www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer General Discussion Area

HomeSeer General Discussion Area General discussion about HomeSeer that does not fall into any other category or are not specific to 1.x or 2.x versions of HomeSeer.

Old November 6th, 2003, 03:32 PM
Super Seer

I monitor my garage door for opening and closing. I also have a script that tells me (and keeps reminding me!) that the door has been open for more than 10 minutes. As far as magnetic switches go...here's the canadian site. Look for part #49-497 - it should work fine.

There is also a more expensive and likely more rugged from Smarthome, that mounts on the ground. I used one similar to the radio shack cheap one and mounted it about head high on the garage door - with the mate mounted on the door frame. When the door is closed the circuit is closed through the magnetic switch to the universal module. The circuit opens when the door does and HS sees the x10 signal from the universal module.

I don't use x10 to close or open the door....but you can do so using a powerflash unit.

http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Cate...log=RadioShack

....Jeff
Old November 6th, 2003, 03:39 PM
OverSeer

Thanks. That is the one I was looking at today. I just was not sure.

Now I just have to figure out the best way to mount it.

Cheers,
Bob

------------------------------
Pentium 4 - 2 GHz
1 GB DDR RAM @433Mhz
Homeseer and Homeseer Phone
DooMotion Plug-in
HomeSeer PCI Voice Modem
MR26A with plug-in
Media Player Plug-in
AT&T Natural Voices
More to come....
Old November 6th, 2003, 04:14 PM
anogee

You have to be a bit creative when mounting these, but there are many options.

First, decide if you want to detect when your door is open or closed. With a normal door this isn't much of an issue, but with a garage door there is a very wide zone of not open or not closed.

If you want to only allow closing your door, and you are using a typical alarm contact that is closed when the magnet is near it, this means that you need to mount it near the garage opener with the magnet on the top of the door.

Just open your door, then look for places where the door comes in contact with stationary location where you could mount the sensor. You might have to mount it hanging down from the ceiling so it hovers over where the top of the door stops. If at all possible, mount the magnet and sensor in such a way that the magnet doesn't move past the sensor. It should move toward and away from the sensor. If the magnet goes across the sensor, it could magnetize it over time, and that is bad.
Old November 6th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Seer Master

In order to prevent your door from being opened using a series-connected magnetic reed switch with a universal module, you'll want either the Radio Shack 49-532 or 49-533, depending on which end you mount them to.

If you want it to work like mine, and allow the closer to be triggered no matter how far "open" the door is, use a normally-closed switch and place it so that the magnet is next to it when the door is fully closed (which will OPEN the switch and thereby not allow the universal module to trigger the door opener). Place the switch somewhere on the side as JeffCharger and others state, with the magnet on the door. be sure anything mounted clears the track guides and mounting brackets. Watching the door move a few times should give you clues about where to put it.

If you want to only allow the X10 to close the door from wide-open position, use the normally-open switch, and place so that the magnet is next to it when the door is fully open, near the closer mechanism. The effect with this is that if the door is not fully open, you won't be able to trigger the closer at all from X10.

- Gordon

"Security is EVERYONE'S business!"
Old November 6th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Seer Master

This gem often goes unnoticed. There are a couple ways. The easiest way is to send an email to your cell phone email address from HS or some other monitoring package.

I happen to have a Nokia GSM phone with T-Mobile prepaid service (pay as you need it) which I no longer used, so I got a data cable to tie it to the computer using a serial port. Then with the right version of Nokia Data Suite and an HS plug-in written by Richard Samphire (v 0.0.36), and some of the "glue" dependency packages, you can set up a 2-way interface to/from HS and your cell phone's SMS service.

