Excessive Logging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excessive Logging

The living room lights are chatting non stop, I guess they're confirming their states. Shouldn't something only go into the log if the device actually changes? I'm sure I saw that checkbox while naming the nodes. What's going on here?
    Attached Files

It looks like you have an event named "Living Rm Off" in an event group named "Living Rm" that is free running. If you post a screen shot of it I'm sure someone will be able to suggest a way to prevent the recurring trigger.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

What does free running mean?
      I have two entry ways into the Living Room, and one entry way gets one set of lights, and the other entry way gets the other set of lights. I have attempted to make these guys act as one light whereas either of the light switches would operate all of the lights, but that didn't work as the lights got into an oscillating strobe show. so I created this event where I use the one switch to turn on half the lights, and the other half then turn on and off accordingly. I just downloaded Easytrigger, and read where you can combine switches and make them function as one, but I haven't gotten into trying any of that yet.
      here's the code.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
        What does free running mean?
        I have two entry ways into the Living Room, and one entry way gets one set of lights, and the other entry way gets the other set of lights. I have attempted to make these guys act as one light whereas either of the light switches would operate all of the lights, but that didn't work as the lights got into an oscillating strobe show. so I created this event where I use the one switch to turn on half the lights, and the other half then turn on and off accordingly. I just downloaded Easytrigger, and read where you can combine switches and make them function as one, but I haven't gotten into trying any of that yet.
        here's the code.
        The events are being triggered repeatedly. The reason is that the trigger criteria are confusing to new users and it's easy to select one that creates this type of situation.

One way to fix it would be to use "changes and becomes On" and "Changes and become Off". Another option would be to add a condition: "And the lights are off" to the on event and "And the lights are on" to the off event.

PS. Do you know what is repeatedly resetting the device? Is there another event involved?
        Last edited by Uncle Michael; October 12, 2016, 01:05 PM. Reason: added question
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I don't fully understand how you had the events constructed that led to the oscillation, but it could be that adding a condition similar to my suggestion above, that your original plan could also work. Again, posting a screen shot of the events can be a bit help.

Comment

ok, I changed them to "Changes and becomes". Looks like that fixed the issue.
            Do you know how to operate the Easytrigger "Set device to another device" Command? Would that work in my situation?

Comment

Excellent.
              Do you know how to operate the Easytrigger "Set device to another device" Command? Would that work in my situation?
              I'm not sure what you are asking. I use that event action, and it can be quite useful, but I need to know more before I can respond to your question. On the other hand, you can create a test event and see what happens. I find that to be a very useful way to explore HS capabilities and limitations. It also gives you a concrete example to post and ask questions about.

Comment

That will be a problem as Uncle Michael pointed out above. You need to change the trigger to "This device changes and becomes..." instead of "is set to". The reason being is that a device can be "set to" Off, even if it is already Off. If you have a pair of events synchronizing two devices, it will constantly trigger - as you discovered. If you use "changes and becomes" the device actually has to change values in order to trigger.

Easy trigger works well for this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	2
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	1187396

The above event will cause two other dimmers to be set to match a dimmer whenever its value changes. If I set the one to 10% the other two will be set. If I set the one to Off the other two will be set to Off. If your devices are slow to report, add a short delay like this to give the one device a chance to report its new value, before setting the others.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	2
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	1187397

EDIT: You changed the attachment in the post I was quoting while I was responding, so this reply doesn't make sense. The attachment you originally attached was in this thread at post #3.
                HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Working...
                X