Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with Russound CA4...Please!

Hello All,

I just installed a HomeTroller S6, and it is operating properly. I also purchased a Russound CA4 amplifier/zone controller. I also have the Sonos Connect as my source (into Source 1). I am NOT using any Russound room/wall keypads. I have installed successfully the BLRussound PlugIn. I currently have partial control of the "amp" through HS3 - I am able to turn all of the zones 1 - 4 on or off, as confirmed by the lights on the face of the Russound controller. However I am not able to get any output/volume out of my speakers. I have confirmed proper input from my Sonos into Source 1 of the Russound. I sure would appreciate some help. Thank you!
    -RD

Have you made sure that the turn on volume and/or volume for the zone is turned up and each zone is set to source 1?
    If you have a keypad, it might be worthwhile to hook up for initial setup. You could just keep the keypad next to the CA4.

You might want to also try another source.
    DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

MSI Cubi Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 16GB DDRl RAM

Enabled Plug-Ins
    BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, JowiHue, MyQ, Nest, Rain8, Squeezebox, Ultra1Wire3, UltraGCIR3, Vista Alarm, X10,Z-Wave

Comment

Yes, I have turned up the volume, and down, and up... I also did that on each of the zones. I also selected all of the 4 different sources, just in case there was a mix-up during setup. I also tried another source, my cell phone playing music. I also confirmed the Sonos was providing output by plugging in a computer speaker I have that has a RCA plug on it and I clearly got music out of the speaker, adjustable by the Sonos volume. Then I immediately plugged the Sonos RCA jacks into the Russound and set the Sonos volume to apx 80%. Nothing yet.

I'm wondering if I actually need a room wall control, like you mentioned, but would like to know definitively if I need one. I have been told by a few folks that I don't need one, but I don't believe that info came from someone who is actually using a CA4.

Thanks for you r reply. Any more suggestions would be appreciated!

Comment

Hi D..,

I have turned the volume up, and down, and up..... I have confirmed the source as 1, and tried 2, 3, and 4. I confirmed proper source output with the Sonos, as well as 2 other source outputs/inputs. I have tried using all of the different source inputs just in case I mixed up the inputs during setup. Still no volume.

I have considered purchasing a room wall controller (plate), but a few people told me that I don't need one. But, I'm not sure they are actually using a CA4. I'm hoping to learn that someone that has the CA4 is successful in running it without room control pads/plates.

Thanks for your help. I am open to any and all suggestions!

-R

Comment

I know that for the CAA6.6 you don't need to attach a key pad. I can't speak for your model. That said, I would try a different source. Maybe the HS3 machine or even an mp3 player.
          Originally posted by rprade
          There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by RDinCA View Post
            Hi D..,

I have turned the volume up, and down, and up..... I have confirmed the source as 1, and tried 2, 3, and 4. I confirmed proper source output with the Sonos, as well as 2 other source outputs/inputs. I have tried using all of the different source inputs just in case I mixed up the inputs during setup. Still no volume.

I have considered purchasing a room wall controller (plate), but a few people told me that I don't need one. But, I'm not sure they are actually using a CA4. I'm hoping to learn that someone that has the CA4 is successful in running it without room control pads/plates.

Thanks for your help. I am open to any and all suggestions!

-R
            I don't think it is the plugin then. Is the Sonos a line in signal? I would try to find another source if you could. The sound card off a laptop or PC should work. Could it be the speakers?

I would try to find a keypad on e-bay, you don't need it with the plugin but it would make life easier. I think that I have an extra KP6 Keypad that you can borrow. I am in San Diego and can pop in the mail next week.

Another thought, does the CA4 have a remote? I guess that you need a keypad to use the remote.

David
            DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

MSI Cubi Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 16GB DDRl RAM

Enabled Plug-Ins
            BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, JowiHue, MyQ, Nest, Rain8, Squeezebox, Ultra1Wire3, UltraGCIR3, Vista Alarm, X10,Z-Wave

Comment

Could you post a picture of your connections? Maybe you are missing something simple?
              DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

Enabled Plug-Ins

Comment

Hmm, the CA4 is setup differently from the CA6 which has individual speaker outputs.
                I am wondering if you do need a keypad to complete the loop?

Have you tried the Zone 4 outputs:-
                Attached Files
                DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

Enabled Plug-Ins

Comment

Hi David,

Answers to your questions:
                  - I have tried another source, an MP3 player; no luck.
                  - The Sonos is a line level, variable output, again confirmed good.
                  - I seriously doubt it is the speakers; They are brand new Polk Audio 70RT's, 4 of them. I have over 30 years of mid-level experience in Hi-Fi audio including rough wiring in 5 new construction homes. Even if I messed up on 1 of them (it's possible :-), no way on all 4.
                  - The Russound CA4 has the option of a remote but the manual indicates it is not required, nor does it come in the CA4 "kit".
                  - I also agree: Does the CA4 "require" use of the remote wall control pad. I think that's the $1000 question. It's just that about 4 folks have told me it doesn't, but....?? What's very interesting in regards to that question is the Main Wall Port has the options of wiring direct to speakers, or connecting to the remote wall controller through the use of CAT5/6 (see your diagram above), and then wiring to speakers. I of course have wired the wall port direct to the speakers. Why would they offer that if you cannot wire directly?

What's interesting is that I did connect my test speaker to the Zone 4 RCA line out "Fixed" and do get sound- low level, typical of a line out. But no sound when connecting to the Zone 4 variable out (and of course with plug-in volume turned up).

So that's where I'm at... still stumped. I might take you up on borrowing your remote wall control pad, just to see. You can send an email to me at rd6633 at gmail, and we can discuss that further. I have attached a few pics. Hard to miss something when it is so basic though!

Thanks!

-Roland
                  Attached Files

Comment

I don't know why this would make a difference but I noticed in the CA4 manual:

Note: All four connections from the controller to the wall port must
                    be made
                    , even if there are less than 4 keypads connected to the system.
                    Cables between the wall port and the controller must match numerically
                    (#1 on the wall port to #1 on the controller)

It looks like you only have two cables to the wall port.
                    On a similar note, could it be the Cat 5 cables?
                    DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

Enabled Plug-Ins

Comment

Hi D-

Good catch on the "all 4 keypads connected"... That leads me to a few questions of my own:
                      - "All 4 Keypads connected..." - since I am not planning on using keypads I did not think it an issue. While I have pre-run the full 4 zones/wires, I have only installed 2 zones of speakers. Sure, I could connect 2 more Cat5e patch cables, but they would be going to open wires. More importantly, I am not using "keypads" and have not used the "keypad" connectors on the back of the main distribution wallplate. I guess I could connect 2 more patch cables but I doubt it will make a difference, but can't hurt to try. I could believe that if I was using the room keypads, then I might need to connect them all since there is additional circuitry involved with those, but I'm not - I am choosing the direct speaker wire option.
                      - RE: the integrity of the Cat5 cables... No issue there, I have already tested other, brand new cables, both Cat5e and Cat6. I have about 6 new ones lying around. The gray ones you see in the photos came with the Russound and are Cat5e. My entire system is Cat6, so I tried several of those - no luck.

Thanks David. I'll let you know about sending me a room remote keypad after I try a few more things.

-R

Comment

Working...
                      X