Then you just write a script like:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
sub main()
dim sMessage ' as string
dim sCLI ' as string

' read the message and the cli from the homeseer devices
'
' NOTE: if you change the names of the devices
' you will need to change them here as well

sMessage = hs.DeviceStringByName("SMS Inbound Message")
sCLI = hs.DeviceStringByName("SMS Inbound CLI")

select case UCase(sMessage)
case "TIME"
if sCLI&lt;&gt;"" then
' reply to the mobile with the current time
sendSMS "Automation Server Time : " & cstr(now()),sCLI
end if
end select
end sub

sub SendSMS(sMessage, sTelNumber)
hs.SetDeviceStringByName "SMS Outbound Message",sMessage
hs.SetDeviceStringByName "SMS Outbound TelNumber",sTelNumber
hs.SetDeviceValueByName "SMS Outbound TelNumber",0
end sub
</pre>

And now I can send an SMS message to my HS box, text of "time", and HS SMS sends back the current time, or use the plugin to notify me of problems even if my home phone line or DSL goes out, as long as the CPU and cell phone have power. Simple example. Lots of capability for notifications or two-way messaging with HS/HSP/etc.

See http://ubb.homeseer.com/6/ubb.x?a=tp...276#6502904276

- Gordon

Old November 6th, 2003, 05:07 PM
Seer Master

don't forget, if you want to use a powerflash unit, you can tie in to the close/open door limit switches on several garage door openers, so you don't have to buy any magnetic switches. This is what I did, and will guarantee an exact status of the door. Problem is that the Powerflash isn't reliable enough for a garagedoor setup, so I am about to run a wire from the limit switches to my computer, and just use the game port.

Old November 7th, 2003, 01:16 PM
OverSeer

Thanks for the advice.

How do I set up the Universal Module (UM506) to only allow the door to be closed.

Cheers,
Bob

Pentium 4 - 2 GHz
1 GB DDR RAM @433Mhz
DooMotion Plug-in
HomeSeer PCI Voice Modem
MR26A with plug-in
Media Player Plug-in
AT&T Natural Voices
More to come....
Old November 7th, 2003, 02:56 PM
Seer Master

Just make sure your garage door opener works with a momentary shorting of the button terminals. Most modern openers work this way, but some people have written here onthe board that they have fried their universal modules or the garage door opener circuitry, so be careful.

This is how I did it with my Craftsman door opener:

Set universal module (mine is X10 PUM01) to Momentary, Sounder & Relay.

Wire one terminal of universal module to one side of your reed switch. Wire the other side of the universal to one side of the garage door opener where the opener button in your garage wires in.

Wire the other side of the reed switch into the other side of the garage door opener where the other side of the opener button wires in.

That places the reed switch in series with the universal module.

Of course, I won't be held responsible if it doesn't work or fries your equipment!

- Gordon

Old November 7th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Seer Deluxe

Not to rain on the parade of security, BUT, If you knew that one's home was under the control of X-10 and most homes have a junction box out side, at the street lamp post, near the bushes, around back - somewhere outside - ??You think you're secure at all??

((I know some of us have added the dual wall sockets that you can turn off, but I only did this on a couple, too much of a pain to plug in the leaf blower, found it was quite a PAIN to then have to turn ON the outlet.))

The outside wall outlet, and extension cord and a maxi controller would reek havoc on anyone’s house!!! Once plugged in to power, you have the house at your control. FOR INSTANCE - if someone was hiding in your bushes, you know they'd get a real rise watching and trying to figure out why your home was going nuts!!! Yes, you'd eventually - shut off the breaker and then follow the bright orange extension cord to 'SOMEONE' hiding out, you can only hope that they'd be in tears, laughing. Cuz, you just got Punk'd.

Just how would this rate on the WAF?

Hope the other members her in So Cal don't get any ideas.
Old November 7th, 2003, 04:45 PM
anogee

I think the people having the will and knowledge to break in your house by figuring out the X-10 code to open your garage door is unlikely. I think your neighbor, buying some X-10 modules to control their lights, and stubling upon one that opens your garage door IS likely. Also, considering how cheaply made X-10 products are, its not unlikely that a burst of noise, X-10 collision, or a list of 1000 other things could trip your X-10 controlled device. Its also likely that someone could hack into your Homeseer Web control, and turn anything they want on or off.

