X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Start Instructions for Insteon.

Insteon Basic Plug-in Quick start (PLC Version of the plug-in):

1) Download the Insteon plug-in beta from the updater.
    2) Follow the prompts/log entries displayed to install the new SmartHome Device Manager (SDM)
    3) Start HomeSeer
    4) Click the Setup button in the web interface. Select the Interfaces tab.
    5) Click on the "Disabled" button in the Insteon row under X10 if you want X10 support. Click on the "Disabled" button in the Insteon row for Insteon support.
    6) Click on the Save button at the bottom of the page.
    7) Click on the Insteon Configuration button at the top of the page.
    8) If you see a warning about a problem finding the SDM or your Insteon controller you need to fix the problem before going to step 9
    9) Press the Completely Reset PLC button to configure the PLC for use with HomeSeer. Wait for it to complete.
    10) Click on the Manage Devices button
    11) Click the Tap-Add Insteon Devices button
    12) Go to each device you want to add and tap-link it to the plug-in (see the documentation for the device, usually hold the button or switch for 3 or ten seconds)
    13) For each device you add you should see a listing on the plug-in screen.
    14) When done select the Done Tap-Adding devices button
    15) Select the Edit Device # button for each device you added and give it a more descriptive name and location.
    16) Click the Save Changes button
    17) Now select the Program Device button to program the device for use with HomeSeer.
    Repeat (go to step 12) for each device

For details see the PDF file that ships with the plug-in.

Jon
    Last edited by Oman; April 11, 2007, 11:23 AM. Reason: Release Instructions
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

I tried to tap link a switchlink to the PLC using the instructions above (Set the Switch into link mode, light flashing) and help the PLC button to create the link, but the switch never sees it. (i.e. stays in link mode)

Any thoughts?

Comment

10 seconds is a long time when you are holding a button down. If it still does not work then the PLC and the switch are not communicating and you will need to increase the signal (RFLinks or PLC location, etc) or reduce the noise that might be on the line.

Jon

Originally posted by Drake
      I tried to tap link a switchlink to the PLC using the instructions above (Set the Switch into link mode, light flashing) and help the PLC button to create the link, but the switch never sees it. (i.e. stays in link mode)

Any thoughts?
      Jon Ort
      JonOrt@The--Orts.com
      (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

So I moved my SignalLink to the same room(within 10 feet or eachother, all devices that is) and tried to link a different device. I am finding that regardless of the device I am trying to link, the switch enters set up mode, no problem. I press the button on the PLC and held for 10 seconds. Long enough to get the LED flashing on the PLC when I release it. Do I need to set these devices up somewhere else or take additional steps?

Comment

Troubleshooting manual linking:

1) When you first hold down the switch there will be an immediate broadcast of a command (bright) that will cause the local switch's indicator to flash once. IF the PLC has any links already to the switch then the PLCs indicator will also flash. If it does then stop here, there is nothing more to do, go to step 6.

2) When you have held the switch down long enough you will see the indicator on the switch start blinking. You will also see the PLC's light flash off/on once at the exact same time.

3) If you did *not* see the PLCs light flash then it did not get the link message from the switch.

4) If the PLC *got* the link message then holding the PLC switch for 10 seconds will *not* cause it to go into linking mode (blinking regularaly) rather it will flash once to indicate that it responded to the original link request from the switch. If this is the case go to step 6.

5) If the PLCs indicator *is* blinking after 1-4 then the switch and the PLC are not communicating with each other and you need to troubleshoot the communication problem. Stop here.

6) Since you got here then the switch sent a control message to the PLC and the PLC heard it, or you have created a new link that will do that. Just download the records for the switch and you should have local load control recognition.

Jon

Originally posted by Drake
          So I moved my SignalLink to the same room(within 10 feet or eachother, all devices that is) and tried to link a different device. I am finding that regardless of the device I am trying to link, the switch enters set up mode, no problem. I press the button on the PLC and held for 10 seconds. Long enough to get the LED flashing on the PLC when I release it. Do I need to set these devices up somewhere else or take additional steps?
          Jon Ort
          JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

After trying a number of different outlets, etc, I did a hard reset on the PLC and the linking began to work. Not sure what it was. Seems to be fine and good response on local status. Thanks for the help.

I think this has been covered elsewhere, but when good control/polling of the keypadlinc expected to be available?

Comment

Your device could not be reached, reprogramming could not complete.

17) Now select the Program Device Links button for the device

I get all the way to this point. There is no "Program Device Links" button

There is a statement "Warining: The links for this device have not been downloaded recently. Please download the links for the device to operate properly. If this device has just been added, use the reprogram option to setup the device."

I tried the "Reprogram Device Links" button and get error "Your device could not be reached, reprogramming could not complete."

