Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Almost Ready to move to UPB. A few questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost Ready to move to UPB. A few questions.

1) Can both X10 and UPB plugins and interfaces co-exist?

2) Can I have an x10 motion detector trigger an event that turns on a UPB light?

3) Can I have a UPB link trigger an event that turns on/off an X10 device?

4) Now is the time to talk me out of jumping into UPB from X10. I've also consisered Insteon, and like the devices and capabilities of UPB better. I'm a little nervous about reliability of UPB transmissions??

Ed
    tenholde

1) Can both X10 and UPB plugins and interfaces co-exist?
    Yes, I have both and it works flawlessly. I also have an X10 coupler/repeater and three UPB phase couplers installed and they work fine together.

2) Can I have an x10 motion detector trigger an event that turns on a UPB light?
    I don't think there is a way to have the X10 motion detector directly control the UPB device, but you can do it with a HS event as an "interpretor". Create an event that is triggered by the X10 command and sends a UPB command as the action.

3) Can I have a UPB link trigger an event that turns on/off an X10 device?
    Same technique as #2 but in reverse.

4) Now is the time to talk me out of jumping into UPB from X10. I've also consisered Insteon, and like the devices and capabilities of UPB better. I'm a little nervous about reliability of UPB transmissions??
    I am very happy with UPB. I've replaced most of my X10 stuff with UPB and it's working well for me. I still have some X10 for where there is no UPB equivilent (like the Elk 30 amp X10 switch) but all my wall switches and lamp modules are UPB.

Comment

So far it seems that the chances of UPB working throughout a home (with only a UPB bridge) right "out of the box" are quite a bit higher that getting Insteon, Z-Wave, or X10 working right away. With work you should be able to get anything working - but UPB just seems to be the most likely to "just work"

Jon

Originally posted by DC
      Yes, I have both and it works flawlessly. I also have an X10 coupler/repeater and three UPB phase couplers installed and they work fine together.

I don't think there is a way to have the X10 motion detector directly control the UPB device, but you can do it with a HS event as an "interpretor". Create an event that is triggered by the X10 command and sends a UPB command as the action.

Same technique as #2 but in reverse.

I am very happy with UPB. I've replaced most of my X10 stuff with UPB and it's working well for me. I still have some X10 for where there is no UPB equivilent (like the Elk 30 amp X10 switch) but all my wall switches and lamp modules are UPB.
      Jon Ort
      JonOrt@The--Orts.com
      (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

For what it's worth, my computer interface is plugged into a UPS, which couldn't be done with x-10 and then I have three UPB modules so far (unknown whether they are on the same phase, but I doubt all four devices are). Anyway, all have a perfect signal strength and report no noise. X-10 here was constantly problematic. Oh, and no bridge needed so far. UPB has not interfered at all with my existing x-10 devices.
        HS: 2.5.0.60
        Environment: Virtual XP as guest in VMWare Server running under Win 7
        Plug-ins: MLHSPlugin|RCS Serial Thermostat|UltraLog|UltraMon|
        Misc: 303 Devices, 313 Events, 68+ Scripts

HSeer: 3.0.0.54
        Plug-ins: BLGData|BLRF|BLRadar|BLRandom|BLSpeech
        UltraM1G3|UltraECM3|UltraMon3|UPBSpud|Z-Wave
        Misc: 148 Devices, 116 Events, 9+ Scripts (so far, still converting)

Comment

Most of the USB UPB PIMs are powered by the USB bus, which means that you don't need to connect them to the UPS. You can test this by just unplugging the PIM and seeing if Windows thinks the device has been disconnected. This is a nice feature because "online" UPS units will greatly reduce the signal going from the PIM to the wiring, so this gives you a way around the problem.

Jon

Originally posted by jstaab
          For what it's worth, my computer interface is plugged into a UPS, which couldn't be done with x-10 and then I have three UPB modules so far (unknown whether they are on the same phase, but I doubt all four devices are). Anyway, all have a perfect signal strength and report no noise. X-10 here was constantly problematic. Oh, and no bridge needed so far. UPB has not interfered at all with my existing x-10 devices.
          Last edited by Oman; January 24, 2006, 02:12 PM.
          Jon Ort
          JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Good point, granted, it is mostly plugged in there for the surge protection more then anything, I was actually surprised it worked. I believe I even had issues with the CM11A plugged into a surge protector. Sadly everything is connected to everything in my house, so if I ever take a hit, it's more then likely going to get quite a bit of stuff.

Comment

UPB parts list ?

If I needed a parts list to start up with UPB what is needed ?

Which hardware brand works the best / best features ? SA ? HA brands ?

