Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hue Wireless Dimmer Switch does this work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hue Wireless Dimmer Switch does this work?

Just curious, does this dimmer work with the plugin in terms of using it for other functions? Like would it appear as a device and register if I press On, Off, and so on meaning I can use these with the Hue plugin but for other functions, like if I press one of them On it turns on an Insteon light via a HS3 event? Figure probably not but be cool if it did.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...Y3CX4RE39A1QM2

It does work. If the plugin finds a dimmer device on the bridge it will show the dimmer in the pages to select. From there you can click on it to create a device relating to it. Make sure to enable "Use simple dimmer status" in the configuration page as the different possible hold statusses (long/short etc) do not work well for the plugin. When set to Simple it will simply set on/off/dim down/dim up.

You have to be aware that the status of the button is received by polling, so the polling frequency setting in the configuration page is influencing the response. I have it here set at 2 seconds. This means that when you press a button, it randomly takes between 0 and 2 seconds before the response is set in HomeSeer. Which is reasonable, but ofcourse not superfast. Using "non critical" lights is good for this

Wim
    -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

That makes sense, it's just an inexpensive way to get a remote I think! On Amazon.ca they have someone selling them (obv from China based on the name) for $1.50 with $5 shipping lol. Not sure if they are fake or what, or how they could be fake, but at that price I might as well buy a ton lol. Bought a normal legit one to test it today to see.

If it polls though does that mean it wouldn't support pressing the same button? For example, say I press Off on it, it polls and registers that Off was pressed. What happens if a few minutes later though I press Off again, would it just never register anything since it was already in the Off status? Just wondering as I'd love to use these for other events not just Hue. So for example have it control an Insteon light. Just not sure how that works if I was to press Off and turn off the light via HS3, but then manually turn the light on from the switch. Would pressing Off again on the remote still turn off the light, or would I have to press On, wait 2 seconds and then press off?

Thanks!

Comment

That is a good question. I am not sure if the plugin just 'sets' and changes the time om the device, or if it skips. I would have to check it. It is depending on the bridge, I am not sure if it changes the time on the bridge when it discovers another off signal. I will check tonight what it does... also from you side you could check the same.

if the bridge updates the status with a double off, it is going to be easy to do it with the plugin, but if the bridge does not update it, it will be impossible for the plugin as well.

Thanks
        Wim
        -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

Comment

That makes sense, I'll know tonight as I bought one on Amazon via Prime so can just return it if it doesn't work.

Comment

I use one to control a Z-Wave switch. Works ok. (I have a Hue bulb behind the Z-Wave switch.)

I doesn't update. I just pressed off a couple of times.

Off JowiHue JowiHue Vinterhave spisebord dimmer 3 Dimmer Switch-8 Dimmer Switch 23-10-2016 20:29:36

Regards
            Morten
            Last edited by mhn; October 25, 2016, 10:01 AM. Reason: More info.

Comment

ryuvann,

I have checked the behaviour for the buttons and the current version is not updating the time yet when you press the same button twice with some time in between. I have updated that behaviour in the plugin.

I am sending the updated plugin today to HST. Somewhere this week it it will be available as new release (with lots of other chaanges)

Thanks,

Wim
              -- Wim

Comment

That's awesome thanks so much!

Comment

Do I have to do something special to make it appear in HS3? Loving this switch so far, it's so cool how it can just magnet or stick anywhere or pop off like a remote. I just wish it was a bit smaller like normal Decora size but still pretty nice looking.

It works great so far though but nothing appears in HS3 or the plugin under config. Tried restarting the plugin but it just shows me my lights.

Comment

Ryuvann,

In the menu of the plugin, you choose the dimmer switches entry. From there you can enable the devices.

Thanks,

Wim
                    Attached Files
                    -- Wim

Comment

Great thanks, out of town until tonight but will test it after. I know for sure I didn't have that option before but I guess it gets added once a switch is added so didn't even notice it. Really love the dimmer so far, so versatile! Even if someone didn't have Hue lights, for $59 CAD for the bridge plus $24 for these remotes it's definitely an inexpensive way to get a nice remote for HS3. I believe you mentioned the plugin updating to support multiple taps which is great. It seems like the remote does register it since if I press Off on it, the Hue app shows "Off pressed 1 minute ago" then if I press Off again it says "Off pressed Just Now" so it definitely sees individual presses which is great.

Comment

Ryuvann,

The part of double taps, or long taps will not work with the plugin. The disadvantage of having to poll for updates instead of the Philips bridge sending its changes to the plugin is that a user will double tap within 2 seconds. The plugin only checks once per two seconds. So chances are very high it will not see both updates. The same goes for the long or short press, both are statusses with a short momentum. There is no way the plugin could reliable see that status.
                        Once Philips would step out of its proprierty thinking, and starts sending signals through the bridge to the outiside world, the plugin could respond far more faster to HomeSeer. Until that time we are stuck on a response on the switch somewhere between 0 a 2 seconds (if you have set the pollingfrequency to 2 seconds).

Wim
                        -- Wim

Comment

Hi there,

Sorry I should clarify what I mean by wanting double taps. I think you said your new version fixes this unless I misunderstood. Right now as a test I have it set that if I press the Hue remote ON an event turns on my dining room light. If I turn it OFF it turns off the dining room light. That works, but the problem is say I press OFF on the Hue remote and turn off the dining room light, then walk up to the light and physically turn it on from the switch, I can't go back to the Hue dimmer and press OFF to turn it off now, nothing happens because the plugin thinks it's still already in Off status. I have to press On, then press Off for it to work. So I'm more hoping it can be fixed so that it registers all presses, doesn't have to be double or triple presses, just have it stay in sync like that.

Also mine doesn't seem to poll every 2 seconds, I timed it and it's more like 3 seconds. I see a value "Polling frequency (seconds, 1 decimal place) for checking status of lights" set to 3.0 by default in the plugin, should that be changed to 2 or are dimmers different? Even as is it's not a bit deal, it still responds pretty quick.

Comment

ryuvann,

Needed to be sure you understood what I ment. If what you want is indeed to be able to press off, switch the light on with other apps, and off again (or on) with the button, it will work that way in the new verson. Normally you will have more then 3 seconds in between the presses.
                            I did send the new version to HST last Tuesday, so it seems to take a bit longer before they publish it.

The polling frequency is what I am talking about. I have it here set to 2 seconds, with the new motion sensors from Philips. I am controling different kind of lights now with it and it works perfect at two seconds set.

Thanks,

Wim
                            -- Wim

Comment

Great thanks, yeah that's what I mean. I don't really want to get into anything fancy like double taps and what not as it gets confusing when a simple remote does too much. I just want to be able to use it as a virtual 3-way switch in some cases, where I might turn it on with the remote but off with the physical dimmer. The new version sounds like it will do exactly what I want.

Comment

Working...
                              X