Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plugin Installation Anomoly? Extra Temperature Device

Has anyone seen this?... or how to correct it:

I just installed two ecobee3s yesterday and installed Spud's plugin on my ZeeS2. My downstairs stat appears to have created itself correctly, but the upstairs one (which has two remote sensors) has an additional "Temperature" device attached to the main thermostat. I'm not sure where it's pulling it's data from, but it is updating regularly. Any ideas? It's the last device in the attached image.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ecobee.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	1210984

Originally posted by B1Trash View Post
    Has anyone seen this?... or how to correct it:

I just installed two ecobee3s yesterday and installed Spud's plugin on my ZeeS2. My downstairs stat appears to have created itself correctly, but the upstairs one (which has two remote sensors) has an additional "Temperature" device attached to the main thermostat. I'm not sure where it's pulling it's data from, but it is updating regularly. Any ideas? It's the last device in the attached image.

[ATTACH]61094[/ATTACH]

Hi,
    The "Temperature" device is the temp at the main ecobee3 unit and "Ambient Temp" is the average temp across all devices connected to the main ecobee unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
    Plugin's:
    BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
    EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
    weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

It's not just the Ecobee, I have the same with a ZWBC41S that I sandboxed yesterday. Only difference is that the double one hasn't updated the Temp.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Black Cat View Post
        It's not just the Ecobee, I have the same with a ZWBC41S that I sandboxed yesterday. Only difference is that the double one hasn't updated the Temp.

Black Cat, I just looked up your device and you have a different issue. It looks like when the ZWBC41S was added to your system yesterday it added an extra temperature device that you don't need. With Z-wave that happens from time to time. I would just put a check mark next to the one that isn't updating and delete it.
        The Ecobee is an HVAC thermostat and is supposed to have a device for Temperature (Temp at the main unit) and a device for Ambient Temperature(Avg Temp between all of the other thermostats that are associated with the main unit).

Hope that helps.

Plugin's:

Comment

Thanks for the help... I was tempted to delete it as you suggested to Black Cat. I'm glad I held out.

Just to make sure I understand...

My downstairs thermostat has neither an external sensor nor a child "Temperature" device. However, if I add a sensor to it then the plugin will add a new group for the sensor and add an additional "Temperature" device to the main thermostat group.

Does that sound right?

Again, thanks for helping me through this.

-Jon

Comment

Thanks for the help... I was tempted to delete it as you suggested to Black Cat. I'm glad I held out.

Just to make sure I understand...

My downstairs thermostat has neither an external sensor nor a child "Temperature" device. However, if I add a sensor to it then the plugin will add a new group for the sensor and add an additional "Temperature" device to the main thermostat group.

Does that sound right?

Again, thanks for helping me through this.

-Jon

Your downstairs ecobee thermostat should have a temperature device even if you don't have an external lil'bee paired with it. Have you tried shutting down and restarting the plugin? If it doesn't create the temp device under the ecobee root after that then it's a question for Spud.

The plugin will add an additional root and child devices when you add the lil'bee. The lil'bee should have the root, temp and occupancy. My ecobee has 12 devices including the root. Sorry, I'm doing this on my phone or I would provide you a screenshot of all my devices. If you are still having issues tomorrow I'll post a screenshot of my devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Plugin's:

Comment

Does that sound right?
              That's correct. If your thermostat does not have any external sensor, only the "Ambient Temperature" device is created. In this case, there is no need for an additional "Temperature" because it would always be equal to the "Ambient Temperature" device.

If you add a sensor to this thermostats a new set of device will be created for this sensor, and an additional "Temperature" device will be created as well for the thermostat.
              Last edited by spud; May 10, 2017, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
                That's correct. If your thermostat does not have any external sensor, only the "Ambient Temperature" device is created. In this case, there is no need for an additional "Temperature" because it would always be equal to the "Ambient Temperature" device.

If you add a sensor to this thermostats a new you set of device will be created for this sensor, and an additional "Temperature" device will be created as well for the thermostat.

Thanks Spud, guess my understanding of those two was reversed. Ambient temp is the temp at the main unit and Temperature is the average temp of all sensors. A little confusing when they use "Temperature" on the lil'bee sensor instead of "Ambient Temperature".

Plugin's:

Comment

Originally posted by The Profit View Post
                  Thanks Spud, guess my understanding of those two was reversed. Ambient temp is the temp at the main unit and Temperature is the average temp of all sensors. A little confusing when they use "Temperature" on the lil'bee sensor instead of "Ambient Temperature".

I think your initial understanding was correct, maybe my previous most was confusing

Ambient Temperature = average temp of all sensors and main unit
                  Temperature = temp given by the sensor in the main unit

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
                    I think your initial understanding was correct, maybe my previous most was confusing

Ambient Temperature = average temp of all sensors and main unit

Temperature = temp given by the sensor in the main unit

Spud,
                    If that is the case then B1Trash (OP) Ecobee plugin only created the "Ambient Temp" device for the Ecobee that doesn't have any other lil'bee's attached to it. This would mean that there is a problem with the plugin creating the "Temperature" device.

I've used his screen shot device values to calculate his average and every way I've calculated, I can't get back to the value of either the Amb. Temp or Temp so I'm not really sure which one is correct. My assumption was that the Upstairs, Jackson's Room & Nate's Room were all associated with each other. It seems that the temp showing on the Ecobee screen itself is the Ambient Temp and I don't see the Temp value showing up in the Ecobee App at all.

The conclusion I seem to be coming to is that the Ecobee plugin created the devices you originally intended. It just may be that in order to remain consistent across devices, to use the label "Temperature" for the actual temperature value and "Ambient Temperature" which is different from the others as the Average Temp. Would be nice however if I could somehow get the same average temp that Ecobee comes up with so we could at least know for sure which device was which.

Plugin's:

Comment

Originally posted by The Profit View Post
                      Spud,
                      If that is the case then B1Trash (OP) Ecobee plugin only created the "Ambient Temp" device for the Ecobee that doesn't have any other lil'bee's attached to it. This would mean that there is a problem with the plugin creating the "Temperature" device.
                      No, I don't think there is any problem.
                      When there is no sensor, Ambient Temperature = Temperature = average temperature, so the plug-in only create one temperature device which is called "Ambient Temperature"

read this thread for more information:
                      https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=178164

Comment

Gents-

Thanks for the insight. Spud, thanks so much for your plugins... I only wish my little ZeeS2 had more capacity. Instead, I have to be very picky about what I use, and your work is making the integration and automation game possible in my house. Thank you.

As far as to adding up and averaging devices, I'm wondering if the polling time has anything to do with it. There is a 20 minute delay between temperature readings in the example above.

Comment

Working...
                        X