(PIM, HS software plugin, phase couplers.. what is the startup list for rock stable light control) ?

Are there or soon to be outside motion sensors-lights ?

What is a good supply / support company for these ?

HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.258

Comment

First off you need to understand that you don't have to go with a single technology for every need you have. There might be a combination of technologies that makes a good solution.

As for lighting *control* UPB I think is a good choice. You would need one power line interface, the UPB plug-in, and one or more switches/load controllers.

PCS is the company that created UPB and they have some products, SimplyAutomated licenses the UPB technology and makes a bunch of products as well.

My personal system uses UPB to control all the lights, some UPB sensors for doorbell, etc. I have an Elk alarm system panel with door and motion sensors that feed input about occupancy, motion, etc. I use X10 Security motion sensors (soon to be changed to Caddx I think) and DS10as to fill in some areas that are not wired. Lastly I use a combination of PalmPads, RTI remotes, and Elk keypads as the "User Interface". The magic of HomeSeer is its ability to render technology neutral so that it can be combined.

Jon

Originally posted by Richard
                If I needed a parts list to start up with UPB what is needed ?

Which hardware brand works the best / best features ? SA ? HA brands ?

(PIM, HS software plugin, phase couplers.. what is the startup list for rock stable light control) ?

Are there or soon to be outside motion sensors-lights ?

What is a good supply / support company for these ?

Jon Ort
                JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Not to rain on everyone's parade, but I've been working diligently for several months to get UPB to work in my house without success so far. I've been working closely with SA, and they have been extremely supportive, but of 2 major problems with my installation, only 1 is solved so far.

Since you asked :

Problem 1 was noise generated by a neighbor that interfered with UPB signals in my house. It took the combined efforts of several organizations -- including the power company -- to track this down. It's now resolved.

Problem 2 seems to be that UPB doesn't like flourescent lights much. I have a large number of "compact flourescents", as well as under-counter lighting, etc., which seems to generate enough local noise to overpower the UPB signals. I'm working on possible solutions with SA engineering.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting on several thousand $ worth of switches, etc. from Automated Outlet (which I can recommend as a supplier) pending resolution of these issues.

Other than the fact that it doesn't work for me yet, I like UPB a lot.

Jerry

Comment

I run one bank of flourecents and 280 watts of Halogens from UPB switches without any problems so far. Maybe it's the compact flourecent that cause more problems. Sure hope you get it figured out as that would be very frustrating. I'm very happy with my UPB, now if the cost would come down I could get more of them.
                    Bruce

"The universal answer is 42."

Comment

I have 10 UPB devices controlling lights and a de-humidifier. I also have compact flourescent lights in almost every room in my house (3400 Sq Ft). I have no issues with noise everything works great even on both phases without a coupler.

5 of my UPB devices are controlling compact flourescent lights.
                      John

Comment

I have four regular fluorescent lights, and about 20 of the compact fluorescent lights (I'm assuming you mean the spiral kind) and all my UPB devices register no noise at all.

Comment

Same here. I have a few under-counter fluorescent lights in the kitchen and laundry room and many 4' fluorescent lights in my shop and my UPB devices report no noise. I have UPB switches in my shop, with all the fluorescent lights, and the UPB switches work flawlessly. In fact, I have a fluorescent light on the same circuit as my UPB interface.

Comment

Here's a thought - my CF's are dimmable. Perhaps that's affecting the amount of noise they are putting out?

I don't really need this feature (as I've discovered - the damn things don't put out much light anyway so who the heck can tell the difference). Perhaps I should invest in some non-dimmable and see if that makes a difference?

ANother possiblity is the fact that I'm using Lightolier (I think) dimmable X-10 switches. Could that be making a difference??

Comment

1) The dimmable CFs (and Halogens) can put out quite a bit of noise.
                              2) So you have a mix of UPB and X10 switches? Each can attenuate the other's signal, but I've noticed that the UPB switches eat less X10 than the X10 switches eat UPB signal. It also seems to depend on the brand of X10 switch. I don't have any Lightolier switches to test with.

It seems that an easy way to tell would be to shut off the breakers for a few of the circuits that have the X10 switches and / or CFs and see if the UPB signal strength increases significantly.

Jon

Originally posted by JKaplan
                              Here's a thought - my CF's are dimmable. Perhaps that's affecting the amount of noise they are putting out?

I don't really need this feature (as I've discovered - the damn things don't put out much light anyway so who the heck can tell the difference). Perhaps I should invest in some non-dimmable and see if that makes a difference?

ANother possiblity is the fact that I'm using Lightolier (I think) dimmable X-10 switches. Could that be making a difference??
                              Jon Ort
                              JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Working...
                              X