Total Newbie with X10 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total Newbie with X10 question

New user: Pi based zee. All up and running with Z-wave devices so far (indoor motion sensor turning on a outlet...gee...but it works).

I have the CM15a installed and to some degree working. I can turn my X10 wall switch on and off manually from the devices web page.

However, I have an X10 outdoor motion sensor that I have no idea how to detect. The sensor transmits to an X10 receiver (not the CM15a) that already existed and translates it to a powerline command for unit 2 on.

I also have an outdoor X10 flood light that is motion sensitive and when it turns on , it sends an "unit 2 on" command to my X10 wall switch. That is done thru the power lines.

I'd like to get it all under homeseer control so I can write more events. But I see no way to react to the X10 motion sensor, or detect the on command from the floodlight. Where do I start? I am just completely lost!

I would switch it all over to Z-wave, but amazingly, there seems to be no decent outdoor motions sensors! The X10 outdoor motion sensor works perfectly, dusk to dawn, adjustable delay, etc. Can't believe there is not a similar Z-wave device that works well!

So, please how do I get started seeing my X10 wireless motion detector? And is there anyway to see commands in the log from X10?

Thanks so much!

Welcome the Homeseer Board.

The answer(s) to your questions can become complicated and confusing because X10 has been around for quite a while and approaches to interfacing to it are somewhat varied. Worse, HST has chosen not to fully support X10 in HS3, so it's been left to a volunteer to pick up the slack. So, there's a bad news, good news, bad news sort of story. Here's my take on a first step to address the immediate problem. A more robust and extensible solution is possible, but will take some extra hardware, possibly another plug-in, and some work. I'll leave that for another discussion.

I assume your existing receiver is translating a wireless X10 signal into a power line signal. Your light switch is receiving that signal and responding. In order for HS to do the same, you will need to create an event with the trigger - X10: Received X10 Command. You will need to know the House Code that the wall switch is using as well as the Unit Code (2). That - in principle - will allow HS to detect and respond the the motion sensor signal.

Now here's the problem, I'm not sure that trigger works on the Pi with the CM15A. It did not work with the Windows X10 plug-in, but Mark has provided some beta versions that do implement that function. Unfortunately, I don't believe he has addressed Linux yet, but I may be wrong. On the other hand, the Pi version of the plug-in may work out of the box, so it's worth a try.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thanks Mike,

Yes you have described the situation as I have it.

My issue is that I don't know how to create the X10 remote device so I can use it to trigger the wall switch. I have defined the wall switch, and using the CM15a, I can turn it on and off with the HS3 web page.

I'd be more than happy to toss all the X10 and go Z-wave (or anything!) that gives me outside motion detection. I can replace the switches to the walkway lights and spotlights and control them with the Homeseer. I just need reliable outside motion detection!

Thanks again,
      Paul

Comment

Originally posted by paulct54 View Post
        My issue is that I don't know how to create the X10 remote device so I can use it to trigger the wall switch.
        Paul,
        As you are currently configured, you do not need to have a device that corresponds to the motion sensor. (You can create a virtual device that you can use to indicate the status of the motion sensor, but that will probably make your life more difficult without adding much benefit.) Instead, you just need to have HS detect the X10 signals that it generates.

Right now, it is set up to send an On command to a light switch, so it sends an X10 On command to the HC/UC of the switch. You can change that output to a different X10 address, though, so the switch will not respond. Then you can (if the plug-in supports it, see my previous post) have HS detect the X10 On signal and respond any way you wish by creating an event with a trigger that detects when a specific X10 command is received on the power line.
        Attached Files
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Sorry I forgot to reply to this! It worked as you described, thanks very much!

Paul

Comment

Working...
          X