Comment

Originally posted by skpnsf

I get all the way to this point. There is no "Program Device Links" button

There is a statement "Warining: The links for this device have not been downloaded recently. Please download the links for the device to operate properly. If this device has just been added, use the reprogram option to setup the device."

I tried the "Reprogram Device Links" button and get error "Your device could not be reached, reprogramming could not complete."
                Are you attempting to use X10 or Insteon with your PLC? If you're attempting to use the PLC to control Insteon then your PLC can't "talk/reach" the Insteon device.
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
                  Are you attempting to use X10 or Insteon with your PLC? If you're attempting to use the PLC to control Insteon then your PLC can't "talk/reach" the Insteon device.
                  I guess thats the part I don't understand. It does "see" the device because the software is able to determine the serial number and type of module using the Tap-Add function. it's just that last step the seems to be malfunctionaing. Additionally Smarthomes own free timer software doesn't have a problem detecting and activating the module.
                  Im using PLC for the Insteon function.

Comment

Originally posted by skpnsf
                    I guess thats the part I don't understand. It does "see" the device because the software is able to determine the serial number and type of module using the Tap-Add function. it's just that last step the seems to be malfunctionaing. Additionally Smarthomes own free timer software doesn't have a problem detecting and activating the module.
                    Im using PLC for the Insteon function.
                    I am having the same problem. What's the fix?

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp

Insteon plug-in beta 1 quick-start:

1) Download the Insteon plug-in beta from the updater.
                      2) Follow the prompts/log entries displayed to install the new SmartHome Device Manager (SDM)
                      3) Start HomeSeer
                      4) Click the Setup button in the web interface. Select the Interfaces tab.
                      5) Click on the "Disabled" button in the Insteon row under X10 if you want X10 support. Click on the "Disabled" button in the Insteon row for Insteon support.
                      6) Click on the Save button at the bottom of the page.
                      7) Click on the Insteon Configuration button at the top of the page.
                      8) If you see a warning about a problem finding the SDM or your Insteon controller you need to fix the problem before going to step 9
                      9) If you had been using an older version of the SDM and you have an internet connection press the Update PLC Firmware button to get the current version of the SALad application (firmware). Wait for it to complete.
                      10) Click on the Manage Devices button
                      11) Click the Tap-Add Insteon Devices button
                      12) Go to each device you want to add and tap-link it to the plug-in (see te documentation for the device, usually hold the button or switch for 3 or ten seconds)
                      13) For each device you add you should see a listing on the plug-in screen.
                      14) When done select the Done Tap-Adding devices button
                      15) Select the Edit Device # button for each device you added and give it a more descriptive name and location.
                      16) Click the Save Changes button
                      <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->18) Repeat (go to step 12) for each device

Jon
                      Jon,

Thanks for all your help here; it really helps keeping me from going crazy :-) This really should be easier to do...

Anyways, prospective HomeSeer user here. Kicking the tires, so to say, on improving my current HomeVision system with the latest to offer from HomeSeer.

Hoping to integrate Insteon into our Home. Bought a couple of SignaLinc RFs, PowerLinc for computer connection, a couple of SwitchLincs (not yet installed) and a KeyPadLinc.

INstalled the KeyPad and works fine for local control of load, but can't get HomeSeer to control or reports its state. Followed your steps and didn't past the
                      Program Device which reports "
                      <HR noShade>

Your device could not be reached, reprogramming could not complete.

"

Thought it could be my RFs, so I double checked the current location and they work as expected, ie, both fast blinks. Could they be not working, even though they report ok?

Thanksa bunch for any suggestions...anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by RacerChris
                        I am having the same problem. What's the fix?
                        Retuned all the Insteon products for a refund. Problem fixed !
                        My opinion, it should be much easier and more polished. It's not worth the hassle.

Comment

Actually, there is a good chance that this issue is fixed in the latest plugin.
                          I ran into that problem, and now I am getting excellent results.

Comment

Originally posted by jhimmel
                            Actually, there is a good chance that this issue is fixed in the latest plugin.
                            I ran into that problem, and now I am getting excellent results.
                            Any advice on how to fix?

Comment

I changed a bunch of stuff in the plug-in to be more tolerant of bad Insteon communication. There was initially a claim that the between the built-in retry and acknowledgement system the software should never see a communication failure unless the destination device was broken or missing. This prooved to be pretty much totally wrong.

The new version of the plug-in is designed to be very tolerant of communication errors. There are a few other conditions that previously were considered to be error conditions that fall into a grey area that the plug-in can now deal with properly.

Just go to the new version thread and follow the directions.

Jon

Originally posted by RacerChris
                              Any advice on how to fix?
                              Jon Ort
                              JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Working...
                              X