So, as I said before, don't ever use X-10 to control something that involves security or safety.
Old November 7th, 2003, 09:15 PM
OverSeer

I understand how the hook-up goes, but can you explain exactly how it works with X10, the opener and the reed switch.

Will the push button for the garage door opener still work on my wall?

I just need to better understand how the how setup works and how I set up the device (say G12) in HS and what status G12 will show in HS.

I appreciate your help

Cheers,
Bob

Pentium 4 - 2 GHz
1 GB DDR RAM @433Mhz
DooMotion Plug-in
HomeSeer PCI Voice Modem
MR26A with plug-in
Media Player Plug-in
AT&T Natural Voices
More to come....
Old November 8th, 2003, 08:09 AM
napoleon3rd

I got the message on the nokia cable (apprx 40$ for the cable I guess?)
I will investigate if in Spain we still have this SMS service (why would the mobile provider want to give this service?) I know we had it but think they got rid of it.
Question: "glue packages", what do you mean?

Did I understand rightly that when you send an SMS to your special-purpose-HS-mobile-phone that this mobile will pass it on through the Nokia cable to Homeseer?

This functionality is extremely interesting for me as this would enable me to get an SMS when "my friends the regular burglars are paying me a visit again..."... allowing me to not only tape them with the Ocelot+VCR but also to get them caught in the act... in stead of alerting through powerhorn I could go to silent alarm mode when I am close by....

380 MHz, Ocelot, VCR, 2x751, 2x501, 4 ActiveEye, 2 XCAM2, 1 IR Cam, 4 PH, 5 keychain, 3 stick-a-switch, 5 AM, 5 LM, 3 WS, PCS05, univ mod, P-Flash, 11 Door-sensors, DS7000, GlassBreak, MS10a
Old November 8th, 2003, 08:54 AM
OverSeer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
If you want it to work like mine, and allow the closer to be triggered no matter how far "open" the door is, use a normally-closed switch and place it so that the magnet is next to it when the door is fully closed (which will OPEN the switch and thereby not allow the universal module to trigger the door opener). Place the switch somewhere on the side as JeffCharger and others state, with the magnet on the door. be sure anything mounted clears the track guides and mounting brackets. Watching the door move a few times should give you clues about where to put it.

If you want to only allow the X10 to close the door from wide-open position, use the normally-open switch, and place so that the magnet is next to it when the door is fully open, near the closer mechanism. The effect with this is that if the door is not fully open, you won't be able to trigger the closer at all from X10.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am a little confused with the way you have described the normally closed switch. I want to be able to close my door no matter how far open it is. I think I am going to want to use a normally open switch instead of a normally closed one.

Gord, can you please explain the above quote again. I just cannot see how the normally closed switch will work with closing the door.

Also, how can I get the status of the garage door in HS. Does the universal module display some kind of status?

Cheers,
Bob

Pentium 4 - 2 GHz
1 GB DDR RAM @433Mhz
DooMotion Plug-in
HomeSeer PCI Voice Modem
MR26A with plug-in
Media Player Plug-in
AT&T Natural Voices
More to come....
Old November 8th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Seer Master

If you put the magnet next to the switch when the door is completely closed, the magnet changes the state of the switch. A normally-closed switch is closed (lets electricity pass through it) when there is NO magnet next to it. When the magnet is next to it, it OPENs the switch, which shuts off the universal module's contacts.

And that's what you want. You want to allow the universal module to temporarily close (short) the contacts across your existing garage door button only whenthe door is not closed. And yes, the existing button should still work. When the door is closed, the switch opens, which prevents the universal module from shorting the contacts, so it can't "push the button" to open the garage door.

If you aren't sure which to order, order one of each - they're cheap enough. See the pages at smarthome.com below.

http://www.smarthome.com/7113.HTML

or for garage door units:

http://www.smarthome.com/7455.HTML

- Gordon

"There are several theories detailing how to win arguments with women. After years of extensive research, I've concluded NONE of them work."

