Com Port Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Com Port Software

I posted a question about in another form about any suggestions with com port redirector software that will work with the GC100-12.
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=158012

Looking for freeware or trial use for testing.

Thanks
    HSPro: 3.0.0.194
    PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
    HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

You should be able to use one GC100-12 to control all of your IR devices. If you have the same make and model device (TV, DVD, etc) in the different zones, you would use a different IR port on the GC100 for each zone. The GC100 gets its connection to HomeSeer via your network. I don't see any need for serial port redirection. Do you have equipment that can be controlled with serial commands and want to send those commands over your network as well? If that is the case, you probably would do better to connect those devices directly to the HS computer with USB to serial adapters. I have two devices that I control with serial commands and that is how I have them connected. Works very well and is easy to set up.

All of my IR emitters, receivers, and distribution hardware is made by Xantech. They are by far the best. They are widely used in the commercial and professional AV arena. Most all of the Xantech stuff that you would need can be purchased from smarthome.com.

I am using the UltraGCIR plugin. I also have the GC100 set up to recognize IR commands and trigger HS events and devices from those IR commands. An example would be when I turn on the TV with the remote, the code triggers a HS event and script that sets up lighting and other stuff.

Programming HSTouch screens to send IR commands is easy. You can design screens with virtual remote controls on them. Works great!

Ken.

Comment

Thanks for the info Ken.

My intent with the serial ports on the GC100-12s are for other hardware that are non IR. I have 5 GC100s and love the idea of utilizing my LAN to send serial command. For the last year I used a SENA IP/Serial device for my irrigation controller but would like to start using my GC100s being they have also IR, contact switch, and voltage sensing potential.

I got a good grip on the IR set up and its right inline with your suggestions but i wont have the time to wire that in for months at least. I think Sage has a pretty neat media center software plugin that will also add to the mix with IR setup. It might be someone else as I'm only going from memory

On Friday afternoon I talked with Global Cache and they said they used the 32 bit version of the recommend redirector software on a 64 bit machine. The week I plan to try it out and wire in additional serial devices I have. Fingers crossed

One area I am struggling in is with choices of AVRs. Most all AVRs don't output HDMI on more than one zone (unless u pay $2000 plus) or won't do downscaling so HDMI soure can't be outputted on composite or competent. It's my intent to house all my media gear in a dedicated cabinet and feed it to each room via HDMI cable.

With the above in mind what solutions are there for HD media distribution to at least 7 rooms with TV and 1 theater room with surround sound?
      PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
      HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieWayne View Post
        One area I am struggling in is with choices of AVRs. Most all AVRs don't output HDMI on more than one zone (unless u pay $2000 plus) or won't do downscaling so HDMI soure can't be outputted on composite or competent. It's my intent to house all my media gear in a dedicated cabinet and feed it to each room via HDMI cable.

With the above in mind what solutions are there for HD media distribution to at least 7 rooms with TV and 1 theater room with surround sound?
        I have found that long HDMI cable lengths tend to reduce the resolution you can push through them. A 75' HDMI cable will only pass 720p. In the commercial settings where we have had to distribute HD content, HDMI over CAT6 work great. One product we use transmits full HDMI 3D at 1080p with Deep Color and up to 7.1 channels of lossless audio and bidirectional IR all over 1 shielded CAT6 cable. So be real careful before installing a bunch of HDMI cables through out your house to find out that it doesn't quite work the way you expect.

The same company that makes the HDMI over CAT6 extender also makes an 8x8 switcher that uses the same HDMI over CAT6 technology to send the HD content to the TVs.

My experience is only with commercial AV so I don't know what hardware is out there that is oriented specifically for residential use.

Comment

For port forwarding, I use Eterlogic virtual serial port emulator. They offer 32 & 64 bit versions. Also Drule has a HS plugin called IP/Serial Plugin that will port forward as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Looms01 View Post
            For port forwarding, I use Eterlogic virtual serial port emulator. They offer 32 & 64 bit versions. Also Drule has a HS plugin called IP/Serial Plugin that will port forward as well.
            I've been testing the Etherlogic software and it works ok. I haven't paid for the 64 bit license and I'm having issues with it not starting up with windows and saving the com port settings. Getting it to start up with windows is easy if the software doesnt have a feature option but more my concern is can the software save the virtual com port setting after you purchase the license?

I emailed the company but have had no response yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken LaCapria View Post
              I have found that long HDMI cable lengths tend to reduce the resolution you can push through them. A 75' HDMI cable will only pass 720p. In the commercial settings where we have had to distribute HD content, HDMI over CAT6 work great. One product we use transmits full HDMI 3D at 1080p with Deep Color and up to 7.1 channels of lossless audio and bidirectional IR all over 1 shielded CAT6 cable. So be real careful before installing a bunch of HDMI cables through out your house to find out that it doesn't quite work the way you expect.

The same company that makes the HDMI over CAT6 extender also makes an 8x8 switcher that uses the same HDMI over CAT6 technology to send the HD content to the TVs.

My experience is only with commercial AV so I don't know what hardware is out there that is oriented specifically for residential use.
              Thanks for the input Ken. I've looked into switches as you said above and I think with using the AVR to do whole house video is not economical viable. Today I have an HDHomeRun (http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/atsc/) and use Windows Media Center WMC as an interface. While thinking about your comments and my build I started to think that maybe just use WMC and media extenders for each room other than Theater witch will be driven from an appropriate sized AVR. The cost to outfit each room with an extender such as Centeon Echo would be just a little more than a decent HDMI over Cat cable device. With such a device we would be able to watch movies from the server watch TV either live or recorded, play music.

I also thought about an HDMI Modulator where I could inject signal on to our coax until I seen the cost.

So a question I have are there devices in which I could use the HDMI output from a device and input it to a hardware device with an IP address such as a TV tuner card does? If so what software would use use and can it be used with media extenders?

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieWayne View Post
                I've been testing the Etherlogic software and it works ok. I haven't paid for the 64 bit license and I'm having issues with it not starting up with windows and saving the com port settings. Getting it to start up with windows is easy if the software doesnt have a feature option but more my concern is can the software save the virtual com port setting after you purchase the license?

I emailed the company but have had no response yet.
                Yes, it can save your settings and reload them on a restart. I can help you get this working if you're having problems. Basically you:
                • Create a shortcut to the VSPE executable.
                • Put the shortcut in your startup folder
                • Edit the properties on the shortcut and put something like the below in the "Target" field -> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Eterlogic.com\Virtual Serial Ports Emulator\VSPEmulator.exe" -minimize -hide_splash C:\Users\Kurt\Documents\VirtualCOMPort\virtualCOMPort.vspe

Notice the last part "C:\Users\Kurt...", that is where you have your saved VSPE settings. In other words, when the shortcut is executed, it will load the saved settings in "virtualCOMPort.vspe"

Hope that helps.

Comment

Re: Com Port Software

Got it and it worked. I was trying to get the program to startup and not my saved config. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
                  X