It could be a similiar issue. BTW your HS view above of -49F is the same that I would see on Homeseer when I had the issues with the thermostat. HS would show -49 and PCA would show 0 (zero).
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Hi Pete

Your issues sound different than mine. I'm aware of the J8 jumper for comms, you must remove this jumper for the stat to talk on generic RS232, install it to work with HAI systems. I currently have the stat on my bench, being powered by a 24VAC transformer and a serial cable to the PC. No issues with power or lack of the ground wire. I've not even hooked it up to my Heat/AC system yet, just sitting on the bench trying to talk to HS.

My problem has been multi-layered to put it mildly. I had the worst time getting the RS232 to talk. Spent months off and on getting the wiring right due to HAIs strange use of wire colors (ever heard of an N/C wire color?) and publishing an interface cable diagram that referenced the wrong colors. Then it turned out I had a crossover serial cable (should be straight).

Now the hardware connection part works but seemingly the HS plugin for HAI thermostats does not. I had lockup problems with the plugin when I first installed it a long time ago. It could not communicate with the stat and made comments about it in the log. After that experience I don't dare leave the plugin enabled when I'm gone, I only turn it on when experimenting with it.

It simply does not set the stat and does not read anything from it. Here are the messages in the log when I enable the plugin.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=LOGDateTime0 noWrap align=left>5/17/2011 4:23:09 PM </TD><TD class=LOGType0 colSpan=3 align=left>HAI Thermostat </TD><TD class=LOGEntry0 colSpan=8 align=left>Timeout writing data to Thermostat</TD></TR><TR><TD class=LOGDateTime1 noWrap align=left>5/17/2011 4:23:27 PM </TD><TD class=LOGType1 colSpan=3 align=left>HAI Thermostat </TD><TD class=LOGEntry1 colSpan=8 align=left>Timeout Reading data from Thermostat</TD></TR><TR><TD class=LOGDateTime0 noWrap align=left>5/17/2011 4:23:45 PM </TD><TD class=LOGType0 colSpan=3 align=left>HAI Thermostat </TD><TD class=LOGEntry0 colSpan=8 align=left>Timeout Reading data from Thermostat</TD></TR><TR><TD class=LOGDateTime1 noWrap align=left>5/17/2011 4:24:09 PM </TD><TD class=LOGType1 colSpan=3 align=left>HAI Thermostat </TD><TD class=LOGEntry1 colSpan=8 align=left>Timeout Reading data from Thermostat</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
          The timeout messages continue for a while and then stop. If I leave the plugin enabled they will randomly reappear and then stop again. But it never correctly accesses the thermostat.

Comment

I only have the RC80 here in the midwest as a back up to the RC1000. I will give the RC2000 (its in FL) a "test" using your "workbench" scenario. I have to test it before installing it anyways.

Anyone else here using the Omnistat2 with the current version of HS serial plugin?

I believe you sold your RC80; wondering if you tested it with the HS Plugin before selling it?

BTW has the plugin ever been updated to include the new features of the Omnistat2 line of thermostats?
            Last edited by Pete; May 18, 2011, 06:22 AM.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

The plug-in has not (yet!) been updated for the Omnistat2.

Comment

Is anyone using the plugin with its current features with the Omnistat2?
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete

The current plugin does not support any of the new features of the RC2000. Many people, including me obviously, are having trouble with just the standard features. I never had an RC80, but wanted to buy a used one cheap to try the interface to HS as everyone says the plugin works well with it. Never did find one.

AO!
                  I sent you an email asking about your stated desire to write a new plugin. Any progress with that? I'd give it a try. I'd give almost anything a try.

Comment

I sent a request for the code last week...I have to wait for an announcement from Mark next week before I make a comment

Comment

Comment

Picta I love you.

Your comment made me try to change the baud rate (not expansion baud) from 1200 to 300. Once I did this is it synced up with HS right away. I assumed HS would use the default baud rate from the Windows OS, which I had set to 1200. But apparently the thermostat MUST be set to 300.

I do not see any setting for baud rate in HS or the HAI plugin. Does anyone know where this is set? Some INI file somewhere?

Thanks again to everyone in the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by AO! View Post
                          I sent a request for the code last week...I have to wait for an announcement from Mark next week before I make a comment

OK...they finally announced the code licensing! I will work on buying the source code this week and then get started on the update!

Comment

Working...
                          X