[This message was edited by Gordon Cunningham on Sat, 08 November 2003 at 10:43 PM.]

[This message was edited by Gordon Cunningham on Sat, 08 November 2003 at 10:51 PM.]
Old November 8th, 2003, 09:50 PM
Seer Master

I have no idea about cell services in Spain, so you’ll have to do some research. You’ll have to find out if your provider has a simple messaging service (short text messages via your cell phone – what we call SMS) and if your phone will take a data cable. You’ll also need to check to see if the software will work with your system.

I believe the plug-in uses the Nokia software DLL’s or something in that package in order to talk to the cell phone via the serial data cable. If that is the case, you’ll have to meet the requirements of the package, or it won’t work for you. I think I had to download another OCX or DLL from somewhere to make the system work, but the info is in the docs.

Read the info on this board, and get a copy of the plug-in and read about the issues. Don't spend any money until you undertsand what the issues are.

- Gordon

"There are several theories detailing how to win arguments with women. After years of extensive research, I've concluded NONE of them work."
Old November 10th, 2003, 10:15 AM
anogee

I'm actually just setting this up now, so I was thinking about this also. Alot depends on the hardware you have. I myself am not using X-10, which means I don't need the "guard" switch, and instead need a position switch.

The hardware is simple, and you hook that up as Gordon decribes. Since I'm not using X-10, I need to give HomeSeer the ability to know the position of the door. If you are just using X-10 with a Universal module, you don't need this because you have installed the magnet switch to be the "smarts." Just send your X-10 code when you want to close the door. Doing when the door is closed doesn't hurt because the magnet switch is off.

My setup is a bit more involved. I have two garage doors, each generating a signal if the door is closed. I have an IR beam going across both doors, and that signal going back to HomeSeer, and I have a motion detector in my garage. Each door can also be controlled by HomeSeer.

I am planning to use 4 virtual codes which represent 1) R door open, 2) L door open. 3) R door open request, and 4) L door open request. The first two indicate if the door is open or closed, the second two are if I want the door opened or closed. HomeSeer comes into play when the doors are not in the position I request. The IR beam is used to both trigger the alarm, and "beep" when someone crosses the beem to let me know if someone entered the garage. The light, which turns on or off based on inputs from the door position, time of day, and motion sensors. For example if its daytime, and a door is open, turn off the light. If the door is closed, but motion is detected, keep the light on.

In my opinion, an IR beam is the best way to trigger an alarm, not the door position sensors. Why? Because if something goes haywire with the doors, the alarm won't trigger unless someone actually enters the garage. Also, this allows the alarm to "arm" before the doors are actually closed, as long as the beam is clear. In fact, I may make it so that the alarm will only trip if the beam is broken & a door is open.
Old November 10th, 2003, 10:26 AM
anogee

This does vary from one wireless carrier to the next, but most allow SMS messages to be sent to and from e-mail address, which HomeSeer currently already supports. Try entering an e-mail address in the "to" field instead of a phone number to test it. You can e-mail an SMS to a phone typically using &lt;phone number&gt;@some domain.com
Old November 11th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Seer Master

Those are good ideas for your setup, anogee. I also use a motion detector in the garage, as well as a door sensors on all three doors in the garage to my alarm system, which is also hooked into HS, so I have triple status with which to work. Takes some logical thinking and mapping, but it works well.

- Gordon

Old November 11th, 2003, 10:51 AM
Seer Master

Actually, in some countries, the use of an email address to send messages to cell phones' text systems is in direct conflict with privacy laws. Also, some carriers charge for each SMS message, so they may not allow email addresses to hook to them which could be used for spam and therefore result in charging the user for spam messages. (Which is a perfect reason why we should have anti-spam laws like the fax laws in the US, IMHO.)

- Gordon

Old May 7th, 2004, 12:50 PM
gdowkpc

How does HS know if the door is closed? Does it get a status from the UM, or do I need a second sensor....like the door/window sensor?